Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2005   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why are YOU a Houston Texans fan???

I was thinking about this so I decided to put it to the board. Why are you a Houston Texans fan?

There are various reasons why people get behind a team. I thought it would be cool to find out why you got behind the Texans.

I love football, I think itís the most exciting game to not only play, but watch too. I am NOT a football expert, I do not know the in and outs that some do on this board, but to me thatís not as important as the fun and excitement that the game brings.

So why a Houston Texans fan? There are 31 other teams out there?

For a couple of years in high school I was a ball boy for the Oilers. I carried Jeff Fishers radio cords for him for his first game as head coach on MNF. When the Oilers left, I lost my job. Then I moved to Colorado a couple of years latter. When the Texans were announced I instantly fell in love with the team. The team gives me a since of pride for my home state, and city. Itís also nice to be there from the beginning and watch the team grow. A lot of us have been here for all excitement, and all the anger  The Texans also closed the door on the void that Bud Adams left us with.

For me, the Texans ARE Texas, they represent everything our state stands for.

GOD BLESS TEXAS AND GO TEXANS!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

That's pretty cool on the ball boy thing. Was that during the Mojo era?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

If it has the name Houston on the uniform, I'm cheering for them.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a Texans fan because I believe that when you are born in a city that has NFL football you are assigned the team in that city by GOD HIMSELF and are honor bound to support that team until the day you die, or the day they move away and abandon you (for examples see the Houston Oilers, Cleveland Browns (original), St Louis Cardinals, Oakland Raiders, Los Angelas Raiders, Los Angelas Rams, and maybe the worst offender ever, the Baltimore Colts)

Once your team has given your city the shaft you are free to support any team you like, even the one that deserted you if you so desire. When the NFL sees fit to right the wrong that was done to you then it's like you've been drafted. In Houston's case you're now a Texans fan and you'd better get to work on that ASAP.
Old 06-26-2005   #5
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Do you have that written down somewhere? I remember you saying something incredibly similar when the topic was brought up awhile ago (probably over a year or so).

In any case, I agree with that. I was born in Houston and grew up as a child rooting for the Oilers even if I didn't understand the game or what I was really cheering for. When they left I lost all interest in football...but it was revived when Houston got a team and I took the time to watch their opener against Dallas. (Still have the VHS which I watch occasionally).

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #6
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
That's pretty cool on the ball boy thing. Was that during the Mojo era?

Yep, I was there in 95, the year that he passed.
Old 06-26-2005   #7
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Do you have that written down somewhere? I remember you saying something incredibly similar when the topic was brought up awhile ago (probably over a year or so).

Nope, nothing written down, it's just the reason I'm a Texans fan

I didn't even remember us talking about that! Good memory Led, I think I remember something now that you bring that up!
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2005   #8
Capster67
Veteran

Default Why

I got hooked on the Houston Oilers during Earl Campbell's rookie season in 1978. I was 11 at the time. I figured that I would follow all the teams from Houston so I wasn't hoping from one city's sports team to another city's in each sport. I have spent the last 27 years rooting on the Oilers, Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Texans, Comets, Energy, Cougars ... you name it. What a ride it's been!!! Can't imagine life without Houston sports (even though I've only been in the city once for a Texans preseason game against the Broncos 2 years ago). Hope to get there again for a regular season Texans game again soon.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Yep, I was there in 95, the year that he passed.
I sat beside his Family at a Chiefs - Oilers game once. Fine folks. RIP Mojo.

I was an early Bears fan (i mean real early). My Father was from Illinois and he was the one that got me hooked on football at an early age. I became an Oiler fan when we moved to Houston in the early 70's however mainly due to Herv's fundamental laws of football fanship and the rest is pretty much history.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Being born in Irving - as noted above it was my God given right to support the Cowboys. Plus it was easy since they were the self proclaimed America's team and I found out growing up it was either a love em or hate em depending on the NFL fan you asked. So, I loved them through the 70's and even in the 80's when my parents moved me to Houston to which I discovered Columbia blue and Bud.

Ah, Bud - you made it SO easy for me not to switch allegiance to the Oilers. So, I stayed with the Cowboys through the glorious decade of the 90s with JJ coaching the "highlights". Then Jerrah avanced further down the path of the dark side - became a little too obsessed with "knowing it all" and what was best for the team. The force was strong with Lord Jones, but he was swayed towards evil - tarnished the star. (oops, I digress.)

So, not fully heart and soul into the support of the Boys, I floundered a bit. Just about then there was news that Houston was in the running for the 32nd franchise and watched that process with great interest - the light shined down, the angles sang, the clouds parted, (L.A. couldn't get it together even with Tags giving multiple chances) and alas St. McNair brought forth the mighty TEXANS from the ashes of the dome. Amen.

So, yes - I'll still root for the Cowboys (never forget your first love), but my heart and soul support is all TEXANS.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #11
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a houstonian. I've always given the home teams support through thick and thin.
Old 06-26-2005   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Nope, nothing written down, it's just the reason I'm a Texans fan

I didn't even remember us talking about that! Good memory Led, I think I remember something now that you bring that up!
My mistake, I was talking about Herv's post above mine. So, on a positive note, you don't have alzheimers at 28.

Old 06-26-2005   #13
Dunta_23
All Pro

Being from Canada, I cant really tell u the 1 reason I really like the Texans....I've followed them since they started and enjoy watching the progress of the young players and another big plus is the fact that most teams give them the underdog role...its nice to watch them upset
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #14
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
the light shined down, the angles sang, the clouds parted, (L.A. couldn't get it together even with Tags giving multiple chances) and alas St. McNair brought forth the mighty TEXANS from the ashes of the dome. Amen.

PREACH IT BROTHER, PREACH IT! AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

It was a special day when it was announced
Old 06-26-2005   #15
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

I never really watched the NFL all that much I guess I was sorta for the Cowboys but I remember I watched the opener against Dallas and 2 things struck me.

#1 I never really watched football much I thought it would be cool to be for a team that just started PLUSE there from Texas. #2 That QB they have is sure good for a Rookie LOL.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I've probably used that answer a half dozen times Led. It's like a "Who's on First?" routine for me now. It came up a long time ago when a good friend of mine was talking about being a lifelong Steeler fan. Well, he's from Kentucky where they have no NFL football so in my mind he's like a free agent. Anyone born where there is no NFL football is free to choose their team and they can move to a town with NFL football and keep that team if they want, hence he did not have to become an Oiler fan when he moved here.

We came up with all kinds of rules and laws, corallary's and exceptions. Someday I need to write it all down.
Old 06-26-2005   #17
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My mistake, I was talking about Herv's post above mine. So, on a positive note, you don't have alzheimers at 28.

Right on....but now why do I feel like we've talked about that?????Now I am just confussed! I'm sure this isn't the first time I've talked about this here.
Old 06-26-2005   #18
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

No doubt that it's been brought up several times before, so you could remember the same things I do. (Just took a little longer to jog the old age memory?)

Old 06-26-2005   #19
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No doubt that it's been brought up several times before, so you could remember the same things I do. (Just took a little longer to jog the old age memory?)

Nice, nice!

Let's have a beer together at one of the games. . . O'h wait, you can't, your only twenty

Last edited by Texans Pride; 06-26-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2005   #20
Bob_A
Rookie

----Long Version----
I was born in Baltimore and raised on the Colts from the height of the Johnny U days right up through the dark days leading to their Robert Irsay-led demise. Meanwhile I had migrated to Houston and and had a flirtatious affair with the Oilers but it was never serious. It was just too soon and my football heart was not in it. We parted as friends and there were no hard feelings when they left for Tennessee.
When the 32nd franchise was awarded to Houston I knew that I would jump on board as a fan. I was caught up in the excitement and was an early season ticket buyer. Being in on the 'ground floor' of a franchise's life was something I had not experienced and I think it makes my feelings for the Texans that much stronger. There is a certain sense of 'ownership' involved. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. The fact that the franchise has been very fan friendly since the beginning has helped cement my love for this team.
I took my father to the franchise opener as a way of repaying him (in a small way) for all the games he took me to when I was growing up. I've seen many memorable events in person but that was the most emotional and exciting game I've ever been to. When Billy Miller scored I was hooked forever. And my father, always the kind of guy who ran to be the first guy thru the exits to "beat the traffic" didn't want to leave until he had soaked up his fill of the atmosphere.

----Short version----
19-10 Baby!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read