2003 LSU and USC Split National Championship

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by awtysst, Dec 7, 2008.

1. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

What were the circumstances surrounding this Split National Championship. I know that LSU beat Oklahoma in the title game and USC beat Michigan in the Rose bowl. What exactly were the circumstances for the split National Championship?

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season

awtysst likes this.
  3. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Thanks buddy!
    I was wondering if there was a possibility of a Big Texas win leading to a split National Championship.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't think so. If Texas demolishes Ohio State and Oklahoma barely squeaks by Florida, maybe there could be a tiny case to be made. But even then, I doubt AP voters jump Texas over OU if both teams win.

The same scenario applies if Florida wins as well. Texas is behind both teams in the AP poll so there's very little chance of a split national championship.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

There is no split national champion. The winner of the BCS title game is the champ. Who the Coaches and AP vote as the national champion does not make them the National Champions.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

That's not true. There is such thing as a split national champion. The BCS does not crown the National Champion and whoever wins that game is not called the national champ. They're the BCS champion and are usually assumed be the national champ.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've said this myself ever since USC was named "co-champion" when LSU won the national title.

I'm gonna have to suck it up and say that the winner of the OU-Florida game is the champ.

I would love it if the AP voted us #1, but I wouldn't consider us the champs.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Technically that's not true... but I view it the same way as you. BCS championship game is the super bowl of college football.

9. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

If the NCAA doesn't recognize the BCS winner as the definitive national champion why should we? It is still a mythical award determined by polls.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Whats the point of having a national championship game if that doesnt decide it? There is a reason teams want to be #1 or #2 and play in that game.

Think what you wanna think, im sure you can get some USC fans to agree. But whomever wins the Florida OU game is the national champion. Not Texas, not Utah, Alabama, or USC.

11. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

That's the point. There is no national championship game; just a bowl game with teams selected by committee.

Thinking that doesn't make it true. You know why the NCAA continues to crap on us? Because people buy the horsecrap the bowls are selling as some kind of reality while they rake in the cash.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

obviously there is more than one way to determine who's the champion, much like there's more than one award given to best player in the country, first team all-americans, etc. i don't have a real problem with it considering there's no playoff