Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2013   #1
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NT Concern...

I have to say that I am worried with what we are going into the season with as of now at the NT position. IMO Earl Mitchell and our 6th round pick, Chris Jones, are not going to be able to do too good of a job at stopping the run. At least we will have 2 big ILB if Brooks Reed moves inside. If I was Rick Smith I would have drafted Montori Hughes (NT Tennessee-Martin) instead of Sam Montgomery and then drafted Ty Powell (OLB Harding) in the 6th. Can't really see Montgomery doing it in coverage, hope I'm wrong.

On a side note I would have liked to see us pick up Keith Pough (ILB Howard) and Jasper Collins (WR Mount Union).

What do you guys think?
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #2
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Concern...

I believe that healthy and positive ILB play can hide a subpar NT. You cant have both however as evidenced by last year, we were soft up the middle in both respects. Cush will bring everything back to normal.

I am concerned that an ILB wasnt drafted, Brooks Reed moving to that position isnt an immediate fix IMO, he will still need time to acclimate.
Old 04-28-2013   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Big picture moment. I think no team is ever complete in this league and every unit will be constantly purged and replenished with new talent. How efficient we are at this will determine what type of organization we are. I think we are pretty much set at WR, OL, and secondary. As long as we stay healthy in the front 7 and we get the most out of our young guys we will be extremely tough to deal with from a defensive perspective.

We still need upgrades at NT, ILB, a replacement for A Smith, OLBs to step forward, a #1 TE and the next QB to lead this team.

But this team is built to win right now, and for the foreseeable future. Good times to be a Texans fan indeed.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #4
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

I trust Wade to alter his defense to better utilize the talent he has at the moment. with Jamison back in the fold we now have four solid 3-4 ends who are all capable of stuffing the run while Reed will offer a unique blitzing option from the inside to help cover our inside lineman.

With this secondary, the primary objective for this defense as a whole will be to force passing situations where Wade can send an onslaught of young pass rushers into the backfield. I seriously doubt he will overlook finding systems that use his players' strengths in order to stop the run on early downs and force third and longs. In other words, In Wade I Trust.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe my memory is just awful, but I don't remember being overly concerned last year with being punished up the middle in the run game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

NT and ILB remain the biggest concern for the team after the draft.
Old 04-28-2013   #7
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
I trust Wade to alter his defense to better utilize the talent he has at the moment.
True, but...
Quote:
...while Reed will offer a unique blitzing option from the inside to help cover our inside lineman.
Ideally, you want your NT to demand the C/OG double team. This opens up the blitz lane for the ILB. If either the C or OG can handle the NT one-on-one, this leaves the other to block on the ILB.

Both the Colts and the Titans drafted OG and C. We'll have to wait & see, but I don't see Mitchell and Jones being dominating - adequate, maybe, but Wade will have to perform his magic to cover this hole, again.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2013   #8
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Maybe my memory is just awful, but I don't remember being overly concerned last year with being punished up the middle in the run game.
During the regular season this is not so much a concern. It's when you get into the playoff, if you have a weakness it will be exploited. Our goal is to get to the SB and not get knocked out early, again.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #9
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It was bad. Especially after Cush went down.
Vance87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #10
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 4846 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried about NT at all. We allowed a grand total of 5 rushing touchdowns last year. We were also top 10 in both rush yards per game and yards per rush. And that was with Cushing down for more than half the season.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #11
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 25668 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
I'm not worried about NT at all. We allowed a grand total of 5 rushing touchdowns last year. We were also top 10 in both rush yards per game and yards per rush. And that was with Cushing down for more than half the season.
Numbers can be deceiving. Remember 2010 when the Texans had the worst defense in the league? Our rush defense wasn't bad, but that's because it was skewed. Why would teams run when they could just throw it around the whole time?
Old 04-28-2013   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

David Hunter still has 2 years on his contract and Terrell McClain is signed through 2013.

At least McClain was the #65 pick of the Panthers and Wade likes Hunter enough to activate him to the 53-man roster during the season.

Perhaps Wade saw something there that he likes.
And who knows, the Texans can still add a vet if they feel like it.
Maybe they'll bring back Cody at veteran minimum.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Ideally, you want your NT to demand the C/OG double team. This opens up the blitz lane for the ILB. If either the C or OG can handle the NT one-on-one, this leaves the other to block on the ILB.
Wade runs a one-gap system. His lineman do not sit and hold up blocks. They shoot gaps and penetrate. With this style they can disrupt the interior of the line and the LB's can clean up. Wade utilizes a lot of different blitzes to get his LB's in unblocked.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #14
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll sign a FA.

We can wait until teams cut someone.

I think Seymour may still be out there....
Old 04-28-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Wade runs a one-gap system. His lineman do not sit and hold up blocks. They shoot gaps and penetrate. With this style they can disrupt the interior of the line and the LB's can clean up. Wade utilizes a lot of different blitzes to get his LB's in unblocked.
It doesn't matter how Wade uses his NT; when the opponent decide to double-team or combo-block the NT, they still do it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #16
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm not worried about NT or ILB Those are the positions that come off the field or shift the most in wades defense anyway.
Old 04-28-2013   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

We add nothing but a six round pick to the trash we have now and only bring in one UFA. There has to be a plan to bring in a FA. Hampton, Seymour, someone is coming.

It won't do any good to have a pass rush if everyone can just run it down our throats all day. Not to me to mention how much it will wear down out ILB's if they don't have someone upfront to keep them clean.
Old 04-28-2013   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
It was bad. Especially after Cush went down.
Really? The defense finished in top 10 in both yards allowed and yards per rush. By that criteria, most of the league has a bad run defense.
Old 04-28-2013   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive heard they plan to move Crick inside ... The biggest question I have is depth at DE if they do.

Makes me wonder where they play Montgomery - DE or OLB.

Right now they have Watt , Ninja and Crick listed as DE's on the roster.

Only Mitchell & 6th round rookie Chris Jones at DT (outside of guy's coming back from injury or PS guy's)

Braman , Reed and Mercilus at OLB.

Trevardo Williams will most certianly be an OLB .... Montgomery on the other hand , I cant pin down their plans for. He's a little bigger and could probably play either spot.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Really? The defense finished in top 10 in both yards allowed and yards per rush. By that criteria, most of the league has a bad run defense.
#7 in both Ypg and Ypa.

The Pass defense was #1 in completion percentage #7 in Ypa and #17 in Ypg.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #20
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Like someone else said, teams started to pass the ball on us a great deal in the second half of the season, skewing our run defense stats. I just remember no-name RBs running right up the middle on us late in the season.
Vance87 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read