Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give the Texans for their first round selection?
A 102 74.45%
B 34 24.82%
C 1 0.73%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins

What grade do you give the Texans for their first round selection?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 1 DeAndre Hopkins

A+

They had their pick of the WR's and got the best of the group slated to go in round 1.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

With the caveat that one year's A grade doesn't match another year's, I give them an A. They had their pick of WR and they didn't screw around.
Old 04-25-2013   #4
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My grade for the pick is an A. Outside of Austin, They had their choice of WR's. I have to think they got the man they coveted.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #5
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is Walter Footballs grade:

Houston Texans (Last Year: 12-4)

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

27. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: A Grade
Charlie and I were told the Texans would draft Justin Hunter - but only if DeAndre Hopkins was off the board. Hopkins was discussed to be a candidate for No. 14 overall to the Panthers, so we figured that he wouldn't be available. Well, the Texans lucked out and got their man. Hopkins is a sound, pro-ready receiver who should be able to step in immediately as the starter across from Andre Johnson.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than the hotel room incident, I really like this pick. Should start WR 2 and imo could be eventual WR1. His pro day he got a 4.46 and 4.41 which is much better than combine. He appears to be most NFL ready and our strengthening coaches should pump him up. Now let's go get OLB/ILB/NT/and a safety.
Old 04-25-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

A++

My favorite for us. AJ, Jr.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2013   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You give an "A" for these reasons:

1.) Andre Johnson is getting older,

2.) Schaub is losing weapons AND needing that help ASAP (remember December? And the Patriots playoff game where James Casey dropped a sure TD right in his hands?).

3.) From what I've read leading up to the draft, Tavon Austin was going to be the first WR taken...no surprise he went early on in Round 1. Which means...

4.) Some team is going to start the run on the remaining WRs, and we did just that by selecting Hopkins.

Is he going to STAY an "A" grade? I dunno. Lots of people were high on Keyshawn Martin in camp, and in preseason, and he sort of clammed up in the reg season.

I gave it an "A."
Old 04-25-2013   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's who I was leaning toward .
Old 04-25-2013   #10
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

First time i've been pumped about a Texans 1st rounder since we took Cushing.
Old 04-25-2013   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
A+

They had their pick of the WR's and got the best of the group slated to go in round 1.
Felt bad for taking him in the TT Mock. New you would take him for the Texans but I like him alot. He is the only WR I wanted at 27 after I got Patterson out of my head.
Old 04-25-2013   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

B, though very close to an A. Glade a weapon was added.

Really glad it wasn't Teo
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted A because there wasn't an A++ choice. I'v been on his bandwagon for a while. First time my guy has been picked! Great choice and day 1 starter. Great call Rick!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Great friggin night! Draft falls for us to get our pick of the little WR,

And Jerruh made the night all that much better by reaching down into the 3rd round for their pick.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I give it a solid B. They filled a need and didn't take a lot of risk. They got a day one starter who should plug in and produce good numbers immediately. I don't see Hopkins as a Pro Bowler, that's what keeps me from giving an A.
Old 04-25-2013   #16
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Not super excited but a very solid pick, just not a game changer for me, but hey I felt the exact same way about Watt, two years ago. Based on that it is a homerun, I guess I just prefer more of a gamble in a first rounder, right or wrong.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go with a B. I think there were better choices at need positions, but I'm good with this pick. I hope he's a hard worker and ends up being the Texans best receiver ever. That would be one hell of an accomplishment.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

A+. We needed a wide receiver, and he is a great balance of potential and floor. I am excited to see this guy's career unfold.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm good with the pick. I wanted a WR if there were any good ones left at our spot and it turned out that we damn near had our pick of good ones. We chose one of the guys I thought would be a good fit so I'm happy.

Now it's time to see how the rest of the draft unfolds. The next three rounds are where we need to come through and find some immediate contributors.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 04-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I give it an A. It was the guy I wanted. I think he fits what we do on offense very well and has shown that he can beat NFL caliber corners. Good run after catch, strength to make the difficult catches over the middle or on poor throws. Look at the LSU, FSU, and NCState games. He can play now and contribute now, in my opinion.

I'm ecstatic!
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read