Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1975-1980 and now 2006-2010 Houston era

TexanBorn51

All Pro
I lived in Houston during the 60' and 70's Lamar/U of H and a Houston fan ever since. Although the Oilers started in 1960 those five years listed below from 1975-1980 were great. The fans and city were just in a frenzy with one game away from that Super Bowl. Notice the change in coaches, players, injuries, position changes, and similarities leading to and around that era and thinking what draft style and recent decisions is best this past year but in the end it will all still be a good one. The many great draft selections that just can't go wrong. Their past record does not totally express the great talent presently within the team.
Every day passes that a growing sense of a winning time awaits for the Texans and may mean Bowl bound again within the next five years. Maybe too optimistic maybe not but then I ask were the winning seasons during 1975-1980 of a then prior 15 year old struggling team bring good times, unforgotten memories, and feelings that we can win again...hell ya! (I also waited 40 long years for the 06 Astros(Colt 45's) to go World Series for the first time and I cherished every moment of those games . (Govt work took me away from Houston, San Antonio(Spurs), to presently Phoenix. I have two more years left and I'm heading back again to Texas, my home sweet home). Love Ya (Red, White, and) Blue-Go Texans Go!

1973: To say the Oilers season was miserable would be an understatement, as Coach Bill Peterson is fired after a 0-5 start. The Oilers whose record under Peterson was a humiliating 1-18, would be led the rest of the season by Hall of Fame Coach Sid Gilman. However, not even Gilman could help, as the Oilers lost their next 2 before beating the Colts 31-27 in Baltimore for their only win of the season, as they finished the season with a 1-13 record, being outscored 447-199 on the season.

1974: Sid Gilman remains head coach but hires Bum Philips to be the defensive coordinator so he could be groomed to replace him. The Oilers would start the season off by winning their first game at the Astrodome 21-14 over the San Diego Chargers. However, the Oilers would struggle losing their next 5 games, but this time the Oilers would recover by winning their next 4 on the way to finishing with a 7-7 record. Following the season Gilman would step down, and let Bum Phillips take over.

1975: In Bum Phillips first season as Coach the Oilers finally played competitive football again posting their first winning season in 7 years with a 10-4 record. However, all 4 losses were to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cincinnati Bengals who beat out the Oilers for the Division Title and Wild Card spot.

1976: The Oilers get off to another strong start at 4-1. However, the team's offensive struggles would catch up with them as they lost 6 in a row and 8 of 8 overall to close out the season with a disappointing 5-9 record.

1977: The Oilers get off on the right foot again winning 3 of their first 4 games, which was capped by a 27-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Astrodome. However, injuries would hamper the Oilers chances as they lost 5 of their next 6. Once some key players returned the Oilers would finish the season on a strong note to finish with an 8-6 record.

1978: Spurred by RB Earl Campbell who wins both the Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Offensive Player of the Year rushes for 1,450 yards, the Oilers make the playoffs with a 10-6 record, qualifying in the newly created 5th Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card Game the Oilers would travel to Miami where they stunned the Dolphins 17-9 to advance to the Divisional Playoffs. After beating the Dolphins the Oilers traveled to New England where they faced the Patriots before 61,297 chilly fans. However, the cold weather would not bother the Oilers 31-14 to earn a trip to Pittsburgh with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. However, the Oilers run would end in disappointment as they are blown out by the Steelers 34-5. Following the loss the Oilers are greeted by 50,000 loyal fans at the Astrodome holding signs saying "Love Ya Blue."

1979: Earl Campbell continues to establish himself as the best RB in the league winning the Offensive Player of the year again while claiming the NFL MVP, by rushing for an NFL best 1,697 yards, while scoring 19 TDs. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, qualifying for the playoffs as a Wild Card again. In the first playoff game at the Astrodome the Oilers beat the Denver Broncos 13-7, but lose several key players including RB Earl Campbell, and QB Dan Pastorini to injuries. Playing without Campbell and Pastorini in the Divisional Playoffs the Oilers backup would step it up as they beat the Chargers in San Diego 17-13, as Vernon Perry sets a playoff record by intercepting 4 passes. The Oilers would move to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh for a rematch with the Steelers. The Oilers appeared to have the game tied in the 3rd Quarter but Officials said Mike Renfro was out of bounds when replays clearly showed he got both feet in. The call would be a back breaker as the Oilers fell 27-13. Following the loss the Oilers would return home where 70,000 fans showed up early in the morning to greet them in another "Love Ya Blue" rally.

1980: Earl Campbell continues to be the rest runner in the NFL winning the rushing title again, and Offensive Player of the Year again with an amazing 1,934-yard season. His season was highlighted by consecutive 200-yard games as he narrowly misses a 2,000-yard season. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, as they had to settle for the Wild Card again after losing the division via tiebreaker. In the Wild Card Game at Oakland the Oilers were stymied by the Raiders all game losing 27-7, as their season is ended by the eventual Super Bowl Champion for the 3rd year in a row. However, Owner Bud Adams was not satisfied, and he would fire Coach Bum Philips, and replace him with Ed Biles.

TexanBorn51 said:
I lived in Houston during the 60' and 70's Lamar/U of H and a Houston fan ever since. Although the Oilers started in 1960 those five years listed below from 1975-1980 were great. The fans and city were just in a frenzy with one game away from that Super Bowl. Notice the change in coaches, players, injuries, position changes, and similarities leading to and around that era and thinking what draft style and recent decisions is best this past year but in the end it will all still be a good one. The many great draft selections that just can't go wrong. Their past record does not totally express the great talent presently within the team.
Every day passes that a growing sense of a winning time awaits for the Texans and may mean Bowl bound again within the next five years. Maybe too optimistic maybe not but then I ask were the winning seasons during 1975-1980 of a then prior 15 year old struggling team bring good times, unforgotten memories, and feelings that we can win again...hell ya! (I also waited 40 long years for the 06 Astros(Colt 45's) to go World Series for the first time and I cherished every moment of those games . (Govt work took me away from Houston, San Antonio(Spurs), to presently Phoenix. I have two more years left and I'm heading back again to Texas, my home sweet home). Love Ya (Red, White, and) Blue-Go Texans Go!

1973: To say the Oilers season was miserable would be an understatement, as Coach Bill Peterson is fired after a 0-5 start. The Oilers whose record under Peterson was a humiliating 1-18, would be led the rest of the season by Hall of Fame Coach Sid Gilman. However, not even Gilman could help, as the Oilers lost their next 2 before beating the Colts 31-27 in Baltimore for their only win of the season, as they finished the season with a 1-13 record, being outscored 447-199 on the season.

1974: Sid Gilman remains head coach but hires Bum Philips to be the defensive coordinator so he could be groomed to replace him. The Oilers would start the season off by winning their first game at the Astrodome 21-14 over the San Diego Chargers. However, the Oilers would struggle losing their next 5 games, but this time the Oilers would recover by winning their next 4 on the way to finishing with a 7-7 record. Following the season Gilman would step down, and let Bum Phillips take over.

1975: In Bum Phillips first season as Coach the Oilers finally played competitive football again posting their first winning season in 7 years with a 10-4 record. However, all 4 losses were to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cincinnati Bengals who beat out the Oilers for the Division Title and Wild Card spot.

1976: The Oilers get off to another strong start at 4-1. However, the team's offensive struggles would catch up with them as they lost 6 in a row and 8 of 8 overall to close out the season with a disappointing 5-9 record.

1977: The Oilers get off on the right foot again winning 3 of their first 4 games, which was capped by a 27-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Astrodome. However, injuries would hamper the Oilers chances as they lost 5 of their next 6. Once some key players returned the Oilers would finish the season on a strong note to finish with an 8-6 record.

1978: Spurred by RB Earl Campbell who wins both the Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Offensive Player of the Year rushes for 1,450 yards, the Oilers make the playoffs with a 10-6 record, qualifying in the newly created 5th Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card Game the Oilers would travel to Miami where they stunned the Dolphins 17-9 to advance to the Divisional Playoffs. After beating the Dolphins the Oilers traveled to New England where they faced the Patriots before 61,297 chilly fans. However, the cold weather would not bother the Oilers 31-14 to earn a trip to Pittsburgh with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. However, the Oilers run would end in disappointment as they are blown out by the Steelers 34-5. Following the loss the Oilers are greeted by 50,000 loyal fans at the Astrodome holding signs saying "Love Ya Blue."

1979: Earl Campbell continues to establish himself as the best RB in the league winning the Offensive Player of the year again while claiming the NFL MVP, by rushing for an NFL best 1,697 yards, while scoring 19 TDs. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, qualifying for the playoffs as a Wild Card again. In the first playoff game at the Astrodome the Oilers beat the Denver Broncos 13-7, but lose several key players including RB Earl Campbell, and QB Dan Pastorini to injuries. Playing without Campbell and Pastorini in the Divisional Playoffs the Oilers backup would step it up as they beat the Chargers in San Diego 17-13, as Vernon Perry sets a playoff record by intercepting 4 passes. The Oilers would move to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh for a rematch with the Steelers. The Oilers appeared to have the game tied in the 3rd Quarter but Officials said Mike Renfro was out of bounds when replays clearly showed he got both feet in. The call would be a back breaker as the Oilers fell 27-13. Following the loss the Oilers would return home where 70,000 fans showed up early in the morning to greet them in another "Love Ya Blue" rally.

1980: Earl Campbell continues to be the rest runner in the NFL winning the rushing title again, and Offensive Player of the Year again with an amazing 1,934-yard season. His season was highlighted by consecutive 200-yard games as he narrowly misses a 2,000-yard season. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, as they had to settle for the Wild Card again after losing the division via tiebreaker. In the Wild Card Game at Oakland the Oilers were stymied by the Raiders all game losing 27-7, as their season is ended by the eventual Super Bowl Champion for the 3rd year in a row. However, Owner Bud Adams was not satisfied, and he would fire Coach Bum Philips, and replace him with Ed Biles.

*biting tongue, biting tongue*

TexanBorn51 said:
Owner Bud Adams was not satisfied, and he would fire Coach Bum Philips, and replace him with Ed Biles.

That was the only good think Bud Adams ever did. How were they ever going to have a chance at winning a Super Bowl with that loser Bum Phillips? (kidding)

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Agreed, Ya know what was really wild is after getting that close to the Bowl and having winning seasons like 11-5, even in 1980, Adams fired Bum. Where else does a NFL coach get fired for having such winning seasons. Bum went to NO, Houston fans were Bum(med), and the team later went down. Many of my Houston friends and fans were relieved and celebrating that Bud and the team left like "ding dong the witch is dead" and let's turn a new page. For him to leave he decided to take the whole team with him. You see it seems you can't really fire an owner like you can a coach because he does the firing. They either move, retire, and/or die. So you just have to wait it out. Now with the Texans the first big move is the letting the Capers thing go. They are still the same great owners and managers Why? cuz it's only been 4 seasons of Texans. The Texans are realistically and simply still a young team but that's good in a good way.:fans:

Back