2007 Opponents

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sarg01, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Since Buffalo has the tiebreaker and a 1-game lead over Miami, here's our opponents for 2007. I think the football gods really have it in for us sometimes.

AFC South:
    Indy x2
    Jax x2
    East Austin x2

AFC West:
    San Diego
    Denver
    Kansas City
    Oakland

NFC South:
    New Orleans
    Carolina
    Atlanta
    Tampa Bay

AFC 4ths:
    Cleveland
    Miami

2. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

did i get all the road/home games correct?

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Well look at it like this then

Indy (x2) we get every year so no big deal. We get to play the #32 run defense twice per year. I believe we can split this.

Jacksonville (x2) we also get every year and it's almost like getting spotted 2 wins per season

Tennessee (x2) is going to happen every year so there's no sense in getting upset about it. We'll just have to beat them and get a split. Winning sometimes would go a long way towards making this series bearable. It did wonders for us in 2004.

a .500 record against our division opponents is not out of the question. 3-3 is very possible and at the rate Jacksonville is "improving" we could actually go 4-2 against the AFC South. I think we will go 4-2.

San Diego is going to be tough of course but then Denver is only 9-6 right now. Kansas City is 8-7. Those two teams are not invincible by any stretch of the imagination. Oakland sucks worse than we do. We could go 2-2 over these four teams add that to our record against our own division and we're suddenly 6-4

New Orleans probably beats us but they were garbage last year and they're brilliant this year. They could go right back to being garbage next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Still if we lose to New Orleans and split Carolina and Atlanta (both at best .500 teams) then beat Tampa Bay we go 2-2 against this bunch. That brings us up to 8-6

That leaves Cleveland and Miami. Cleveland is currently 4-11 and Miami is 6-9. Who exactly is terrified of those two teams? We take both of those and we're 10-6 for the year. If we split them then we're 9-7.

I have no problem with the teams we're playing next year. Everyone has some tough battles and everyone has a few "gimmies". A few of those will reverse next season. If we truly improve and beat the bad teams we're halfway to where we need to be. If we win some games against some good teams we top .500

ryansisgod likes this.
  4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Truth is we won't know if this is an easy or tough schedule until well into the 2007 season. The teams making the playoffs are losing very few games to bad teams and stealing a couple from teams that are better than they are. Flawed NFL teams make the playoffs every year. The texans don't have to resolve all of thier issues to make the playoffs, but do a few things well and don't mess up chances to win close games. 8 wins gets in playoff conversasion and 9 wins gets you in quite often.

BTW, here is a note from the 2006 draft

Top 5 in the draft were

Texans- 3 or 4 win improvement
    Saints-division winner
    Titans- guaranteed to be .500, playoff still a chance
    Jets- mostly likely playoffs
    Packers- still with a chance to make the playoffs

The texans are not going to be perfect next year, but even with modest improvement can position themselves for playoff contention.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

After [finally] beating the Colts, I'm back to thinking we can be an 'any given Sunday' team (like 2004).

That being said, the record - based upon today's projections - could vary from 6-10 to 9-7. A lot of importance will be placed on the first four games, as we need to at least split. I don't think this young team will have the confidence to pull itself out of an 0-4 hole at this point.

6. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

I see it a little differently

1. I think our conference record will be 2-4. Wins at home against Indy and Jax. Get swept by Vince

2. Agree that 2-2 vs. AFC West is a possibility

3. I think we'll go 3-1 against the NFC South. I think we can beat TB, Atlanta and Carolina. I don't think the Saints are headed down in the next few years, as long as Brees stays healthy

4. We beat both Cleveland and Miami

So that leaves us at 9-7, at best. More likely 8-8. And 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibility, by any means.

7. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

13-3 all the way baby...:rolleyes:

seriously the afc north is as bad if not worse than the west so either would've been bad....i think we can go 3-3/4-2 in our division

afc west- lose to SD and denver...beat KC and oakland- in fact i think the raiders will be the tougher of the 2 next yr cos they'll have some offence

nfc south- hard to tell..we could go 3-1 or 1-3 as they're all inconsistant and have problems

same with the browns and miami- we could win or lose both... il say 8-8 pre-

8. VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent Rookie

9-7 PLEASE - with Carr, Kubiak, and McLoser running this thing. Thye'll be lucky to surpass this year's total...

9. VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent

VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent Rookie

"any given Sunday' team" now there is a goal to be proud of...

10. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Do you think we'll be swept by Vince, or do you want to be swept by Vince?

I'm not saying its impossible to happen again, but the Titans didn't exactly blow us out of the water this season.

11. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I'll know more when you can tell me the status of the 16 players on IR.

1. Does Dominick return?
    2. Will Spencer be fully recovered?
    3. Will the IR DTs be healthy?

Then, can we get a couple of upgrade starters in FA?

Will we be able to get a couple of rookies in the draft who can contribute in 07?

If all goes well 9 or 10 wins, maybe, if not, 7-8 wins.

12. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If we hit the jackpot in the draft like we did last year we could be looking at a great year next season...

Anyone know when the actual schedule comes out? I might be able to try and get to the Indianapolis away game and maybe a couple others depending on the dates. If anyone has an idea it would help me a lot...:)

13. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I can just imagine how the media is going to hype the Texans vs Saints matchup. "The reggie vs mario and how reggie was disrespected by the Texans". That's gonna be a long week before the game. I believe the game is in Houston....

14. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

At least 3 home games in September when it is blazing hot at the tailgate. At least 3 home games in December when it is freezing cold. 1 home game each in October and November. Front loaded with 6 very tough games to start. No prime time games.

At least that's the way the NFL usually treats us.

15. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I dread the Saints game...Im tired of hearing who we should have taken in the draft

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Guess we'll just have to show them we made the right pick...

17. whotex8

whotex8 Rookie

I think the schedule came out in Feb. this past year. They start pushing for Renewals (season tickets) just after the schedule is announced.

18. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

With Carr: 5-11

Without Carr: 10-6

19. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

heh, I agree....rather Mario is going to have to show them...Then again, the ESPN idiots made a comment (one of them I was not paying attention) that "Mario WIlliams can average 14 sacks a year and still wont be worth the #1 pick" or something like that?

Amazing

20. Big J

Big J Rookie

You cant forecast our 2007 season. Its way to hard to predict. So many factors or inputs still need to be put in place. Someone already mentioned the key points.

But I will add...Did anyone seriously expect New Orleans to be second in the NFC? Or the Titans be .500? No.

So who knows who the suprise or let down team will be next year.