2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Jan 20, 2013.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

2008 Houston trades #18 to Baltimore who selects QB Joe Flacco. Texans convert #26 into Duane Brown, 3rd round RB Steve Slaton and in 6th Dominique Barber. I really like trade then.

Hindsight is perfect but would you do that trade again or select Flacco #18 considering the team you had in 2008? A QB going to SB in his fifth year versus your all pro LT? Slaton did have value although Barber was basically an injury. I guess what I am asking is a Super Bowl QB in his prime or Duane Brown? Keep in mind that Brown just signed a team friendly contract and Joe Flacco is in his last contract year earning $6.76m + $2.1m roster bonus and woul likely command a very huge contract.

2. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

We just traded 2 second round picks for Schaub. Why on earth would we draft a QB in the first round after that?

3. ralph

ralph Rookie

So much wrong with this thread.

4. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Why didn't we take Brady in the first round in 2000?

And don't even use the excuse that we didn't have a team, that's such a cop out.

76Texan likes this.
  5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.

6. midway

midway Veteran

Just because this was the first time we made it to the playoffs with him at QB doesn't mean it qualifies as his "first shot at the SB." All of those years where we didn't make the playoffs count too.

7. scourge

scourge Digression King

I'd still make the trade in a heartbeat. The problem with that trade wasn't Brown vs. Flacco, it was what we did with the extra picks.

Slaton was a one-hit wonder, and Barber was irrelevant. With the 3rd pick we could've take a WR such as Manningham. With the 6th, WR Pierre Garcon was also available.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

Brown is the best LT in the game, and we already had Schaubby. Not to mention Slaton was good for that one year.*

Just for good measure, Duane Brown is the best LT in the game.

*edited for accuracy

9. scourge

scourge Digression King

He was only good his rookie season... total crap after that.

10. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

We already had Schaub, and picked up the best LT in football. How is that not a great trade.

Everyone is swinging from Flacco's jock right now, but it's not like he was man handling the Patriot's with his 240 yards at 6.6 YPA and 58% completion percentage. If the Raven's defense gave up 40, nobody would be talking about Flacco having a great game, because he didn't.

He had a career ending injury in his sophomore preseason. It just took everyone a few months to acknowledge that it was over.

You can't fault a pick because of an unforeseeable freak injury.

I wish Foster would run with half of the effort that Slaton did. At this point, I would be happy if Foster didn't routinely tackle himself.

12. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

This thread is a joke right?

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Well if we're going to crazy world of dreams land, I'd rather us have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson in 2005.

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Actually over the next two weeks somebody was gonna suggest or ask. At least this was not a rant on how stupid the Texans were versus a question.

15. silentassassin

silentassassin Veteran

I'll give you that. But most retrospectives(In regards to the draft) are almost pointless, unless it was a real possibility at the time.

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

fixed it for you :)

17. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

So you're asking if you would take a borderline top 10 qb for a top 3 LT? Give me the LT as they seem to be harder to find and IMO affect more of the game, protecting said qb and opening run lanes. This is an age old debate and one that neither side will ever win. Its pointless really

18. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Well ****, might as well have taken Russell Wilson instead of Devier Posey in 2012. We would probably be going to the Super Bowl with him at the helm instead of Schaub.

19. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?

20. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

while this seems like a no brainer, if they werent completely incompetant at picking someone else at qb, like not weeden, then Thomas would be the better pick.
    IMO