Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the second selection of the third round?
A 22 28.57%
B 33 42.86%
C 14 18.18%
D 5 6.49%
F 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Would rather have him after he fails the first time in the NFL. Hopefully this does not become a "project" to nurture, cut him immediately if dumb flares up again.

Talented, but introducing apathy into a locker room with questionable leadership is not a recipe for success.
Old 04-27-2013   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
In the end it is a bit of a gamble. But when you have the chance to grab a first round talent at the end of round 3 and are convinced you can correct his problems, I am ok with this pick.
This thought almost makes the choice palatable to me. Almost. I do hope he works out and my negative feelings are proven incorrect.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This thought almost makes the choice palatable to me. Almost. I do hope he works out and my negative feelings are proven incorrect.
The Texans can't get to the next level without taking chances and hitting on some . They did the exact opposite of Jerry Jones .

The guy is different .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWuUHqSLs30

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post

In the end it is a bit of a gamble. But when you have the chance to grab a first round talent at the end of round 3 and are convinced you can correct his problems, I am ok with this pick.
From the little bit I've read, it appears the comments he made about taking plays off is what got him kicked off other teams boards. However, none of the scouting reports I've seen mentioned taking plays off, or a lack of motor.

Hopefully this is a case of people putting too much stock in the words people use, & not enough in production.

As far as the other observations... tight hips & concerns in space, if this guy is who he looks like, he'll be asked to cover someone 3 to 6 times a season...
Old 04-27-2013   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
From the little bit I've read, it appears the comments he made about taking plays off is what got him kicked off other teams boards. However, none of the scouting reports I've seen mentioned taking plays off, or a lack of motor.

Hopefully this is a case of people putting too much stock in the words people use, & not enough in production.

As far as the other observations... tight hips & concerns in space, if this guy is who he looks like, he'll be asked to cover someone 3 to 6 times a season...
I'd rather have a talented guy to learn from JJ , Ninja , Cushing , Reed , and Dobbins than another try hard guy from Colorado State .

Round Dan
Old 04-27-2013   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you can just throw out this whole BPA BS now. teams draft for need & Texans needed a run stopper @ LOLB. also think Texans should have taken Brandon Williams with 1st pick of 3rd rd. then Brennan Williams 2nd pick. Montgomery would most likely still be available in 4th. reason why I gave them only a C

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you can just throw out this whole BPA BS now. teams draft for need & Texans needed a run stopper @ LOLB. also think Texans should have taken Brandon Williams with 1st pick of 3rd rd. then Brennan Williams 2nd pick. Montgomery would most likely still be available in 4th. reason why I gave them only a C
Yep ... I'm hoping / guessing they know more than I do because I wanted a NG also .

Round Dan
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2013   #28
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I respectfully disagree BL. Montgomery has borderline 1st talent, and I would be very surprised had Montgomery been available in the 4th. Hell, I was surprised he was there in the third. There had also been a run of OLBs taken (Moore, Moore, and Lemonier went in the 3rd before Montgomery, and Gooden went after), so the FO took a guy they had highly rated.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The trick to this guy is getting him to "want to". What I took from his comments was that he had a harder time getting up for the lesser opponents which is a common issue but players don't usually admit to it. He seems to grasp the idea that in the NFL there are no real lesser opponents so I think he'll be fine.
Old 04-27-2013   #30
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he'll be fine, good locker room, putting anyone near Cushing and Watt who thinks taking plays off won't last long.

I love his on the field motor though and looks like the team will have options far as Reed moving inside if they want or don't take an ILB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the pick, this guy has explosion and with the right scheme and coaching, he can be an elite edge rusher in this league. Cant see why everyones down on this pick.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just judging from what I see on film I see a guy that plays strong and is aware. Sets the edge well and looks like a good enough pass rusher for the strong side. I'm excited about him and trevardo Williams because our olb's did not excite me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #33
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

With his history of a torn ACL it was a complete waste of a valuable draft pick.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
With his history of a torn ACL it was a complete waste of a valuable draft pick.
That was 2010.

This isn't 1960, anymore. People can come back from ACL issues now.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should the Texans go ahead and cut Brian Cushing? He has had a torn ACL, you know.
Old 04-30-2013   #36
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Should the Texans go ahead and cut Brian Cushing? He has had a torn ACL, you know.
Absolutely. Trade him if possible, or cut him and spend the money elsewhere. If I remember right, Clay Matthews was available when Cush was drafted. Cush had a college history of being injury prone, and has been sidelined by injuries time after time since then, culminating in the big one from which he'll never fully recover.
In the future, don't ignore injury history of prospects.

Last edited by Seegara; 04-30-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Absolutely. Trade him if possible, or cut him and spend the money elsewhere. If I remember right, Bruce Matthews was available when Cush was drafted. Cush had a college history of being injury prone, and has been sidelined by injuries time after time since then, culminating in the big one from which he'll never fully recover.
Old 04-30-2013   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Absolutely. Trade him if possible, or cut him and spend the money elsewhere. If I remember right, Bruce Matthews was available when Cush was drafted. Cush had a college history of being injury prone, and has been sidelined by injuries time after time since then, culminating in the big one from which he'll never fully recover.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #39
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
L....O.....L

I've read some whacked out comments around here, but this one takes the cake.

We should give it it's own thread. Another "Cockroach" type thread
Old 04-30-2013   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Gotta spread the rep

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read