Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2005 Draft-Revisited

TEXANS84

Staff member
Alot of people were mad that the Houston Texans bypassed Derick Johnson (Texas/Chiefs) for DT Travis Johnson, but in retrospect, here's why we should be mad.

The Texans were set to draft 13th, but Casserly traded with New Orleans for a future 3rd round pick and bumped us back to #16.

New Orleans selected offensive tackle Jammal Brown out of Oklahoma with the 13th pick.

The Texans selected defensive tackle Travis Johnson with the 16th pick.

Take a guess which one is going to the pro-bowl this season.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/nfc_roster

Oh yeah, I pointed that out when I saw his name listed as a pro bowler.....I still don't think most people have snapped. We did end up with Winston out of the deal but he is still a project while Brown is on the Pro Bowl squad.

I'll never forget that day - in part because of DJ, TJ, the trade with NO, etc. - but mainly because I was sitting next to Barry Warner while watching the first round in the media room. Everyone should have the pleasure...

Lots of head shaking from everyone in the room that day. I recall liking the Morency and Mathis picks at the time. Of course there was no second rounder due to our brain dead GM at the time. TJ was a classic Casserly D-lineman. Big, slow, thick legged, michelin men...

Some of the moves the old administration pulled weren't so bad...it's just the players they selected after making those moves.

For example: They drafted Drew Henson...that turned out in our favor..can't say we capitalized on it though.

The trade with the Saints...could of gone well...but again...can't say we capitalized on that one either unless TJ really turns it on this next year.

The trade up to the first for Babin...wait...that one was just not very smart.

Same with the Buchanon trade. That one was just stupid.

Just looking forward, dont want to look at the past admin!

remember Casserly said it would take 3 years to develop an Offensive Lineman into a good Pro football player.

remember Casserly said it would take 3 years to develop an Offensive Lineman into a good Pro football player.

That's how it was back in the day before the cap where teams could keep lines and teams together for several years, and when teams could take more time to develop players. Unfortunately for us, Casserly never escaped the 1981 mentality. I bet he still has leisure suits in his closet.

That's how it was back in the day before the cap where teams could keep lines and teams together for several years, and when teams could take more time to develop players. Unfortunately for us, Casserly never escaped the 1981 mentality. I bet he still has leisure suits in his closet.

That just made my sides split!!! Casserly was the definition of a TOOL!! Karma worked in our favor in this past draft though. Six starters in one draft after four drafts producing all of .....6 starters? I think that's right, feel free to correct me if not.

I'm going to the game tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooooo hooooooooo!!!!!!!!
(sorry I could'nt hold it in any longer)

Go :logo:

The Babin deal was the worst move we've made, he's nothing more than depth and a backup and we gave up muliple picks for him.

The Babin deal and the #2's we gave up for Hollings and PSuck are the reason why this team has never gotten off the ground.

How the hell is Charlie still able to draw a check from football. I could do a better job drafting, but thats really not saying muck

The Babin deal was the worst move we've made, he's nothing more than depth and a backup and we gave up muliple picks for him.

The Babin deal and the #2's we gave up for Hollings and PSuck are the reason why this team has never gotten off the ground.

How the hell is Charlie still able to draw a check from football. I could do a better job drafting, but thats really not saying muck

Babin deal isn't nearly as bad as the PBuc deal. In the Babin deal, we gave 3rd, 4th, and swapped 5ths. The players they ended up getting weren't much. Babin his rookie didn't really do THAT bad either for a OLB in a 3-4 scheme. His stats measured quite comparable to other OLB's in a 3-4 scheme.

The Buchanon trade on the other hand, was outright robbery. The Hollings pick and the Buchanon trade are all so awful I would have them 1a and 1b worst moves of all time.

Babin deal isn't nearly as bad as the PBuc deal. In the Babin deal, we gave 3rd, 4th, and swapped 5ths. The players they ended up getting weren't much. .

I guess that's the case if you consider Ben Troupe, Randy Starks, Bo Shoebel, and Jacob Bell 'not much.'

The Texans also swapped their 2nd for TN's 1st in the deal. That was Troupe. Starks by himself makes the Babin deal lopsided.

man, could have gotten bernard berrian in that 3rd round......

It's kinda sad that Babin is probably the Texans' best pass rusher (even with his 1 spin move).

You have to admit that Babin has had to fight both Weaver, Kalu and Peek for those prime 3rd down rushes on the QB. If Babin had gotten as many snaps as Mario this year, I think Babin would have more like 8 sacks min and many more tackles and would have the Texans single sack record, which however, isn't saying that much.

Yeah, I mentioned the trade (though not Brown's Pro Bowl status) in another thread. as many times as this team has neglected to address the tackle position with a high draft pick, it's typical that they had one sitting in their laps and passed him off to New Orleans.

It is possible that Jamaal Brown has exceeded many expectations as a #13 pick. I certainly wasn't hearing that Brown was a can't miss, makes Pro Bowl by his second year draft pick back prior to the '05 draft. He is to be commended for his early progress in the league. It's hard for a prospect to stand out on the OL in his second year.

i dont even remember brown being a target for the texans that year. The O-line was fine :sarcasm: the only thing i remeber about that draft was that alot of f00ls were hoping for troy williamson < i think thats how you spell it to slide to us.

Back