Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2008 free agency - your picks

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
We need to bring Echemandu back.

Then we need to have him talk to his cousin and convince him to come here and join him.

Asomugha is his cousin. (Or something like that.)

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
nnamdi would be 1st on my list along with suggs. draft phillips. u don't want a franchise end that hasn't had more than 8 sacks on a terrible defense. I like kearse after he gets cut for a reduced rate. maybe mccallister from ravens get cut , sign hin and paly him at saefty. what do u guys think about boulware moving back to lb? that was his natural position in college. I aslo like the lb from virgiani tech. the defense still needs to become stout against the run and get pressure. a guy that also should be better this yr, is mike doss formwely of the colts. he can come in and play safety along with demps or phillips. I thought they should have drafted tenard jackson in the 5th last yr.

shawn76ers

Texan Genius
with all the talk around briggs...is he a Strong OLB or Weak OLB......i feel personally that M. Greenwood, hurt us this yr-how many times are we going to allow him get burned by D. Clark

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Even with Dunta in the line-up, we are weak at the CB position.

We need to be looking at Corners in FA, and the draft. I'd take Florence(this is business), Trufant, or Asomugha, and still look to draft a corner in the first.

Then, I'd try to get Javon Walker... yeah, Javon Walker.

Best talent for ur buck. There both some what young still and are good cover corners.

Trufant or Asomugha

I would like us to go after Jared Allen...I know we have put alot in the DLine but im not happy with Anthony Weaver. He has a huge contract $$$ and i would rather pay someone else hat kind of money that actually produces.

It would be nice to se these players in a Texans uni
Terrell Suggs, Karlos Dansby, Paul Spicer

My FA sleepers that i would like to see the texans try out...
OG Elton Brown RFA Arizona Cardinals
DL Mike Rucker UFA Carolina Panthers

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Best talent for ur buck. There both some what young still and are good cover corners.

Trufant or Asomugha

I would like us to go after Jared Allen...I know we have put alot in the DLine but im not happy with Anthony Weaver. He has a huge contract $$$ and i would rather pay someone else hat kind of money that actually produces.

It would be nice to se these players in a Texans uni
Terrell Suggs, Karlos Dansby, Paul Spicer

My FA sleepers that i would like to see the texans try out...
OG Elton Brown RFA Arizona Cardinals
DL Mike Rucker UFA Carolina Panthers

I'd really like Dansby. He can play strong or weakside linebacker and could also play RDE on passing downs. He is a definite playmaker at the linebacker position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I forgot about Dansby, he's a playmaker. That's what Kubes & RS said they were looking for. He will be cheaper than Briggs

badboy

Hall of Fame
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20834.html
Info on Oakland CB that recently opted out. He was making less than $1million, much lower than I would have guessed. A huge bump to $4-5m first year of a new contract maybe be ok with him and reasonable for Texans. That would leave $20m or so(if Mario option exercised as Kubes indicated) and could make Briggs a possibility.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20834.html
Info on Oakland CB that recently opted out. He was making less than $1million, much lower than I would have guessed. A huge bump to $4-5m first year of a new contract maybe be ok with him and reasonable for Texans. That would leave $20m or so(if Mario option exercised as Kubes indicated) and could make Briggs a possibility.
Typically, even on big deals, the cap hit isn't too bad in the 1st couple years. For example Clements' huge contract only had a base salary of $1.1 mil in 2007. The first two years of Dwight Freeney's contract, the base salaries are $750k. Players don't mind the low initial salaries because they just got handed a truckload of cash as signing or roster bonuses.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Typically, even on big deals, the cap hit isn't too bad in the 1st couple years. For example Clements' huge contract only had a base salary of $1.1 mil in 2007. The first two years of Dwight Freeney's contract, the base salaries are $750k. Players don't mind the low initial salaries because they just got handed a truckload of cash as signing or roster bonuses.
I agree and that is why I was a proponent of going after Clements and now Samuel. Sometimes, we just have to bite a bullet and go for the rib eye rather than the chuck. I think Smith and our new salary cap guru will get us as much bang for the buck as they can. I focus on what the players bring now and they also look at the hit in the future years.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I agree and that is why I was a proponent of going after Clements and now Samuel. Sometimes, we just have to bite a bullet and go for the rib eye rather than the chuck. I think Smith and our new salary cap guru will get us as much bang for the buck as they can. I focus on what the players bring now and they also look at the hit in the future years.
I like the approach of going to the 2nd or 3rd rated player where there is some depth in the market. Better to sign Asomogha (sp?) to a 6 year $40 mil deal than Samuels to an 8 year $80 mil deal.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I like the approach of going to the 2nd or 3rd rated player where there is some depth in the market. Better to sign Asomogha (sp?) to a 6 year $40 mil deal than Samuels to an 8 year $80 mil deal.
I guess I could go either way with these two and sincerely hope one is on our team.

Asomugha 26 yoa 5 years NFL 9 INTs last 2 years 0 2007.
Samuel 26 yoa 3 16 6 for 89 yds returned

I imagine both would be good for 4-6 years and $ amounts yearly fairly close during that time. Samuel has two years less on his body in NFL. Samuel come from the Patriots and the other from Oakland and that should be a plus.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I guess I could go either way with these two and sincerely hope one is on our team.

Asomugha 26 yoa 5 years NFL 9 INTs last 2 years 0 2007.
Samuel 26 yoa 3 16 6 for 89 yds returned

I imagine both would be good for 4-6 years and $ amounts yearly fairly close during that time. Samuel has two years less on his body in NFL. Samuel come from the Patriots and the other from Oakland and that should be a plus.
I think if u have a dc that like bump and run press man to man, nmandi is the guy.If the dc likes more zone eyes on the qb, samuels is the guy. No matter whoo u choose, u don't want a guy that can't do what u want to do. If u do, u wind up with a situation like the saints with jason david. I really like nmandi because of playing the colts, u need to be able to lock up. Peyton picks through any zone u run. They need guys that can cover and pressure. The safety and the 3rd corner need to be top flight. That's why I like nmandi 1st and foremost , suggs,tuck, or spicer 2nd then draft a guy like phillips at safety. If u want to be the king, u have to beat the king. Right now and for the next 5 yrs, the colts are the king. Bottomline.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think if u have a dc that like bump and run press man to man, nmandi is the guy.If the dc likes more zone eyes on the qb, samuels is the guy. No matter whoo u choose, u don't want a guy that can't do what u want to do. If u do, u wind up with a situation like the saints with jason david. I really like nmandi because of playing the colts, u need to be able to lock up. Peyton picks through any zone u run. They need guys that can cover and pressure. The safety and the 3rd corner need to be top flight. That's why I like nmandi 1st and foremost , suggs,tuck, or spicer 2nd then draft a guy like phillips at safety. If u want to be the king, u have to beat the king. Right now and for the next 5 yrs, the colts are the king. Bottomline.
I think any good coach or coordinator will adapt to the talent he has. Personally, I like the man on man CB but the most important player is the one that gets the job done.

PHAROAH

Rookie
My Free Agent wish list.

1.Drayton Florence - CB
2. Eugene Wilson - S
3. Boss Bailey - LB
4. Justin Smith - DE

badboy

Hall of Fame
My Free Agent wish list.

1.Drayton Florence - CB
2. Eugene Wilson - S
3. Boss Bailey - LB
4. Justin Smith - DE
FYI, Mark Vander Meer & Andre Ware discussed Boss Bailey on 610 radio this morning. Andre said he liked him but both guys leaned more towards Suggs if price was right.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
FYI, Mark Vander Meer & Andre Ware discussed Boss Bailey on 610 radio this morning. Andre said he liked him but both guys leaned more towards Suggs if price was right.
Suggs is an excellent pass rusher, but at Baltimore he has been an OLB in their 3-4. How does he fit in our D ?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Suggs is an excellent pass rusher, but at Baltimore he has been an OLB in their 3-4. How does he fit in our D ?
I have no opinion on Suggs as I was never a fan. I think it was Ware that said Suggs would be great at OLB or could gain some lbs and be an awesome DE across from Mario. Both guys mentioned not happy with production of QB sacks by Anthony Weaver. Stated he may be better next season if healthy and mentioned his salary being high.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I'd like to sign a CB either Asomugha or Trufant in FA.

Grab Kenny Phillips if he's there in the draft- hope teams like the saints/cardinals/etc go the CB route in the draft.

With Gibbs now Asst HC let him grab us a LT in the 3rd round who will end up being a pro bowler ; )

4th round we grab ourselves a Runningback because like Mike Hart, Matt Forte, or BenJarvus Green-Ellis

That'd give us Asomugha and Bennett as our CB's. Phillips and Demps as our Safeties (CC/Earl backups). Resign Hutchins for back up. Then Dunta comes back and plays CB#2 for us in 2009 after full recovery- that would be a killer secondary.

I'm ok with going into next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, Chris Taylor + added rookie udfa or from the draft. We're not going to carry more than 4 RB's on our team so someones gonna get cut and I highly doubt its Green or Dayne (fa?). I'm fine with this so long as our offensive line improves. I have hopes b/c of Kubiak/Gibbs but a 3rd rd LT like I suggest isn't going to have immediate impact.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
the price will be high, thats for sure he has Freeney type skills.