2005 Pre-Season Record

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Capster67, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Capster67

Capster67 Veteran

I've been frustrated that the Texans have slept throught their first three preseasons - lucky to one game per year. I think this has set a dangerous pattern. This year, I think it'll be especially important to get some wins under our belts with the youth movement in order to establish some much needed confidence. I'm thinking if we don't go 2-2 this year, we'll be in for another sub-.500 season. Any thoughts...

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Preseason "patterns" by their very nature cannot be "dangerous". You can win every game (as Jerry Glanville frequently put emphasis on doing) and still stink in the regular season or you can lose every game and still be a playoff team. What matters is that you get the work done that you need to get done.

I once saw a statistic that clearly demonstrated that playoff teams generally had a better preseason record than non-playoff teams. What that meant was that the playoff teams are generally deeper than the also-ran's, not that those winning teams put an excessive amount of emphasis on winning in the preseason. They were simply better teams.

If the Texans were to go out and play each preseason game like it meant something, with their starters getting more time than necessary, that would not create some sort of "winning habit" that would carry over into the regular season. Winning habits don't get developed over four or five games against teams that are looking at backup and role players.

The Texans record in the preseason means nothing this year as far as their regular season record is concerned.

3. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

I don't think the preseason means anything. Make sure no one gets hurt, and get the rookies some practice. The Patriots were 1-3 last year in the preseason. Think about that.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Practice! I mean we are talking about PRACTICE!......practice man, come on....PRACTICE?

[​IMG]

5. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Now I've seen it all. Who cares about winning preseason games?

6. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

classic vinny, classic....

7. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Preseason is valuable time for rookies and bench players. I honestly don't see how teams can charge the full price for these games, but they do. I am personally hoping to see what Mathis can do in the preseason.

8. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

Only gambling addicts really care about preseason scores.

9. JacksonvilleJaguar4

JacksonvilleJaguar4 Rookie

we've been decent these past two seasons (and you know what our preseason record has been the past two years? 6-2) preseason dosent mean a thing

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Preseason wins are a sign of good depth in my opinion. The games you need to worry about are blowouts.

You lose 21-7. So what.

You lose 41-7, you need to be afraid.

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Agreed DC, it's really a game against our backups vs. your backups.
    When the starters actually play a whole half, it's like a two mini-games.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Pats lost to the Bengals 3-31 & the Jags 0-31 last preseason. They didn't worry about it.

13. CAbills

CAbills Rookie

Preseason win mean absolutely nothing. Marv Levy used to put zero effort in winning a single preseason game, they went 0-4 plenty of times, and somehow managed to make the superbowl 4 straight years.

I wouldnt put any bearing on preason wins and losses.

14. Dungy/Bucs/Colts

Dungy/Bucs/Colts Rookie

I agree, Pre-season means NADA! It is a time to get your new players and bench players some practice after the starters have made their little appearance in the 1st quarter.

The other thing the Pre-season games are good for is that us football fanatics can actually see a new game instead of what is played on the NFL Network all offseason.

15. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

So maybe if Marv would have won more of those preseason games the Bills would have won a SuperBowl. :rolleyes:

16. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

Preseason means nothing for the Houston Texans TEAM. But Preseason definately has value to predict performance at the unit against unit level.

What is our defensive line going to do against Denver's run game for a couple of Denver possessions?

What does or defensive backs do against Oakland passing game in a given series when the first string is in there?

Does our starting o-line get a bunch of illegal procedure calls or gives up a bunch of sacks???

The score is irrelevant... but the devil is in the details, right?