New England Patriots............$ 96,913,133
Atlanta Falcons...................$ 95,062,952
Cleveland Browns.................$ 93,932,182
Cincinnati Bengals................$ 93,840,588
Dallas Cowboys....................$ 90,340,939
Seattle Seahawks.................$ 89,075,820
Tampa Bay Buccaneers..........$ 84,592,822
Kansas City Chiefs................$ 81,829,650
Are we still allowed to support arguements with facts and figures? For those "McNair is cheap" posters out there... discuss

Are we still allowed to support arguements with facts and figures? For those "McNair is cheap" posters out there... discuss

that number obviously doesn't include signing bonuses thus the Cowboys, Pats, and Skins being near the bottom...

..but thanks for trying. signing bonuses are how high revenue teams can make payroll work and improve their squads.

that number obviously doesn't include signing bonuses thus the Cowboys, Pats, and Skins being near the bottom...

..but thanks for trying. signing bonuses are how high revenue teams can make payroll work and improve their squads.

So, factoring in the payroll, are we near the bottom? Or, do you imagine we're still in the top half of the league?

Didn't Jerry spend a couple extra bucks on a palace last year, after throwing stupid money after stupid players the year before?

Another fact that most fans don't take into account regarding all the benefits that the NFL owners (including Uncle Bob) don't have to fund for the players during an uncapped year..........................401Ks; annuity programs; health reimbursement accounts; severance pay; performance-based pay; and the tuition-assistance plan. Extra play money.

USA Today said:
For each player, the database shows his base salary, signing bonus, other bonuses and cap value. The base salary is the value according to his contract; however, contracts are not guaranteed and he may not have received the entire amount. The column labeled "salary" is the actual amount he received in base salary and bonuses combined.
:howdy:

Signing bonuses do indeed count against the cap.

I don't even bother to argue the difference anymore. The Texans( Astros too) spend poorly versus not enough. That has been consistent through both the Caper/Casserly and Smithiak administrations.

I don't even bother to argue the difference anymore. The Texans( Astros too) spend poorly versus not enough. That has been consistent through both the Caper/Casserly and Smithiak administrations.

This holds more truth then the screams that Mcnair does not spend enough.

This holds more truth then the screams that Mcnair does not spend enough.

Agreed. Our biggest uses of cash last year were for Matt Schaub ($17 Million), Antonio Smith ($15 Million) and Dunta Robinson ($10 Million). Guess what, 1 of those guys we traded for, 1 of those guys we picked up in free agency and the last was a free agent we franchised.

were middle of the road if not a little higher than middle of the road.

we are Top 5 in revenue though.

Who cares where we are revenue wise....that just means we have a healthy market which isn't bad at all.

The guy is spending money so the whole McNair is cheap theory is crap. It has been crap, the guy has spent money before and just because he's not throwing around huge bags of cash during a crappy FA period that doesn't make him cheap. It makes him smart. I swear it's getting to the point where I'm starting to feel some people around here wouldn't mind watching this team sink into salary cap hell just to see us sign overpriced FAs every single year and be tops in the league at money spent.

I have plenty of beefs with McNair and Smithiak, most of them are decision making, not the inability to sign a player. We could've had Cedric Benson for cheap, spending money isn't the main problem here... and no, Leigh Bodden is not worth that contract, so don't even go there.

Last edited:
How are we so high on this list? I was under the impression that we were doing average to good in terms of salary cap. Can anyone interpret these numbers?

ps - everything I learned about the salary cap was from playing Madden

How are we so high on this list? I was under the impression that we were doing average to good in terms of salary cap. Can anyone interpret these numbers?

ps - everything I learned about the salary cap was from playing Madden

Well, dumbta cost 10 mill., plus any dead money.

Well, dumbta cost 10 mill., plus any dead money.
Dead money has nothing to do with it. The payroll figure is strictly the $cash handed out in 2009 by the Texans to players in salary and bonuses. So no previous to '09 bonus money for any player on or off the roster is reflected by these totals.

If anything this tells me that we waisted our money stupidly on FA before and now we are trying not to make those mistakes.

Dead money has nothing to do with it. The payroll figure is strictly the $cash handed out in 2009 by the Texans to players in salary and bonuses. So no previous to '09 bonus money for any player on or off the roster is reflected by these totals.

Am I getting the terminology right when I say "dead money"?

What I mean is the money that is spent towards paying players that aren't on the roster, like guys that we release.

Am I getting the terminology right when I say "dead money"?

What I mean is the money that is spent towards paying players that aren't on the roster, like guys that we release.

Yes it simply doesn't apply to a payroll. There is payroll - money that actually goes out that year and dead money - money which has been paid out but has not yet been accounted for on the salary cap.

So for instance last year Smith got a $5 year, $35 mil deal with a signing bonus of $12.5 and a base 2009 pay of $3 mil. The payroll for 2009 would reflect expenditures of $15.5 mil - hard dollars already spent. The salary cap for 2009 would have him down for $2.5 mil of pro-rated signing bonus and $3 mil in salary for $5.5 mil of salary cap space. No dead money involved so far. If 2010 was a normal capped year and for some reason the Texans were to cut Smith then they would have to account for all the money paid out which hadn't gone on the 2009 salary cap so the $15.5 mil minus the $5.5 mil and they would have $10 mil in dead money on the 2010 cap. That can change with a June 1st cut but no need to go there right now.

So what was the deal with Matt Schaub's money?

Base Salary: $ 6,950,000
Other Bonuses: $ 10,050,000
Total Salary: $ 17,000,000
Cap Space: $ 10,250,000

So what was the deal with Matt Schaub's money?

Base Salary: $ 6,950,000
Other Bonuses: $ 10,050,000
Total Salary: $ 17,000,000
Cap Space: $ 10,250,000

We exercised the option to keep him which was $10MM. For accounting purposes, this may have been spread over several years resulting in Schaub accounting for $10MM against the cap instead of $17MM even though $17MM was actually paid.

were middle of the road if not a little higher than middle of the road.

we are Top 5 in revenue though.
Sounds like a well run business to me. Income much better than outgo. I am trying to run my budget that way. I am trying out free agents if any ladies are interested but I will not be drafting as my previous history at selecting long term starters is atrocious.

FYI:

Matt Schaub 2010:

Base: $ 4,500,000.00
Allocated Bonus Pay: $ 3,300,000.00

Total 2010 Cap Figure: $ $7,800,000.00

FYI:

Matt Schaub 2009:

Base: $ 6,950,000.00
Allocated Bonus Pay: $ 3,300,000.00

Total 2009 Cap Figure: $ $10,250,000.00

Last edited:
He gets an annual salary (a), and he gets a prorated portion of his bonus (b), which the sum of, equals his Cap hit towards the teams salary cap (c).

Thus,

a + b = c

:D

Ok, but is it a or b?
a= $7,800,000.00
b= $10,250,000.00

They need to hire the Eagles cap guy. The eagles pay with cash(roster bonuses) vs credit (signing bonuses) and whenever they want to get a big time free agent,they go get him and still have plenty of cap space. They also pay players earlier once they identify the players uptick and get him before he sees his true market value. If ryans and daniels were in philly,they would have been signed long term after they're 2nd season. They bet with the violent nature and risk of injury,most players will take the money now vs waiting it out.

They need to hire the Eagles cap guy. The eagles pay with cash(roster bonuses) vs credit (signing bonuses) and whenever they want to get a big time free agent,they go get him and still have plenty of cap space. They also pay players earlier once they identify the players uptick and get him before he sees his true market value. If ryans and daniels were in philly,they would have been signed long term after they're 2nd season. They bet with the violent nature and risk of injury,most players will take the money now vs waiting it out.

Chris Olsen is one of the best in the business. He spent 13 years in the NFL league office in New York and touched every single players' contract making sure they were in line with the CBA and salary cap.

Back