2009 Gosselin Draft Coverage

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Errant Hothy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

As is tradition I'll be doing my best to post all of Rick Gosselin's draft information for the board to see, digest and discuss.

For those who don't know who Rick Gosselin is; well to put it bluntly he's the king of the Mock Draft. For the last several years his third, and final, mock draft has been the most accurate of all mock drafts. He does this not by devouring hours and hours of tape, but by having a vast array of contacts that don't blow too much smoke at him this time of year (he quards these contacts religously). Or in other words, that man has more truthful insider inforamtion then anybody else.

So here we go!

Gosselin's post-Combine Top 10:

Link:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ories/030109dnsponflcombinetop10.39e1468.html

NFL scouting combine review – Going down

Link:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/030109dnsponflgoingdown.39e2c6e.html

NFL scouting combine review – Going up

Link:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...in/stories/030109dnsponflgoingup.39e444b.html

There are some other odds and ends at the Dallas Morning News' site, like an intersting article about how this year's draft will end a streak of 14 draft that a Miami player was choosen in the first round (link - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...elin/stories/030109dnspogosselin.39dd48d.html ). Other then that I'll post the more relevant info (position breakdows and such) when Gosselin does.

2. Errant Hothy

A goor read on the USC LB corps.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...elin/stories/040509dnspogosselin.374cc1b.html

3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

4. danger6

danger6 Rookie

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

I mentioned this as a possibility a few weeks back. Ayers has really been flying up some people's boards recently. I've seen some mocks with him as a top 10 pick. Most mocks have him in the 2nd.

It worries me that he's just a guy that turned it on to get paid and that he may turn into a slug once he gets some cash.

6. krocket

krocket Rookie

BTW, I was just listening to "Path to the Draft" and Mike Mayock mentioned that looking back on this draft 3 years from now, Ayers will be the best defensive player taken this draft. Take it for what it is worth.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I was PM'ing Jgl35 and we were discussing the Eagles and Texans drafts and told him that I liked Ayers since he can really be dominant at times....I'd love to see him here coming off the edge. I tend to watch more SEC ball than any other conference and think he will be a player in the league.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I don't see this happening - this guys an Antonio Smith clone who's maybe slightly quicker off the edge. But clearly this 15th pick wouldn't see much starting time at DE with Mario & A.Smith also on the roster.
    And the Chiefs taking a 4-3 WIL at #3 overall for their new 3-4 D scheme -
    horsedung, time for Gosselin to retire.

9. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

The guy has been pretty accurate over the years. I think rotating with Smith makes perfect sense...I'd rather have Mathews....orakpo in range with the eleventh selection.....

The number is twenty five....that's how many sacks we generated in '08. they have to move that number up. what ever they got to do. That and the green zone numbers have to move up if they have a shot at wining the division. And getting from twnety five to plus thirty will not be easy. But that's what they have to do to move into "contender" range.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

The scary thing about him is that he looks like a 1-year wonder. He's really been racing up the boards recently. Mayock has him as a top 10 talent.

I wouldn't be upset if we picked him although I imagine some people would blast us for reaching if we did.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

TTP

If Kubes & Bush are serious about playing pressure defense they need to get atleast 1 speed rushing DE, a fast Sam that can play opposite Adibi & provide pressure offf the edge & a DT like Roy Miller or Baker to help clog the running lanes. A CB with speed to replace Petey would also help.

I think they can add these pieces & a RB but if we spend draft choices on defense we are going to miss out on one of the best interior OL classes I've seen. Oh well that's the price Kubes has to pay to fix this putrid defense so be it.

That's why I'm for trading down if possible to add more picks so that we can draft Luigs or Caldwell in rds 3-4

This is also why I hope they pick Sidbury and Barwin or Mathews, they add much needed speed @ positions where it needs to be added Sam & DE.

If they add this you will see a much improved Mario & Okoye.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

That is why I hope thy take Barwin. Hard working team oriented guy who runns a 4.47 40 @ 260 lbs.

Can you say stud?

Reminds me of Jared Allen

13. Errant Hothy

14. Errant Hothy

Wide Reciever rankings:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tories/041209dnsponfldraftseries.3d6361e.html

Overall grade 10 out of 10

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My thoughts...

16. Errant Hothy

Cornerback rankings:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tories/041309dnsponfldraftseries.41a7220.html

Overall grade 6 out of 10

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Ayers looks like a natural RDE to me, question is does he fit the "impact" role so often referred to from Texans?

Krocket is right about Mayock comment, so there is some juice behind the pick that could be gaining favor, still seems like a high reward high risk move. can the Texans sustain such a hit if he busts? I suppose so, maybe they feel he would have enough support in place to make his transition easier however I would want more of a sure thing with the 1st then a developmental pass rusher in 2nd. I think Sintim is the perfect guy to develop or even English out of that 2nd grouping.

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

19. Errant Hothy

Tight End rankings:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...t/stories/041409dnspodraftseries.35835cd.html

Overall grade 8 out of 10.

20. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame