0-16 Can it happen again?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by thunderkyss, Nov 4, 2009.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was looking at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A team ruined by John "Chucky" Gruden and others.

After week 8, they are 0-7 if it weren't for their bye week, they would probably 0-8.

They've played & lost to the Cowboys, the Bills, the Giants, the Redskins, the Eagles, the Panthers, & the Patriots.

& that was the easy part of their schedule.

in the future, they will face

the Packers....
    the Dolphins..
    the Saints..
    the Falcons..
    the Panthers...
    the Jets..
    the Seahawks..
    the Saints..
    the Falcons..

It's not looking good for the Bucs.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Perhaps they should go back to the winking Buccaneer on their helmets. LOL

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they're wearing those uniforms this weekend against the Packers, actually. fitting.

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

There only chance for a win.

5. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

they will probably beat seattle. They just need one good game out of derrick ward to pull out a win. don't see them as 0-16 bad. Just don't.

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

derrick ward? i don't think the coaches even know he's still on the team.

thunderkyss likes this.
  7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

as they get worse, teams will overlook them. This 1st round QB may help them a bit

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

They are an awfull team. Love how you say Gruden "ruined" them. He led almost the same team to 9-7. They have a head coach in way over his head. They reached on a very rough, raw QB in Freemen. They traded for K Squared and gave him all that jack. What a train wreck.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Which is why people thought it was impossible for a team to go 0-16 before last year.... but it did happen.

That team used to be loaded with talent. Anybody on that team worth talking about now, that wasn't part of Dungy's team?

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

But, how did they go 9-7 under Gruden, yet can't win a game under Morris? Not only can't they win, they look 100% putrid. Maybe Gruden made some mistakes, but I don't think he ruined it. Also love people making a big deal that Gruden won with Dungy's team, when Dungy couldn't win with his team. Also couldn't win with Peyton save one year.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Dungy had one losing season in his 13 years as a head coach (his 1st) and 10 double digit wins in those 13 years. Good call on any sentence including "Dungy couldn't win."

12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

One ring. The best QB of all time, and a favorite to win it all how many times. One ring. Ran out of Tampa because he couldn't finish the deal. One ring. In Indy they underachieved alot. He almost was the new Marty Schotenhiemer.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

maybe winning a Super Bowl is harder than it sounds. a crazy thought.

12 straight winning seasons also isn't easy. Dungy's one of the all-time greats. just because he didn't win in Tampa doesn't me he COULDN'T win there. the Bucs' defense didn't hit their prime until the next season under Gruden. good timing for him. of course, Gruden immediately demolished the team after that.

anyway, the Bucs were pretty bad last year, but had a fluke of a run to start the year, and are the only team ever to start 9-3 and miss the playoffs. so they've lost 11 straight now i believe.

word is that Josh Freeman has gained 20 pounds since the draft. that combined with the fact that he's already had 2 offensive coordinators in his FIRST season, we could be looking at a special hybrid of JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith. its almost like the Bucs are going out of their way to make sure Freeman sucks. although just being an awful player doesn't help that. i have no clue how he could possibly be good, ever.

dc_txtech likes this.
  14. infantrycak

I'll take double digits wins from now to eternity. I think it is silly to act as if the coaching underachieved under Dungy. What was the question before they won the SB? - it wasn't Dungy choking, it was whether Manning choked in the playoffs. What did he throw, 4 or 5 picks the year before they won? Was that on Dungy? Different philosophy. Unless there are some obvious brain dead decisions causing loses I am not going to ditch a double digit winning coach based solely on not winning the SB enough. Heck the Cowboys should have an extra SB trophy right now but for being pre-review era. Is that Landry's fault?

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Monte Kiffin leaving is a primary reason for their suckage. The defense is the only thing the Vols have keeping them in games right now.

IMO, they lacked consistency at the QB position and Gruden knew it. Which is why he went after Plummer, Favre and who knows else.

They also purged older players for youth.

16. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

The Bucs won't go 0-16. The only team i thought had a chance to(St. Louis) won last weekend.

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

the primary reason is Gruden and Allen's horrible drafting and the money spent on abysmal players. also they have dead cap money of 25 million bucks in two guys who got paid league minimum. how is that possible, you ask? Bruce Allen!

the reason they lacked consistency at the QB position was Gruden. he kept wanting to bring in new veterans every single year, never looking at the position in the draft, and never sticking with one guy. he HATED Brad Johnson. Jeff Garcia was the closest he had to a consistent starter, and Garcia wound up hating him after a while. little known fact: many many players hate Gruden.

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

BS. If we hade that many winning seasons combined with not getting out of the 1st game, you would be pitching a freakin fit. Everyone should. Marty won lots of games without winning shit. Just sayin. I just get annoyed when people act like Gruden was a complete POS and Dungy was God when Gruden did better with Dungy's team then he did.

19. infantrycak

Don't project you onto me. No I would not be.

We simply disagree. I would have been very happy as a Colts fan over the last decade even without the Super Bowl. Super Bowl's are tough and ephemeral. I like watching a winning team on a consistent basis and Dungy has done that with the best. How many home games did Colts fans walk away from the stadium with a L under Dungy? 10-14 total? I'll take that.

I didn't say Gruden was a POS. I just endorsed Dungy as an excellent coach. As between the two I would take him every time over Gruden. I don't like Gruden's approach to QB's at all.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

because a coach's career shouldn't be defined by one season. nor should a quarterback, or whatever. sustained success is the key here. fact is that Dungy completely turned the Bucs around, and he took a struggling Colts team and got 6 straight seasons of 12 wins or more. and Dungy leaves the Colts with a great future, and a 7-0 record now. Gruden left the Bucs in shambles. oh, and shortly after leaving the Raiders, they completely fell apart, too. what a coincidence.