2007 Weak-Mediocre Draft with only 3 or 4 Blue-Chippers ?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by nunusguy, Feb 17, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Last year represented one of the most talented Drafts in atleast the last 10 years. But this year may be just the opposite ?
    Jamarcu Russell has one of the most powerful arms to come down the pike in
    some time and his upside is steep.
    And AD is an awesome back who may be the most "pure runner" to enter the
    pros in atleast 5 years, though injuries are a concern.
    And probaly the most complete and safest player in the Draft is WR Calvin Johnson, who is very comparable in some ways to the best player on our team, AJ.
    But after that, where's the Blue-chippers ?
    Joe Thomas seems to be getting high ratings in all the mocks, but perhaps thats an indication of the weakness of this years talent and the importance of his position ?
    And would Brady Quinn be drafted higher than #4 among QBs last year ?
    The strength of this Draft appears to be in the DLine, but with no true steller
    performers among that group IMO ?

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

no, joe thomas is the best tackle to come out in many years.

there's some can't-miss once-in-a-lifetime players in this draft. calvin johnson, adrian peterson, joe thomas, amobi okoye, brady quinn...

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I like how you try to slip in "your players" okoye/quinn :shades:

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

my players? okay.

okoye is the most physically talented DT to enter the draft since warren sapp. brady quinn is clearly a 5-star prototypical QB. if i wanted to be a fanboy i'd say adam carriker or paul soliai or something.

5. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Well very few are considering Quinn a "can't miss" prospect.

I can't really argue either way for Okoye. All I can say is that he is the best DT prospect in the draft.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Really ? I like Okoye, but isn't Alan Branch rated higher than Okoye in most mocks ?

7. beerlover

I know your just praying Brady "Kastofsna Man Crush" Quinn falls to the fish @ #9 :winky:

personel wise I don't see him really any higher rated than a certain David Carr was in 02. how'd that work out :aikido:

regarding okoye thats all based on potential. Alan Branch should be rated higher based on his production & considered more of a "cant miss prospect" the jury is still out on Amobi (playing weight/position etc...) :bubble:

Name: Amobi Okoye
    College: Louisville Number: 91
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 287
    Position: DT Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
    40 Time: 5.03 40 Low: 4.95 40 High: 5.10
    Projected Round: 1 Stock:
    Rated number 2 out of 145 DT's 12 / 2339 TOTAL

8. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I would say Branch is #1 for a 3-4 and Okoye is #1 for a 4-3.

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

branch isn't even as good at NT as ngata last year, hardly a can't-miss guy. but as a 3-tech, okoye is the best since sapp.

10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Beerlover, let kastofsna have Quinn. We'll take Okoye. :ok:

I know, a lot of people on this MB think we should get Branch, but I just don't think he fits what the Texans are looking for. Branch is a big "space eating" NT suited to the 3-4. Okoye, on the other hand, is a "pass rushing" DT suited to the 4-3. I think there is much more "upside" to Okoye than Branch. If the Texans take Branch in the 1st, I'll be surprised. But, if it comes down to Branch or Quinn, I'd rather they took Branch. JMHO!

11. beerlover

I'm not letting Katsofsna have anything without a price :money:

we also control the pick before those Sabin-less fins :bowser:

12. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I pretty much agree with you overall assement of this draft class. I think there will be a lot of tallent in rounds two through three. After that it's pretty much which way you like your warts. If the Texans hit on three out of seven this draft, I will be pleased.

13. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

Okoye will be a beast in the NFL, it will take the 19 yr old some time to develop though. He has the same intangibles of a Tommie Harris, if the league is lucky he will play like him. Would be nice to see him play next to Mario.

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Can't say I agree with you on this Beerlover.

Carr received barely a fraction of the acclaim and attention that Quinn has received.

Quinn has been hyped as the next great QB for years now while Carr had one big season.

Perhaps Quinn has lauded so long that people are just jaded towards him already.

I think Quinn has a long fruitful career ahead of him, probably not one of the all time greats, but a winner and a long term starter.

I think his top two inches make him a great prospect not neccesarily the measureables.

15. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

This is a much weaker draft class than last years, but then again last years draft was very deep. There is some depth in this draft class though, as others have mentioned there are some very good DL prospects, also there is quite a few quality TEs in this draft as well (Olsen, Miller, Newton, Chandler, Patrick, Spaeth, Herian).

These TEs aren't freaks of nature like Vernon Davis was last year, but they are reliable targets for the QB to find in the passing game. There is also some good depth at LB with guys like Willis, Blades, Siler, Davis, Timmons, Posluszny, Beason, Alexander, Latimer, etc. There aren't nearly as many "can't miss" guys this year as there was last year, but overall it's a middle of the pack draft.

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yeah and the o-line guys aren't bad I like Aaron Sears and Ugoh. I mean they're crdible canidates to come in and make a contribution on someones o-line. They just can't play on the outside left edge at a high level. They're great prospects though. I mean if we didn't have Pitts and Blailock fell to us in round two I think he'd make a heck of a left gaurd or right tackle...we just don't need one.

17. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Do I need to start a new list of crazy things you've said this year? Quinn won't even be the first qb taken, and he is once in a lifetime?

I swear, if i could put you and hulk75 in a cage match to the death.......

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Well since they're both in a cage ... never mind .

19. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Still isn't as bad as 2002. It was very unlucky that the Texans had to start out w/ that draft.

20. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

Branch does take play off now and then. That's the only negativity I have heard about him.