1st Round Draft Needs

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Mr. White, Nov 28, 2007.

?

How should the Texans draft in the first round?

Poll closed Dec 8, 2007.
  1. Running Back

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Secondary

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. Offensive Line

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  4. Defensive Line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Linebacker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Fullback

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Tight End

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Wide Receiver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Quarterback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I know it's a little early to start this party, but I don't think it's a bad idea to get a preliminary assessment of what you guys think we should do in the first round.

You guys know that Texans fans are used to talking about the draft in December anyway.

I know Rick Smith talks about taking BPA in the first round, but you gotta admit that we have needs.

What do you guys think?

2. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'll start. We need to get the run game going to eat up clock.

I think we need an outside runner and let "Ronnie" get the carries between the tackles since he's gonna get 'em anyway.

I'm sure a DeAngelo Williams type RB will be available in the middle of the first round when we're up.

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I chose OL over RB mainly because we need to remember that most RBs do not last more than 3 or 4 years. It all depends on the player though, and I'm just barely off of my "I want DBs!!!!!:bat:" phase. I could revert.

4. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

it depends who is available, but i want an offensive tackle unless a stud corner back is available. running back can be addressed through free agency or in the third round.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Many teams have shown that a great offensive line can make any average joe with a little speed and vision look great. I say OL. Look what Hutch did for the Vikings, and how much he's crippled Shaun Alexander

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I voted Offensive Line as well. I think it's about time to get a 1st round talent Left Tackle to (a) Give Schaub that 1 extra second to throw (b) not allow Schaub to get leveled when he throws the ball and (c) create some holes for our RB's.

There are arguements for most positions, and there are those that say...oh we won't draft 'position x' in the first round. I think anything is up for grabs pretty much.

I can't wait until our DL develops and becomes absolutely dominant. I'd like for us to build our Offensive Line up to be just as dominating. That's the key to consistently winning (through the trenches). Ain't sexy but the Lombardi Trophy sure is and if you want more than one...you better have a stellar OL & DL.

7. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Best available at our draft spot of:

OL
    RB
    Secondary

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

9. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I think it all depends where you are picking and what's available. You just don't draft an OL just becasue you need an OL when there is a better quality pick at RB or secondary and vice-versa. We don't know where we will be picking. Anywhere from 5th to 15th, I think.

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I second this.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Left tackle. Its time to get our anchor. Though, I do like the idea of maybe trading down and getting a 2nd round pick. The only other thing I would even consider is if McFadden starts to slip a little bit, I would seriously consider trying to move up and snake him. He would be the perfect face to our franchise. Hes like Reggie, but has a body to play Rb and a lot better skill set.

12. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Voted for the secondary. This draft is going to be deep in RB and OL if a few juniors declare.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

big surprise :sarcasm:

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

are we good enough to just take bpa :)

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

This is where I'm at also. Love to have Loadholt or Clady. Loadholt...I don't know where they'd move Winston...but I also know we wouldn't have to worry about forth and one anymore. And I'm not posting that the stuff in Cleveland was Erick's fault. Something this off season has to improve along the oline. Okoye on the board, Levi Brown off, I get it. No excuse not to upgrde the tallent this year. Got the cap room. Need to get younger quicker, and stronger in the o-line.

TBS...get into the third round you're gambling on transiton level of the CBs. Scouts better do heck of job agian if your waiting on the cover corner to be on line by October. September in '08 could get very messy if the new corner is suspect and Robinson is PUPed. We already know what we got as back ups. The corners and DBs who have the chance to paly corner, are going to fly off the board so fast in the second and top of the third our heads will spin. Might find another Bennit. Cleveland certianly found one in the fifth with McDonald.

If they draft Strewart...I'll be on board. I think you have a better shot at getting Stewart in the third than you do a lock down corner in the third. and I also believe you get the same package with the South Carolina guy as you do with Stewart. You'll need to get some meds for the south carolina guy no doubt, but he'll work. He's very imature but he'll work.

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I guess it's more unwritten, but assume the question is..."What position do you want to be BPA when we're up to select?"

Ole Miss is set up to really make a run at things next season, they will surprise a lot of people. They are returning a vast majority of their starters including (most likely) both Tackles and Guards on the OL. Snead is set to take over at QB, the top 5 wr's are going to be sophomores and juniors, all linebackers, etc. Add in Houston Nutt as the new Head Coach...

Things are really pointing to Mike Oher staying in school. (I hope so!) He could use some more development and would really help the team succeed. I think he'll be a top 10 lock in the 2009 draft if he stays.... but if he so decides to declare I would be very supportive of him being our 1st round selection. At this point I think their are other LT's that are more polished but he's got an incredible amount of potential.

Great story for those that havn't read it...

18. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Sorry I don't have a hard on for Jonathan Stewart

19. threetoedpete

I didn't vote because you posted Corner...and not cover corner. and there is a BIG difference. The difference is how much your team can chance bringing five and six instead of four. Guess what we got right now ?

20. threetoedpete

Congrates on the Houston Nutt hire. I think he'll be well motivted to prove himself. Hope those that love Micheal Oher will express that love with a policy on the kid for injuries in '08. I always think that it is best to finish out your degree. Just hope he gets coverge for a worst case scenario. I agree. I've only seen him twice. He is not ready yet and would probbly sit in '08.

TBS, he's on the board I would hope the Texans would pull the trigger on the guy.