2 minute drill, no huddle, shotgun

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Osso, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Osso

Osso Veteran

Why don't we run a 2 minute drill?

Why don't we run a no huddle if we have scripted plays, and time is of the essence?

Why don't we use the shotgun if we plan to run 10 or more plays with no one in the backfield?

I coached 12 year old boys who could do these things with only 2 hours of practice, 4 days a week.

:brickwall

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, apparently we run the scripted plays at the beginning of the game. We can't run them over again and be so predictable and there's no point, I don't think, in running a no-huddle at the start of the game.

If you mean more scripted plays just for the 2 minute drill situation, then I think that's a good idea, but they've gotta plan for it ahead of time, obviously.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Either Kubiak or Carr doesn't posses the confidence needed to go for big plays consistently. And the dink and dunk doesn't work going 80 yards in 2 minutes. Plus, we are turnover prone when trying to score.

Probably a confidence thing again.

My guess is Kubiak wants Carr to get the ball out after 3-5 step drops. Dropping into a shotgun would give Carr the chance to hold the ball too long.

The 12 year olds could do it against other 12 year old with nothing on the line. Our team is less talented than almost every other NFL team, so we have to make 0 mistakes out there.
    :brickwall[/QUOTE]

4. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

because kubiak is afraid we will blow it and he will have to start over again. I say who cares. let the team play to win, call the plays that win games, run the 2 min drill, throw the ball longer than 9 yards. so what if Carr throws an interception. everyone throws interceptions. you gotta put it on the line and show the other team you are serious about winning the game. that's all I think we are missing. oh and a few years worth of drafts.

5. phan1

phan1 All Pro

Kubiak has said he believes Carr operates best under center rather than shotgun in an interview.

I do remember the Vickings game where Carr totally LIT IT UP at shotgun on a failed comeback attempt. We lost, but I still remember that as being Carr's best game ever. But he never operated under the shotgun for the rest of that season... Kind of makes you wonder "what if"...

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This team isn't cohesive enough to consistently run a 2-minute drill, and they are too fragile to rebound from a mistake made during that period.

One day Kubiak will have enough confidence in this team to take the training wheels off, but only time will tell when that will happen.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I just wonder if he pats them on the head on the sideline and says, "I know you can't do it, but it's hard. Don't feel bad". :)

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I heard Kubiak say this on 610 Sports Radio. He feels like David is better suited for being under center for a couple of reasons. 1) he doesn't have to take his eyes off what the defense is doing and 2) its a timing thing with the 3 to 5 step drop-back....

But I remember the Minnesota game too. That was probably his best game as a pro - so I wonder too. Maybe we can slip Kubes a tape of that game....:lightbulb: