Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2013   #1
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Whats the Cap Hit on Smith and OD?

im trying to figure out why we picked up sam montgomery. theres no way this guy can play lb. might he be smiths replacement for this year and not next? it might allow us to pick up a nt.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whats the Cap Hit on Smith and OD?

Sam Montgomery is kinda smallish for a 34 DE...

But I think they've already said he's an OLB for us.

Really I'd classify them as edge players and interior players. Montgomery is not an interior player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #3
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've watched a bunch of his games and I can say I don't know where he really fits.

Pro's
-Great strength
-Can set the edge
-Excellent Hustler

Con's
-Last one off the ball
-Can't play in space
-Lacks Athleticism
-Has no real pass rush moves
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #4
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

OD's contract info
Ninja's contract info
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #5
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
im trying to figure out why we picked up sam montgomery. theres no way this guy can play lb. might he be smiths replacement for this year and not next? it might allow us to pick up a nt.
This is the one pick that I just don't understand. His size & speed, for most 3-4 defenses, seems to put him in between the LB & DE position w/ him leaning to more of the LB position being that he only weighs 7-10lbs more then Reed & Cushing. The problem is his speed, or lack thereof, for a speed rusher. With that being said, he would need roughly need an extra 20lbs on him to play DE where is speed wouldn't be a concern. The question marks seem to be there physically & w/ his reported poor combine interviews in which it was revealed that he took not only plays, but in some cases games off against lesser opponents it makes me wonder what the appeal was.

I felt there were better options at other positions to be honest, but I guess we will have to wait & see what's up Wade's sleeve for this guy.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he was a "wow, he's still on the board" type pick. One of those guys you know can ball just don't know where to play him. I have some faith Wade/Herring will find a way to use him. Makes for scheme diversity.
Old 04-30-2013   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
This is the one pick that I just don't understand. His size & speed, for most 3-4 defenses, seems to put him in between the LB & DE position w/ him leaning to more of the LB position being that he only weighs 7-10lbs more then Reed & Cushing. The problem is his speed, or lack thereof, for a speed rusher. With that being said, he would need roughly need an extra 20lbs on him to play DE where is speed wouldn't be a concern.
I heard the radio guy who called his games in college on 610. He said Montgomery put on a considerable amount of weight for last season and it slowed him down.. He said going down in weight was a better option for him than going up. Thought he would play best in the 250 -255 range.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read