Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Draft Grades Round 4 - Trevardo Williams

How do you grade our fourth round selection?

• Total voters
B. I like the player (he will put up sacks), but he is a one-dimensional edge rusher.

I would have preferred to see an ILB or NT, but they must not be highly rated by the FO. Or it means that Reed is for sure moving to ILB.

I love the aggressiveness of this draft. These guys that we have taken ooze aggressiveness on film. Based on this draft id have to say that the texans have evolved in their evaluation process. These aren't just guys that have production. These aren't just guys with good numbers. These are guys that enjoy beasting their opponent. These are guys that are going to bring some attitude to the defense and offense.

I'm loving this draft.

Pre-combine Trevardo Williams article.

Basically, I am so amazingly STOKED we got Trevardo Williams. I've been watching his tape and this guy is a BEAST. He's so freaking fast, it's ridiculous.

He was the fastest DE in the 40 at the Combine at 4.57. And would have been one of the faster OLBs in the 40. He also had the 3rd best vertical jump for all the DEs and OLBs.

And he was coming off a bad ankle and he wasn't sure how he'd do.

I think we got a bit of a steal here.

I agree perhaps the most instant impact player we picked partially because his responsibilities will likely be a bit like Mark Anderson in his rookie year, ie get the qb.

Trevardo just needs to get a bit stronger in his upper body and to develop at least two good go-to moves. I'd like to see him learn to set Olinemen up better and use his speed even more to his advantage.

But I think he can instantly be of help to the team.

Dude had 30 reps .

There is playing strength, and then there is weight room strength. However, I do also disagree with Rey. I think Williams lack of strength is a lack of lower body/core strength. If he strengths his legs/butt/core, we should see him playing up to those 30 reps.

I do agree with Rey as it pertains to pass rush moves though. Williams has one move- speed. He got away with just being faster in college, it wont work as well in the NFL.

There is playing strength, and then there is weight room strength. However, I do also disagree with Rey. I think Williams lack of strength is a lack of lower body/core strength. If he strengths his legs/butt/core, we should see him playing up to those 30 reps.

I do agree with Rey as it pertains to pass rush moves though. Williams has one move- speed. He got away with just being faster in college, it wont work as well in the NFL.

All that's true but to me he's explosive hence the 38 inch vertical and the 30 reps . The magic number used to be if the bench , vertical , and broad jump added to 70 , then their an explosive athlete . He's at 78 , JJ Watt was 81 .

Dude had 30 reps .

Playing football is not like bench pressing. Look at him on film and you can see that at times he struggles to use his arms to get off of linemen. Sometimes they just engulf him.

Bench Pressing is a repetitive motion at a light weight. The muscles involved and their function are different when it comes to fighting off blocks in the trenches.

A guy can maybe be really strong, but not do as many reps on the bench press if he doesn't have good muscle endurance. 225 isn't really heavy.

I'm not saying you can be a weakling and throw it up a bunch of times, but the guy with the most raw strength doesn't always put up the most reps in the 225lb reps.

All that said, just look at him on film. You can see that at times when the OL get their hands on him he struggles to get away from them. If he had more playing strength in his upper body it'd help him. That's going to require a range of upper body workouts besides bench. You need all those muscles because of the different angles and distribution of weight you put on your arms fighting off blocks. It's not just the bench press motion.

However, I do also disagree with Rey. I think Williams lack of strength is a lack of lower body/core strength. If he strengths his legs/butt/core, we should see him playing up to those 30 reps.

Fighting off blocks has a lot more to do with your upper body and core strength than it does with lower body strength.

Holding your ground or moving guys backwards has more to do with your leg.

Have someone you know try to pass block you or latch on to you and you try to get pass them. You don't have to go full speed or anything..just walk...

See how much you use your arms trying to get free and the different motions you put your arms through. Fighting off blocks takes a lot of strength in your arms.

And the shorter your arms are, the more upper body strength you need to get people off of you.

I'd still be interested to see what he might be able to do inside next to Cush. Unless, of course, he comes in and looks really impressive as an OLB to Wade. Going by his measurable and the bits and pieces I've seen of him I'd rather see him inside than Reed

Fighting off blocks has a lot more to do with your upper body and core strength than it does with lower body strength.

Holding your ground or moving guys backwards has more to do with your leg.

Have someone you know try to pass block you or latch on to you and you try to get pass them. You don't have to go full speed or anything..just walk...

See how much you use your arms trying to get free and the different motions you put your arms through. Fighting off blocks takes a lot of strength in your arms.

And the shorter your arms are, the more upper body strength you need to get people off of you.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trevardo-williams?id=2539671

I'd still be interested to see what he might be able to do inside next to Cush. Unless, of course, he comes in and looks really impressive as an OLB to Wade. Going by his measurable and the bits and pieces I've seen of him I'd rather see him inside than Reed

Honestly, I'd rather have someone in the middle that's used to standing up and reading stuff in front of them. Someone that can shuffle, backpedal, flip their hips a little bit..flow one way then suddenly change directions....

I don't know if Williams can do that. Maybe he can, but he seems to be at his best on film when he knows the other team is passing them ball and he can just pin his ears back and go. I personally don't know if any of the OLBs we currently have would make really good ILB's other than maybe Braman.

He has a more athletic body type and he changes directions well which you can see with the way he plays special teams. He has the speed and fluidity that would be needed to move in space and cover the middle of the field or backs out of the backfield. Physically, I think he might be the best fit.

There's also a couple undrafted Free agents we have that I like. And of Course Dobbins. If I were the Texans, I'm starting Dobbins at ILB. Letting Sharpton back up...And then having Reed and Braman and one or two of the UDFA's ready just in case.

And I might sign a free agent that's currently out there if the price is right. Dansby would be a nice pick up.

Honestly, I'd rather have someone in the middle that's used to standing up and reading stuff in front of them. Someone that can shuffle, backpedal, flip their hips a little bit..flow one way then suddenly change directions....

I don't know if Williams can do that. Maybe he can, but he seems to be at his best on film when he knows the other team is passing them ball and he can just pin his ears back and go. I personally don't know if any of the OLBs we currently have would make really good ILB's other than maybe Braman.

He has a more athletic body type and he changes directions well which you can see with the way he plays special teams. He has the speed and fluidity that would be needed to move in space and cover the middle of the field or backs out of the backfield. Physically, I think he might be the best fit.

There's also a couple undrafted Free agents we have that I like. And of Course Dobbins. If I were the Texans, I'm starting Dobbins at ILB. Letting Sharpton back up...And then having Reed and Braman and one or two of the UDFA's ready just in case.

And I might sign a free agent that's currently out there if the price is right. Dansby would be a nice pick up.

Agree.

Trevardo looks great at just pinning his ears back and going. He needs to learn a lot and I think what you're perceiving as lack of strength is just lack of technique. I think he's a steal.

I don't see him inside, either.

If we could pick up Dansby... wow... that would solve a LOT of problems right there.

Agree.

Trevardo looks great at just pinning his ears back and going. He needs to learn a lot and I think what you're perceiving as lack of strength is just lack of technique. I think he's a steal.

I don't see him inside, either.

If we could pick up Dansby... wow... that would solve a LOT of problems right there.

Y'all are probably right. I'm just spit-ballin because I see the position as a huge need right now. We all saw how exposed our ILBs were towards the end of last season. Sure, we'll get Cush back but still be sorely lacking on the other side.

Dobbins is what he is, a run stuffer between the tackles. I have no faith whatsoever in Sharpton. So, if we're unable to lure in a Dansby type fill in....wait for it....I'd rather bring Brady James back. Ha, that shows how I feel about Dobbins and Sharpton.

I bagged on James a lot last season, but he ended up having to play a lot more than what he was supposed to. Maybe he could've ended up being ok next to Cush? Who knows, but Dobbins or Sharpton is not the answer imo

Y'all are probably right. I'm just spit-ballin because I see the position as a huge need right now. We all saw how exposed our ILBs were towards the end of last season. Sure, we'll get Cush back but still be sorely lacking on the other side.

Dobbins is what he is, a run stuffer between the tackles. I have no faith whatsoever in Sharpton. So, if we're unable to lure in a Dansby type fill in....wait for it....I'd rather bring Brady James back. Ha, that shows how I feel about Dobbins and Sharpton.

I bagged on James a lot last season, but he ended up having to play a lot more than what he was supposed to. Maybe he could've ended up being ok next to Cush? Who knows, but Dobbins or Sharpton is not the answer imo

Yeah, I have to agree, I don't think the Texans have the long term answer to the ILB position next to Cush right now. Dobbins is OK as a backup and Sharpton just can't seem to stay healthy.

As for Dansby, what kind of money do the Texans have to offer besides the vet minimum? He's 31 years old, but he's been a solid player for years and would be a good pickup. I just don't know if the Texans are even looking at him. They may be happy with the players they have right now and aren't looking for any other FA ILB's. My guess is they'll probably sign a FA for the minimum, or close to it, and they'll carry 4 ILB's on the roster. Next year though, they will definitely have to draft an ILB. Cush isn't getting any younger, and how much longer can they keep putting Dobbins or Sharpton out there.

Yeah, I have to agree, I don't think the Texans have the long term answer to the ILB position next to Cush right now. Dobbins is OK as a backup and Sharpton just can't seem to stay healthy.

As for Dansby, what kind of money do the Texans have to offer besides the vet minimum? He's 31 years old, but he's been a solid player for years and would be a good pickup. I just don't know if the Texans are even looking at him. They may be happy with the players they have right now and aren't looking for any other FA ILB's. My guess is they'll probably sign a FA for the minimum, or close to it, and they'll carry 4 ILB's on the roster. Next year though, they will definitely have to draft an ILB. Cush isn't getting any younger, and how much longer can they keep putting Dobbins or Sharpton out there.

I could see them using a 1st or 2nd in the draft next year to solve our ILB's problems.

This guy had Seattle written all over him. I am slightly surprised he was available when we selected in the 4th.

I'm starting to look into Williams a little bit.

Going over the competition he faced, there were a slew of OTs that were tanked in the 30s and 40s at their position. Those are pretty good college players, but not NFL caliber.

The one guy he faced that was drafted was Justin Pugh.
In that game; however, Wiliiams was pitted against Pugh just 8 or 9 times.
He stalled a run play on one occasion.
He was pretty much neutralized by Pugh on two pass rushes.
The other times, it was more or less a standstill with neither winning their personal matchup. If the play went this way, it wouldn't be guaranteed of much success.
There were a few times they lined up against each other when Trevardo was optioned.

Overall, Pugh won that match up slightly, but Williams wasn't overmatched.

He looks stronger than I thought he would be.
He can still benefit from building up more core strength though.
He can afford to lose a little of his quickness and speed.

I need to watch more of his tapes.

Also, I learned that he got injured (ankle sprain, I think) in the next to last game of the season and didn't play in the final game against the Bearcats.

I would have liked to see him play in that game against a Junior that is rated #6 (I think) at the OT position in the next draft class.

oK, so I have to go back to 2011 to find a match-up I want to watch.

It's the game against Iowa St. with the mammoth 6'6-347 LT Kemechi Osemele whom the Ravens took in the second round last year (I believe he started every game as a rookie.)

Here, mainly, I want to look for something positive as Osemele had a year on Wiliams.

There were a few.
They were pitted against each other maybe eleven times or so.
Williams won one with his quickness to make a stop for a yard loss on a run.
He won a couple more times, but the plays were away.
The rest of the time, he was handled rather effectively by Osemele.

Williams did much better against the rest.

He definitely needs to get stronger for the NFL, but I'm cautiously optimistic about his prospect.

Williams can be quite effective on stunts because of his quickness.
I think at least Wade can scheme him in as a situational pass rusher.

Finally, a quality win that I've been looking for.
This is another game in 2011; against the W.Va Mountaineers.

Williams was on the LT Don Barclay about 2/3 of the time.
This guy was a smaller guy, a tad under 310.
He was an UDFA for the Packers but ended up making the roster and started the last 4 games for them at OG.

Williams had a lot quality snaps against Barclay and won roughly 2/3 of the battles in some fashion, getting stronger and stronger in the second half.

He forced a QB hurry for an incompletion.
He then hurried a throw that Geno Smith barely completed for a short gain.
The Mountaineers is an uptempo spread offense with a lot of quick and short passes; it's not easy for a pass rusher to get to the QB.
And Geno Smith is a guy that is light on his feet who can get the ball off quickly with a compact delivery.
Here, a Blaine Gabbert would have been ducking and chucking, and perhaps got sacked even.

Williams then forced another incompletion.
Then he beat Barclay off the edge and chased Smith from behind for a sack.
If there was a strong push up the middle, the sack would have come even sooner.

On another play, he beat Barclay with his quickness to the inside to stop the runner for a minimal gain even though the play was up RG.

Three or four times, he pushed Barclay very near the QB.
If there were pressure from any other direction, it would have spelled trouble for Smith.

And Williams won some more minor battles.
Granted, Barclay was kicked inside at the NFL level, but it was a pretty impressive win for an underclassman against a Sr. with 3-yr starting experience.

I feel more positive about this pick now.

Grade B plus
A late fourth rounder for situational pass rush.
Could have earned an A grade if only he shows a little more strength at the POA.
This could hinder his upside to become a 3-down player; therefore, no A grade.

Back