1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by fastdash1, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

In the limited tape I've watched of the tackle prospects(2-3 games a piece) I think I like Cajuste best(excluding Jonah Williams since he won't be in range) His injury history is my only worry and that might sway me to go elsewhere

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  2. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Cajuste looks to me like a threat to get beat a lot by speed to power. His footwork and balance are concerns, imo.

Not that I think he's terrible or anything either, just relative to a few guys who could be there ... Little, Ford, and Risner in particular.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is where I'm at i really like Little alot though, but he probably won't make it to 23. I like Cajuste a little more than Dillard. But with Cajuste injury history gitme Dillard. They are very close in talent level.

4. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

If there's a run on OL, that means some pretty good defensive players could fall into the Texans laps.....including WR and RB.

leebigeztx likes this.
  5. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Like I said I haven't watched nearly enough tape on any of them, so my opinion isn't fully formulated. I like Little and Ford as well, Risner isn't bad but I like a lot wonder if he might be better suited inside, seeing him get worked in the pass rush 1 on 1s didn't help my opinion of him. He just seems like the jack of all trades master of none. Which for a backup lineman is a great ability to have, but I am a little tired of that with my starting lineman after years of hearing how great this player is because he is so "versatile" only to watch him struggle in the spot we put him.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Can Dillard play LT?

7. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

that's where he played in college

JB likes this.
  8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I didn't get a chance to watch him in college... highlights of Senior bowl practice he was at RT

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

sorry, that was Risner. Haven't seen film on Dillard

steelbtexan likes this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Very well,

Great in pass pro and needs to work on improving his strength to become a better run blocker. He's not a bad run blocker but is more of a wall off blocker right now. Cajuste is good in pass pro and is a nastier run blocker but comes with an injury history. Since Cajuste skipped the Sr. Bowl I expect him to be there at 23. After the Sr. Bowl performance Dillard may or may not be there. If I had to guess probably not.

JB likes this.

11. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I'm surprised with Leach as Dillard's coach you found any tape of his run blocking lol

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

When does FA start?

I would go bpa and choose either an offensive lineman or a CB - if a special player drops, I‘d be ok with a WR, TE or LB here as well, maybe a HB. I hope we can keep KJ and the honey badger and maybe sign a CB in FA. OL-market seems dry, so we need to spend a high draft pick here. Trading up would be ok for me.

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Take this with a grain of salt, from the limited film I've seen on Dillard, he's very impressive at LT. Great in pass protection, quick feet, moves well and very athletic. He might need a little work in run blocking but I'm not worried about that as long as he can protect DW blindside. I'd have no problems if the Texans took him at #23.

14. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Wade Smith says Dillard is the only plug & play LT in the draft. All other OTs would need further development before being thrown at the left side.

15. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

This is my take as well. Dillard needs to get a little stronger, but that’s much easier to develop then good footwork

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Delete

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Insert

thunderkyss, JB and Wolf6151 like this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

#Davenport

otisbean likes this.
  19. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

The first few mocks I have seen have mostly D players selected before our pick.

There should be a QB there (23) that someone covets. I'd be in to trade down and pick up extra picks if things fall that way. Perhaps a swap of firsts with someone and pick up one or two later in the draft.

Not a lot of separation on the top two or three O lineman. One would still be available to us.

:coffee:

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Something we can agree on I think is we should be able to really improve OL and corners this draft. I hope I am wrong on Dillard and Little although most of what I see indicates Little gone before we pick. I wish we could trade #23 to Raiders for #27 and pick up another two. Cannot find scenario for Raiders to do that.

steelbtexan likes this.