Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.57%
B 33 42.86%
C 14 18.18%
D 5 6.49%
F 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
This is exactly right. No idea why everyone keeps talking about the OLB pozish? To me this move is to spell the aging A. smith this year and groom him to be his long term replacement.
He's not going to replace Antonio Smith.
Old 05-02-2013   #62
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But for entirely different reasons.

Mario had questions about his motor because he disappeared from games and on tape.

Montgomery has questions because he said he didn't try as hard against weaker opponents because it was hard to get as excited but that he didn't expect that in the NFL. BUT... on tape and in games, Montgomery was a high-motor player. He does NOT disappear from games. He had at least one sack in almost every game he played in.

But the Mario comparison is interesting to me.

Physically, the guys aren't comparable, really. Mario is just so much bigger. Mario is just a freak.

But to my eye, at least, the way Montgomery moves reminds me of Mario.

Since Wade thought he could make a Will out of Mario and since Mario seemed to be thriving in his defense, I'll go along with the move of Montgomery to OLB. I don't think he'll be able to go SAM, though, if he has any coverage responsibilities. I think he'll be a monster if they let him run downhill.
I'm not really drawing a comparison between the players themselves as much as pointing out that a lot of people are posing pretty much the same questions about Montgomery as were asked about Mario, referring to him as strictly a DE, hand-in-the-dirt type of player who doesn't do well in space/coverage.
That's not what Wade really wants from that position, so I don't really get the point of questioning a players attributes that will rarely be required.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #63
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be curious as to why Kaiser Toro, painekiller, Tailgate, TEXANS84 gave a "D" rating.

I didn't give the Texans draft a much better grade at a "C", but a "D" grade intrigues me. Guys, give me your reasoning if you want.

Seriously, just curious because maybe I missed something.
Old 05-02-2013   #64
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is exactly right. No idea why everyone keeps talking about the OLB pozish? To me this move is to spell the aging A. smith this year and groom him to be his long term replacement.
Probably - at least in part -because of the following comments found on the team website:

Quote:
The Texans will use Montgomery (6-3, 262) as an outside linebacker. They plan to try him on the strongside first to potentially form a three-man rotation with starters Brooks Reed and Whitney Mercilus.
LINK
Old 05-02-2013   #65
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio smith is an interior player in this defense. Smith plays over the guard a bunch. That is not montgomery's game. Montgomery is an edge player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #66
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm not really drawing a comparison between the players themselves as much as pointing out that a lot of people are posing pretty much the same questions about Montgomery as were asked about Mario, referring to him as strictly a DE, hand-in-the-dirt type of player who doesn't do well in space/coverage.
That's not what Wade really wants from that position, so I don't really get the point of questioning a players attributes that will rarely be required.
Well, that's where the whole WILL vs. SAM conversation comes up.

From what I recall, Wade played Mario at the Will where he would have minimal coverage responsibilities and his main function would be to penetrate and disrupt. And I can see Montgomery fitting into that role like Mario.

But they're talking about trying Montgomery first at the SAM to see if he can read and cover and if he can't THEN moving him to WILL where he'll have limited reads and more of a penetrate and destroy function.

I'm just having a problem seeing this guy as a SAM, even though that's his name.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

They're Putting him at sam because he plays strong. He holds the point well and overall he's good against the run.

Brooks Reed didn't cover people coming out of college either...and honestly he's not some body that you want playing a bunch of coverage either. All these guys are converted DE's who primarily rushed the quayernack on passing downs.

You just want your strong side OLB to be decent enough to drop into zone...not get completely embarrased on the rate occasions you have to play man.

But while we're talking about Reed, i don't really think he's all that good. I think he's ok. I don't care for him at OLB because I don't think he's a good pass rusher from the edge. I don't really like him at MLB because I don't think he's fluid enough in coverage (which he'd be doing a lot more of) and I don't think he's a sideline to sideline guy. I don't think he brings a lot of value to that position on much else besides runs in between the tackles where he can use his strength and leverage to stuff the hole.

But I think he's an ok solb and he'd be a below average MLB.

Not a merciless fan either. He plays stiff IMO and he nor reed are good at getting off blocks.

I honestly think they drafted two olb's because they realized that their edge players were sub par. Reed and merciless need to show major improvement this year or I'd rotate some other guys in there. We can't have such pathetic pressure from the edges again this season.

I'm looking for both of the rookies we drafted to be involved in the pas rush this year because frankly I don't think the incumbents will do enough in passing situations to keep them off the field.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2013   #68
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's not going to replace Antonio Smith.
Where else is he going to play then? He is not built to play in space where Reed is and the other option is WOLB, which is where our 2012 1st round pick is currently.

Look at the man. He is 6'6 260, his measurables are not that far off from Smith. Just watching him he looks like he is a monster that will only get more bulk and gutt as opposed to an athletic freak. I just see him with his hand in the dirt type of player. Im sure Wade has something up his sleeve, and it will be interesting to see it play out.

After watching more film, I regret giving him a D. More knee jerk, but still a C because I just dont see his fit yet for this D. I hope he becomes a stud for us.

But conversely I really love the Williams pick. He brings that speed we need off the edge.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #69
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I honestly think they drafted two olb's because they realized that their edge players were sub par. Reed and merciless need to show major improvement this year or I'd rotate some other guys in there. We can't have such pathetic pressure from the edges again this season.

I'm looking for both of the rookies we drafted to be involved in the pas rush this year because frankly I don't think the incumbents will do enough in passing situations to keep them off the field.
I think you're completely correct. I was thinking of the SAM jamming the TE and then taking him into coverage and Montgomery's not going to be good at that... but I think I was wrong.

Montgomery will easily be able to handle the POA on the strongside. He would be a beast in that sort of situation and, like you said, much better than Reed is at it.

And while watching Williams, I kept thinking that he looked like he'd be better at Will than Reed or Mercilus ever have.
Old 05-02-2013   #70
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where else is he going to play then? He is not built to play in space where Reed is and the other option is WOLB, which is where our 2012 1st round pick is currently.

Look at the man. He is 6'6 260, his measurables are not that far off from Smith. Just watching him he looks like he is a monster that will only get more bulk and gutt as opposed to an athletic freak. I just see him with his hand in the dirt type of player. Im sure Wade has something up his sleeve, and it will be interesting to see it play out.

After watching more film, I regret giving him a D. More knee jerk, but still a C because I just dont see his fit yet for this D. I hope he becomes a stud for us.

But conversely I really love the Williams pick. He brings that speed we need off the edge.
He's not 6'6 .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=DE

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #71
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yea, just caught that. My bad 6'3. Smith 6'4
Old 05-02-2013   #72
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea, just caught that. My bad 6'3. Smith 6'4
He has a good 10 yard split .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #73
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
He does? I thought it was average. He was slower than Reed, Mercilus, Barwin, and T Williams.
Old 05-03-2013   #74
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think he is going to have an issue with coverage within ten yards, very good short area quickness, but he lumbers like Williams after 15 yards.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #75
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've watch a bunch of games and there is no way he can cover anybody. He looks exactly like Mario Williams in space. Has bad poor change of direction skills.

It will be interesting to see what type of player he turns into now that he's putting in effort to change his body.

First thing they need to work on is his ability to fire off the ball. He's so slow coming off the snap.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #76
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I've watch a bunch of games and there is no way he can cover anybody. He looks exactly like Mario Williams in space. Has bad poor change of direction skills.

It will be interesting to see what type of player he turns into now that he's putting in effort to change his body.

First thing they need to work on is his ability to fire off the ball. He's so slow coming off the snap.
First off, remember that LSU had a mush-rush philosophy where the linemen aren't supposed to penetrate quickly as much as read and react.

But also, if they're putting him over the TE, his job is going to be to knock the snot out of the TE to disrupt any timing patterns, and then read whether to tackle the RB or go after the QB.

There's no way this guy can cover people. He doesn't have the agility. But he is a work-hard and get to the QB kind of guy and I think that's what Wade and Reggie want from him.

The speed will be Trevardo/Mercilus coming off the weak side pushing the QB toward Montgomery/Reed or up into the pocket toward Smith/Watt. Coverage will be handled by the ILBs and the Safeties.

At least, that's my understanding.
Old 05-03-2013   #77
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off, remember that LSU had a mush-rush philosophy where the linemen aren't supposed to penetrate quickly as much as read and react.

But also, if they're putting him over the TE, his job is going to be to knock the snot out of the TE to disrupt any timing patterns, and then read whether to tackle the RB or go after the QB.

There's no way this guy can cover people. He doesn't have the agility. But he is a work-hard and get to the QB kind of guy and I think that's what Wade and Reggie want from him.

The speed will be Trevardo/Mercilus coming off the weak side pushing the QB toward Montgomery/Reed or up into the pocket toward Smith/Watt. Coverage will be handled by the ILBs and the Safeties.

At least, that's my understanding.
He is consistently the last one off the ball. He's disruptive off the edge due to his strength. To me his best position will be LDE or end in a one gap 3-4.
Old 05-03-2013   #78
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think yall are over complicating montgomery's role on the defense. he's basically replacing barwin. his main role will be to anchor the edge in our base personnel at SOLB and provide a heavier skillset at DE in our nickel packages to help prevent some of the weakness we had last season. he's not going to kick inside and replace smith, he's adding beef outside opposite the more singular pass rushers mercilus and williams while still able to collapse the pocket and get to the quarterback. he'll at most be asked to shadow runningbacks in coverage, but even that's unlikely unless we start losing ILB's again.
Old 05-03-2013   #79
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Well, that's where the whole WILL vs. SAM conversation comes up.

From what I recall, Wade played Mario at the Will where he would have minimal coverage responsibilities and his main function would be to penetrate and disrupt. And I can see Montgomery fitting into that role like Mario.

But they're talking about trying Montgomery first at the SAM to see if he can read and cover and if he can't THEN moving him to WILL where he'll have limited reads and more of a penetrate and destroy function.

I'm just having a problem seeing this guy as a SAM, even though that's his name.
I fully agree. I see him at Will when all is said and done.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #80
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I fully agree. I see him at Will when all is said and done.
If all he can be is a WOLB then he will be a huge disappointment. He's not a natural pass rusher and lack athleticism. That's why the coaching staff wants him to be a SOLB first. He would be worse then Connor Barwin in terms of pass rush if he was on the weak side.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read