Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2014   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arian foster Gives Case Keenum a real chance.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/s...s-starting-qb/

Quote:
This idea that Keenum's already flamed out after eight games of being yo-yoed around in his first year playing never held much basis in reality. Keenum showed more than enough promise under impossible circumstances to warrant a real chance. Keenum still has yet to play even one full game with the Texans' most important offensive player.

Plenty would have been different for Keenum and the Texans if the University of Houston star had Arian Foster in the backfield last season. There's no way Keenum finishes winless as a starter with a healthy Foster for one. That 0-8 easily would have been two to three wins better. At minimum.
Pretty interesting article i do agree with some points for sure. No doubt not having Foster allowed defenses to key in on Keenum more.
Old 05-30-2014   #2
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian foster Gives Case Keenum a real chance.

This man's opinion will always be tainted by his article saying we should have drafted Nick Fairley instead of JJ Watt, and saying we would be sorry for it.
Old 05-30-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Strange title from the "pizza boy JJ Watt" originator...

Does Arian's presence only help Keenum, or all the QBs...?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster in the backfield or not doesn't change the fact that Keenum couldn't recognize defenses or pressure packages & make the proper adjustments in protection presnap.

That was the single biggest issue for him last season , that's not to say he cant make improvements in that department either but for him to become a real NFL caliber QB he's going to have to make great strides , not just marginal improvement in that aspect of QB play.

Good Luck .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
This man's opinion will always be tainted by his article saying we should have drafted Nick Fairley instead of JJ Watt, and saying we would be sorry for it.

It wasn't that he just said we should have taken Fairley over Watt; it was how he said it. He dismissively referred to Watt as Pizza Boy. That is immature and unprofessional, even if you didn't like the Watt pick at the time.

Tom Savage switched schools more than once, and yet, Baldwin dismissively referred to him as "Mr Transfer" and essentially said that he was a weak person who couldn't handle adversity. That's just a bit much.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #6
JPPT1974
September Falls

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum had to start right away last year. And really was trying to learn the offense. But hopefully he will really be better this year. As he gets to know the offense more.
Old 05-31-2014   #7
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what to put on Schaub and the rest of the qb's anymore. Someone showed me some clips from last year of this team and there were certain instances where the team just seemed confused.

Case running back and taking massive losses on those sacks is inexcusable, but on some of those sacks it wasn't about case not recognizing it. Our oline simply didn't pick it up.

I don't think kubiak did a good job making adjustments over any time period and I think those chickens came home to roost last season. Lots of confusion out there. Undisciplined play. I have been down on Schaub for a while as a player, but I've also said some of that could have been due to the offense as well. Schaub was no star talent, but I don't think he was a scrub he looked like last year either.

I'm not sure how any of these qb's will perform or if ultimately on OB will field a more disciplined, finely tuned team but I suspect he will.

I say all this to say that I think case has some talent and if he can mentally grasp this offense, and if OB can do his thing case and the other qb's could really surprise. I think the qb battle is going to good. The one guy I worry about is Yates...from a fit standpoint. But hell...he could surprise me too.

I also heard that the texans were trying to move Yates before the draft as well. Fwiw.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2014   #8
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm tired of all these excuses needed for Keenum to be successful. I'm pulling for him to be our starter this year but I'm tired of the fans saying that he needs an OL a RB, etc to succeed. Let's just see what he can do in this new system. He has a chance, now let's see and hope he can overcome the QB battle.
Old 05-31-2014   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Arian Foster in the backfield or not doesn't change the fact that Keenum couldn't recognize defenses or pressure packages & make the proper adjustments in protection presnap.

That was the single biggest issue for him last season , that's not to say he cant make improvements in that department either but for him to become a real NFL caliber QB he's going to have to make great strides , not just marginal improvement in that aspect of QB play.

Good Luck .....
The strange thing, is that the Texans called protection the same way they did it at A&M (and I'm assuming the same way at UH) in so much as it was done by the center.

It seemed as if Case wasn't on the same page with the OL because he thought the free runner was going to get picked up by someone else, when "everybody" else knew he had to deal with that guy.

Maybe he was calling the protection at UH, I'm just assuming it was handled the same in all the Art Briles' systems.

But yeah, hope he improves in this area big time.
Old 05-31-2014   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a piece by a Texans writer I very much enjoy and respect. Reading this article in retrospect gives a insightful look into the Keenum case, and for maintaining the case for Keenum.

Case Keenum and The Dumbening of the Texans
Rivers McCown
Posted: December 16, 2013
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Strange title from the "pizza boy JJ Watt" originator...

Does Arian's presence only help Keenum, or all the QBs...?
Helps all QBs but when TJ was QB he had a healthy fosters, only starter we have had at QB who hasnt had foster is keenum thus far.
Old 05-31-2014   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
...He dismissively referred to Watt as Pizza Boy. That is immature and unprofessional...

Tom Savage switched schools more than once, and yet, Baldwin dismissively referred to him as "Mr Transfer" and essentially said that he was a weak person who couldn't handle adversity...
It's the equivalent of a child saying he's going to "hold my breath until I turn blue"...

The writer is ignorant of sports but seeks attention. I suggest the only way he'll get that attention is if he stands next to Johnny Manziel.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Helps all QBs but when TJ was QB he had a healthy fosters, only starter we have had at QB who hasnt had foster is keenum thus far.
Hmmm, very true. It's obvious when you slow down and think about it.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tate was playing very well prior to the rib injury .... then again towards the end , Keenum has street FA's in the backfield behind him & that O-line was horrible , Wade Smith & Newton in particular.

I have to wonder how much of Brown's mediocre to poor play had to do with having Smith next to him.

That doesn't change the fact that he had problems reading defenses and making adjustments.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tate was playing very well prior to the rib injury .... then again towards the end , Keenum has street FA's in the backfield behind him & that O-line was horrible , Wade Smith & Newton in particular.

I have to wonder how much of Brown's mediocre to poor play had to do with having Smith next to him.

That doesn't change the fact that he had problems reading defenses and making adjustments.
With X next to Brown next yr we will find out how bad Wade Smith really was. Brown + X equals being able to convert in the red zone and 3rd and short situations. I'm excited.

All rookie QB's (Which Keenum essentially was) have trouble reading defenses and making adjustments. According to Schaub in another thread the QB's weren't allowed to make many adjustments in last yrs offense.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I'm tired of all these excuses needed for Keenum to be successful. I'm pulling for him to be our starter this year but I'm tired of the fans saying that he needs an OL a RB, etc to succeed. Let's just see what he can do in this new system. He has a chance, now let's see and hope he can overcome the QB battle.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most QB's need an OL and/or a RB to really be successful. I want to see the guy with no protection or running game who wins more than he loses. That's guy's going to be spectacular. I'm not saying he doesn't exist but Peyton Manning and Dan Marino don't come around very often and even then they don't win it all without some help.

This year he either seizes the opportunity and takes the starting spot on his own, then runs with it or we gotta keep turning over rocks until we find the guy who does.
Old 05-31-2014   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At the same time, TJ didn't have a healthy AJ. Keenum did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With X next to Brown next yr we will find out how bad Wade Smith really was. Brown + X equals being able to convert in the red zone and 3rd and short situations. I'm excited.

All rookie QB's (Which Keenum essentially was) have trouble reading defenses and making adjustments. According to Schaub in another thread the QB's weren't allowed to make many adjustments in last yrs offense.
It's funny now that nobody has to cover for anyone else how things are starting to look. Schaub's in Oakland and he's got no incentive to keep his mouth shut about last season. Case and Yates are here under a new regime and they'll stay polite and not point any fingers but even they sound like they're happy to be playing in a different system and starting over. Gary's in Baltimore and I just keep wondering if Joe Flacco, who's already won a Super Bowl is about to get told to play the position the way Gary tells him to.
Old 05-31-2014   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
At the same time, TJ didn't have a healthy AJ. Keenum did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. They are fundamentally different things though. Having Foster means you've got an effective run game which is an alternative to dropping back and throwing the ball. Having AJ means you have another target to throw to but the fear of throwing the ball to AJ isn't going to slow that pass rush down even a bit.
Old 05-31-2014   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Tate was playing very well prior to the rib injury ....
Well, Keenum came in for the KC game, right? Foster went down early in the KC game? Trying to remember .... what I do remember is that Tate got slammed in the ribs by Dontari Poe in that KC game (first half or right after halftime, IIRC) and played crappy thereafter. Well, crappy being relative. He's a tough dude. So Keenum had a healthy Tate for a couple quarters maybe. And he did very well.

All that said, I'm pretty done with this discussion. Keenum's getting a shot, TJ's getting a shot, Savage is getting a shot ... I'm a happy man. I'm hoping for Keenum, but want the best man to win. I think most Keenum fans fall into that category, actually. We just tend to respond to the haters that insist he's crap, done, etc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read