1st preseason evaluation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Aug 11, 2012.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Give me your thoughts. It is hard to take it all in as many new numbers out there.

RBs all looked good except Foster's fumble. Channel 13s Spenser Tillman said he had a couple in practice. Tate awesome! Forsett looked darn good and seemed to be getting about 5 yards every carry.

Offensive blocking seemed pretty poor to me. Schaub knocking rust off.

Martin awesome as was Holliday. My concern with Trindon is I remember Kubes getting on Jacoby and he'd do good for one game then revert. We'll see. Other WRs did not stand out to me.

Graham at TE looked good but he did drop one ball when he saw LB coming.

Our kick offs sucked but coverage made up for it, mostly. Poor blocking on our returns as always but don't remember blocking in back penalties on us and that is an improvement.

LBs looked sharp but several plays our D had someone out of place it seemed.

Alan Ball looked like he interfered every play. He has got to do better or should get cut immediately to allow more snaps to others. Wade looks bad on this choice.

I was impressed by Keo who baled out McMannis on one play.

Finally, Brandon Harris and yes, I'll say it Kareem Jackson looked pretty good. I have Jackson and Joseph starting with Harris getting more plays behind all of them. Did anyone see Carmichael? I just remembered him.

2. Austrian

Austrian Hall of Fame

One special teams tackle. That's it. Didn't see him make any tackle other than that.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think you're mistaking him for Maehl. I don't remember Graham dropping anything. He got a helmet in the gut catching it between three defenders, but did not drop one. Maehl short-armed one when he saw a LB coming.

Yates looks like he's maturing as a QB. It's still way early, obviously, so we'll see, but I have hope for the guy. Lestar Jean made a couple nice plays. Tonight is the first I've seen of Grimes and I liked what I saw. But then I liked all the RBs, so that's a tough competition.

The pass rush is going to be fierce. I am looking forward to that maybe more than any other piece of the game. I told my wife tonight I think I enjoy watching the Texans sack the QB more than any given TD.

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Also, I don't take anything out of the score, but I sure as hell did not enjoy seeing the team land on 16 points again. It's been far too common a theme the past few years that they go 1 of 4 and land on 16 points.

5. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Ball was having problems with holding.
    Officials need to reevaluate the taking a timeout for review every turnover....that is taking way too long.
    Holiday may be small....but he has speed....speed kills and Special Teams Coach Marciano was raving about him 2 years ago.....coach was right....
    Goal line offense needs to be be worked on....have got to get 7 instead of 3. Red Zone offense.....got to have that working better.....:logo:
    Bullock has a leg.....52 yard field goal was strong.
    Jean looked good so did Martin.
    Foster needs to do have to walk around with a football all week everywhere he goes......and have teammate try and pull it from him.....
    Tate, Forsett, Megget and Grimes.....all looked good.....real deep at rb.......

Deepest team in terms of talent......

:texan:

6. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

A few observations from tonight's game:

1. Jean & Martin looked good. Nice catches from both of them.

2. Posey really didn't. Did he record one catch tonight? Possible rust from not playing last year, but Jean/Martin are definitely ahead of him.

3. Grimes looked legit. I wouldn't risk him on the practice-squad.

4. Alan Ball played terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut tomorrow.

5. All four QB's looked good. I expected Schaub/Yates to, but Keenum/Beck did alright too.

6. Whitney Mercilus played good. He recorded a sack and he was in on a few other pressures also. Really impressed me.

7. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

He's a rookie...

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

bolded.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Kubes needs to put Tate at #1 next game and watch Arian go to probowl. The two are healthy competitors and crank each other up. I'm not worried about Foster..yet. Yep Red Zone O sucked again.

10. BigB0iFresh

BigB0iFresh Veteran

Missed the game because of work. Anybody know where i can catch as replay?

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Grimes >>> Forsett

He's stronger, more physical, plays with better leverage, and runs behind his pads. I'd keep him over Forsett. I thought meggett played better as well

12. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Looks like NFL Network, Tuesday at noon.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Double post

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

It airs again tonight at 12:30 am on channel 13.. reairs on NFLn on tue. at noon.

15. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

NFL Network is replaying it on Tue at noon. I set my DVR to record since we got stuck with the crappy local feed tonight.

edit to add: sorry for the echo in here LOL

16. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Great game overall...... no major injuries.

I like what I saw from our tight ends. Casey, Graham and OD all looked good. Anyone criticizing Posey needs to criticize Keenum and Kubiak first. Keenum missed him on a curl and Kubiak focused on the run game in the 2nd half. Butler's technique was terrible on a few plays. I really do think Newton is going to win the starting job.

Defense was solid. Mercilus is gonna be a beast. Kareem looked good. No first downs allowed in the 2nd half shows we have some serious depth.

17. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I think they had the local feed on NFLN, but it might have been the Carolina one.

18. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

Alan Ball

[​IMG]

19. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Fair enough. I was looking for him to make some catches and he didn't, while Jean/Martin looked good tonight.

20. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

Schaub's final play very disappointing - pressure and he made a poorly advised
    pass which resulted in an interception.
    And I saw one play where Butler got beat bad by a Panther reserve Lineman -
    maybe Newt does start at RT against Miami ?