18 game season.....mcnair says "go for it"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 27, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I began a thread in the NFL section, but this presents McNair as a driving force. Mods, please feel free to merge the threads either in the NFL section or this section, as you see appropriate.

Texans owner wants 18-game season

2. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

What comes to mind of this situation is the law of diminishing returns.

Two more games in an NFL season is not necessarily going to equate to a prorata increase in revenue of 12.5% (2/16) in revenues.

The league will generate more revenues. But I don't think it will be enough to cover the costs associated with the labor issues, which is what is driving this issue anyway.

At some point incremental growth hits it's peak.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I would be shocked if the players would not end up demanding significant monies increases. Just another clash and barrier to a owners and players coming to an agreement for avoiding stoppage and a new CBA.

4. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

In radio interviews, etc I have yet to hear a player that is in favor of an 18 game schedule. Most cited the injury factor.

5. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

I am strongly against this.

Injuries for one, and all single-stat records would be smashed...just a bad idea.

I say cut to 2 preseason and keep 16 games regular season.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I just have bad feelings about the 18 game season. I think it's going to be a sticking point for the new CBA. I get this sinking feeling about next year being a scrub year right when the Texans are finally starting to get their act togeather.

7. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Very likely. As it currently stands, Pre-Season is paid differently than the regular season, this is why so many holdouts return right before the regular season to get their "game checks". The easiest solution would be: All new contracts account for the extra 2 games, and all existing contracts to pro-rate the extra 2 weeks at the same rate as the original 16.

I'd much rather pay my "Full Fare" for only 1 preseason home game, rather than two.

8. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

The Dolphins "undefeated season" in '72 was after a 14-game regular season. Stats be damned....just like they were then.

Injuries? - We lost two draft picks this year in PRE-Season...I'd rather lose guys when the games count.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

So we might not have a 2011 season at all and then you expect the players to come back after 20 months off and play 18 regular season games?? riiiight

10. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

I know it was. I just think 18 is too much

Yes, we lost 2 draft picks in the first two games of the pre-season. Less pre-season = less chance for injury

11. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

if they do it I hope one of the weeks is set aside for state rivalry week(or something like that). I would like to play the cowboys every year. Seems like it would make sense to have all the instate teams play each other every year.

12. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

rosters would have to be expanded as well

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I understand the owners wish for more money. But surely there must be other options? I read an article (sorry, cant find the link) that said a minor league between the draft and training camp would be huge. Make it like a season, players under a certain age (or years pro) are eligible, and expand the draft. With the rise in interest in the draft, people would eat this up. Especially if the minor league team was placed close to the home city.

14. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Since when did it get that cold in Mexico or London?! Canada would be a problem, but, that's what DOMED STADIUMS are for!! Just a ploy to get teams in another Country. JMO! The start of the demise of the NFL as we know it, if that happens.

False Start likes this.
  15. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Where will the extra two opponents come from? Right now you play 1 AFC division, 1 NFC Division, 6 games inside your own division, and the other 2 are against teams inside your conference that had the same placing as you.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Probably two of the opposing conference that finished in the same place as you.

Or, they could do something interesting like rivalry weeks. We could play Dallas and NO every year.

17. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Rivalry weeks wont happen. The NFL tries to make everything as fair as possible. Say we are rivals with Dallas, and they are doing well. And the Jags are rivals with, I dont kow, Tampa Bay. TB sucks. Jacksonville would have a definite advantage for a while.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I think a pay increase is going to have to happen so the owners may as well get over it. If they really want to make it easier on themselves they'll quit setting new records on contracts. I'm for more football so...yup. I'll be pissed if ticket prices spike though, we pay full price for pre season anyway. I'm curious on how they plan to support the small market teams, bigger rosters means more contracts....

19. False Start

False Start On # 69

My brother mentioned earlier that his idea would be to make last 4 games of the season be Divisional games, that would be pretty cool IMO.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You may be right, but the NFL is not concerned with short term advantages. They will be looking at the $$$. I look for some really creative marketing to offset some of the increased expenses due to player salaries, roster expansion, and more international games.