Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 6th round Ryan Griffin TE Uconn

Well, I've seen more tapes on Griffin and I have to downgrade his prospect a little bit; after all, he's a sixth round pick.

I finally found a scouting report that I agree with about his blocking.
It's still lacking in several aspects, especially for a big guy like him.

http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/6/pos...fl-draft1.html

Griffin really needs to improve in that area if he wants to make the team.
He looks capable; I don't know why the results weren't more consistent.
Guess that's why he's a sixth round pick.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, I've seen more tapes on Griffin and I have to downgrade his prospect a little bit; after all, he's a sixth round pick.

replaces Supernaw on PS while Phillip should earn a roster spot.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #23
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Yeah, the Texans seem to be high on Supernaw, and there's no way we only go with 2 TE's like last year with the FB, Casey, being the 3rd. Of course they could go with 4 TE's, but then they lose another player somewhere else, like WR or OL. It will all come down to ST's and who can play ST's better.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I doubt we'd try to send him to the PS with the chance of another team grabbing him.
Old 05-15-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Can you name any good blocking TEs in the league now?

I can't.
Old 05-15-2013   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I doubt we'd try to send him to the PS with the chance of another team grabbing him.
Then he must be placed on active roster. I'll go with Supernaw for time being which is why TE wasn't on my draft list after 5th where you might feel that obligation.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Why would another team grab him? He doesn't appear to be that hot a commodity to me.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah...I wouldn't PS him either...

He's 6'6", big frame, good mobility and can catch.

I could easily see a team that's not deep at TE or has an injury picking him up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year, we hold our breaths because we're sure that one of our later round picks or UDFAs can't possibly make it to the PS.

And then they do.

I'm not going to worry about this guy going to the PS until he tears it up in TC and puts some good tape out there in the preseason games.
Old 05-15-2013   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Every year, we hold our breaths because we're sure that one of our later round picks or UDFAs can't possibly make it to the PS
I don't worry about it every year and the only guy that I didn't want on the PS last year did get taken.
Old 05-15-2013   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Can you name any good blocking TEs in the league now?

I can't.
I definitely cannot name them all because I don't pay enough attention to all of them all the time.

But I do compare their blocking with ours in the games the teams face each other.

The guys that I watched more to know for sure are Dreessen, and Garrett Graham.

Then there's a guy named Brandon Myers whom I wanted the Texans to draft over Anthony Hill for the exact reason.
At the time, when I "scouted" him, I mentioned on this board that I haven't enjoyed watching a college TE blocking like that for quite a while.
He wasn't utilized enough in the passing game, but IMO, does possess the ability.
He became a starter and recently signed a nice contract with the Giants.

Graham wasn't as good a blocker at Wisconsin, but he was pretty good.
In fact, his production was hindered because he was asked to block;
the other TEs just couldn't get the job done (if I remember correctly, Lance Kendrick was one of them who got drafted a year later.)

Toilolo (Stanford), for example, is a guy I think can bring good value due to his blocking skill to the pros (along with his underrated catching ability).

I have a few names in the pro, but I hesitate to name, because I don't watch them enough to confirm.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't worry about it every year and the only guy that I didn't want on the PS last year did get taken.
YOU might not worry about it every year but this board does.

Keenum can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Eddie Pleasant can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson can't go on the PS, they'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Brandon Frye can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. And so on and so on.

So... Grimes got taken. Eventually someone has to. Doesn't mean you're prescient about it.
Old 05-15-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
YOU might not worry about it every year but this board does.

Keenum can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Eddie Pleasant can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson can't go on the PS, they'll get taken. Didn't get taken. Brandon Frye can't go on the PS, he'll get taken. Didn't get taken. And so on and so on.

So... Grimes got taken. Eventually someone has to. Doesn't mean you're prescient about it.
I really don't care what the rest of the board worries about and neither should you as that has no effect on our individual opinions. It's about as irrelevant as it gets.

At this moment, without having seen any camp or pre-season, I'd bet against them PS Griffen. I believe he'd get taken.

But seeing that I wasn't worried about any of the guys you named, but the one guy that I was worried about was taken maybe I do have foresight.
Old 05-15-2013   #34
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I really don't care if this guy makes the roster or not. Not worried about him making it to the Practice squad or not. If someone else wants to take him they can. As far as TE goes, I'm really only down on post injury Owen Daniels, I still don't think he's the same as he was before and I think he can be replaced for what he's commanding in salary.
Old 05-15-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Every year, we hold our breaths because we're sure that one of our later round picks or UDFAs can't possibly make it to the PS.

And then they do.
I get your point.
Old 05-15-2013   #36
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is not making the final 53 unless he shows something in camp this year. The Texans are not going to keep every single draft pick from this year on the active roster.
Old 05-16-2013   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Grimes wasn't good enough to stick with the Jets or the Texans, so what did it matter? Fringe players live going from the practice squad to the back end of rosters and back again. Not saying Griffin is a fringe player, because I've never seen him in a NFL uniform.
Old 05-16-2013   #38
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1944 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the difference if someone takes one of our players off our practice squad? There's 31 other PS's out there that we can grab a player off. Do you really think our PS is loaded down with so much better talent than the others? Really?

I look at it like we have our choice of 250 or so players from a talent pool of 32 PS's including our own if we're looking to move a player up. I wouldn't get to attached to our guys over the rest of the PS players...they're all borderline players that couldn't quite make their teams. If we need an O Lineman, we can sign the best one off any PS out there, but we have to move him to the 53 man roster, just like we'd have to do if we moved one of our own up.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong, I want this guy to perform so well in TC and the pre-season games that we have to sign him to the 53.

But at this point, he's just a guy. Granted, he's just one of our guys so we want him to be a steal but still JAG at this point.
Old 03-11-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree. Good re-reads below.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva
Quote:
Ryan Griffin, 2014 breakout candidate. #Texans
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Was a big fan of TE Ryan Griffin as a prospect, looks like he'll get his chance in Houston this season
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nice article on the young man.............with lots of interesting in-game screen shots to illustrate his play.

No-Huddle Series: UConn TE Ryan Griffin
Window Shopping: TE Ryan Griffin
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read