2011 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by rmartin65, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

With the combine beginning tomorrow, I think that having a thread in which we discuss weigh-ins, drills, interviews, pretty much anything to do with the combine, is a pretty good idea. This way we are not looking through all kinds of threads to see who did what, and who interviewed whom (correct usage or no? not an English major).

Here is nfl.com's site on the combine, they always keep it up to date: http://www.nfl.com/combine

2. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    2nd for a sticky. :D

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Buzz about USC OT Tyron Smith's weigh-in (from draftcountdown.com)

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

This is off subject some, but not entirely because it involves crack football evaluator and rock-star of the NFL Network, Mike Mayock.
    In rating and grouping CBs together the other day on NFL Network in preparation for the upcoming Combine in a discussion of defensive backs, Mayock used the term "tranches" ? Hadn't heard that one outside of the context of a discussion involving subprime mortgages and Credit Default Swaps ? Mayock do like to throw his words around.

5. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I'm really stoked to see the TE's work out tomorrow...can't wait to see who we draft.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

See now, I personally find this both hilarious as well as utilitarian. Because ya know, the Texans do seem to have taken a somewhat larger than proportionate share of TE's in the past draft or two, and your original and insightful comment which highlights this fact has made he aware of this for the first time. Kudo's to you for coming up with this fresh angle on the way the Texans front office has approached this aspect of managing a NFL franchise.

I Thank you. Your post shows great insight and originality, and I have benefitted from both the entertainment value and knowledge it has provided.

7. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Its funny but an even more scary thought because of the fact that Owen Daniels did not get franchised before the deadline making the possibility of his tenure with the Texans over more realistic. Despite Dressen playing extremely well last year IMO, he's not a lock to be the opening day starter and with the Texans not afraid of drafting TE's with Daniels on the roster who knows how many resources they'll spend bringing more in if the plan is to let him walk.

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame 2nd round pick here we come :gun:

8. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Good grief that guys got long arms and big hands. I hope he and other OT's do very well in the Combine and move up the draft board to top 10 status so that other players may fall to us.

If we take a TE at all in this draft Kubiak should be fired on the spot.

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

probably means Owen Daniels will be accepting the highest offer elsewhere.

10. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

There we go. Let's move him into the top 10.

I hope Newton has a good combine. Like you've said before, it would help us get the defensive player we need.

11. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'm fine with Daniels moving on to somewhere else, I thought we should have let him go before last year. Dreesen looked good 2 yrs. ago in relief work and did very good this past season as well. I'd move forward with Dreesen, Casey, and Graham at TE. Daniels is to expensive and injured to keep around.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Owen is top shelf in my book. Dreesen fits journeyman type label to me. Casey is a special teams leader who fills multiple back-up roles. Graham was a luxury pick Texans cannot afford to make but did anyway in response to possibility of losing Owen to injury or free agency.

13. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I liked Lee Smith

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Solder is showing why he should be among the top tackles in this draft (if not the number one tackle.)

Excellent 40 time (I heard anywhere from 4.97 to 5.05) and 10 yard split at 1.61
    (The 10-yard time is especially important for offensive and defensive linesmen because they usually don't run further than that during a play.)

Solder's 10-yd time compares well with last year DBs at the combine (That's pretty sick!)

"Nate just ran his first 40 yard dash. Unoffially, Solder ran a 4.97 and more important, his 10 yard split was 1.61 seconds, the best of any lineman so far. His 4.97 forty ranks second.

Also, a sign of explosiveness, Nate Solder broad jumped 9'2", almost a foot over last year's average for offensive tackles. He out-jumped the other top linemen in this year's NFL draft.

UPDATE - Solder ran a 4.99 in his second forty."

Also, he did well in the mirror drill, showing that he can bend his knees with ease.

15. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Just watched a bit of it at nfl.com..... now that is some REALLY boring TV.

16. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

LOL, that's why they have two cameras.
    I like to listen to different things they talk about (how to eveluate different positions and stuff) and then watch certain drills to see if the guys I want to see can do well in those drills (guys that I don't see enough games of.)

17. drs23

drs23 Veteran

LOL! My wife asked me to paint something so she could watch it dry. Said she would enjoy that MUCH better.

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I hope you didn't bite the bait, LOL!

19. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Texans will draft another TE! :vincepalm:

Virgil Green (Nevada) is somewhat undersized at 6'3, 249 but posseses long arms (33-1/2).
    He put up some incredible numbers:
    10'10 broad jump, 42.5 vertical, 25 reps.

He's projected to run somewhere around 4.4 in the 40

Made a couple of nice catches in one of the drilsl (text-book arm-extending, high-point on the outside shoulder, impossible-to-defend kind of catch.)

20. drs23

drs23 Veteran

Naa, told her I was off the clock and the dishwasher needed to be unloaded. :D

SeƱor Stan likes this.