18 Game Season "A done deal"

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by toxictrix, Sep 27, 2010.

1. toxictrix

toxictrix Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441

Bill Polian says its a done deal. I personally don't like it. Discuss?

2. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Less meaningless preseason games and two more football games that count=me enjoying more football.

I like it.

3. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

The question to me is "At what cost?" Currently, preseason and regular season tickets cost the same. In order to do this, I've heard talk about adding players to the roster and possible creating an instructional league. All this stuff costs money so how much is the NFL going to gouge me?

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

More football is always betters, especially since the Texans always seem to reach their stride toward the end of the season. 2 extra games last year puts us in the playoffs.

Sure records will suffer and players will complain. The quality of football for each game will probably drop a little. But we surived going from 14 to 16, and we'll surive 16 to 18.

Having only 8 home games per year is simply depressing. For teams that get back to back homegames to open the season, thats a 4th of your football action for the year.

As a pure consumer, I find it appealing

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

as a fan I won't complain just let there be football in 2011.

gtexan02 likes this.
  6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

An instructional league could potentially bring in a good amount of money, especially in markets that don't have a team. The jerseys, of course, would have to have sponsors on them.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury.

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

This is what I want. Give smaller cities teams, maybe near the "home/parent" team (i.e. - Houston: San Antonio Green Bay: Milwaukee). Every other sport does it.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

You might be right but there are some good things more teams would have a shot at the playoffs.

10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Start the record books over. That's my biggest gripe. No asterisk, just start over.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

ItÂ’s already a brutal game, and 16 regular season games is a long stretch for everyone to stay healthy. If they go to an 18 games season I hope like hell there are two bye weeks for the players.

12. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Thats an interesting idea. I havent heard that. But can the Texans have Austin. San Antonio is infected with Cowboys fans.

13. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't like this. As a fan it sounds great but the risk of injury goes up even more with 18 games. It will just become a watered down product by the 17th and 18th game, not to mention the playoffs.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take.

14. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

They didnt start them over the last time they expanded the regular season. Why now?

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

fify

16. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I heard that they will be adding in at least one extra buy week to help keep the injuries down.

I love the idea of 3 extra weeks of football, but I am a little scared of the extra injuries.

I'm a big CFL fan, being that I live in Canada, and we have an 18 season here that works fine. We use a 9 game injured reserve system, so the injured player can still come back during the year. The CFL isn't quite as violent as the NFL though.

17. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Yeah, I'd agree there isn't the focus on violence in the CFL that there is in the NFL...far less 'big hits'.

I don't like the idea of an 18 game season. Its all money, and I think that player safety is a huge concern. Players retiring with life long injuries are high enough as it is. I just don't see why there should be an extra 2 games.

The preseason games are not as intense, and feature less playing time for starters as well, so the 'there will be the same amount of games' argument doesn't trade it off for me.

I know that football is a violent and intense game, but I just don't see why there is a need for an extra two games per team, other than to line the pockets of the upper echelons even more.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't like it. I think it's a mistake and I think that we'll see shorter careers as a result of it.

Owners greed is forcing this to become a reality. I haven't seen any fans asking for it. I haven't heard any players talking about what a good idea it is. Just owners wanting to find a way to charge people more for their product.

19. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

They should just eliminate 2 preseason games instead of adding 2 more regular season games.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

Two more games = two more shots at revenue. Advertising revenue, concession revenue, ticket sales, merchandise kiosk sales at the games, parking lot sales, etc.

No wonder McNair was a huge proponent of it. LOL.

Players will need to have more money, too.

What a dumb idea, IMO. It's stuff like this that makes you wonder sometimes. Commissioners of leagues either know how to let the league function as it should, and others come along and try to perform experiments on its inner workings.

This is like Trump and the USFL. All over again. Trying to be bigger than the game itself, IMO. I think it's a horrible idea. 16 games is grueling already. Two more? Jiminy Christmas. What good is two extra games to the fans if it means higher fatigue and more potential for injuries?

I have a feeling there will be a league-wide consensus among players on every team that they DOG IT during the last two games. Unless there's a team or three who is fighting for a playoff spot. All the rest will undoubtedly be DOGGING IT those last two games. And who will tune in to see those two regular season games at the end of the season that actually resemble the final/4th preseason game where only the backups play?