Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2013   #81
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Lloyd as a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyler View Post
Idk our cap situation but Lloyd still being a free agent he would most likely take less money for a one year contract. We have Johnson and now Hopkins but If we added Lloyd we would have one of the best offenses next year. I been waiting to hear it happen but is there a reason why it hasn't? It would be a huge pickup and I think could lead to a Championship.
Wrong section next time post in NFL section. As far as Lloyd he has been debated here quite offen. Texans will bring in a vet WR or two before training camp and see who sticks. Lloyd may be out of HOU price range,
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #82
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
from the article...

I think this is another case of drafting replacements. Hopkins was drafted to replace Walter and may eventually replace A.J. Swearinger may eventually replace Ed Reed. I feel that Montgomery will be groomed to replace Ninja.
I think you're right but you're wrong. I think Montgomery replaces Barwin.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #83
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
Is Sam Montgomery better than Alex Okafor?
I'm holding out hope that we still get Okafor, too.
Old 04-27-2013   #84
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some see him more as prototypical 4-3 DE.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #85
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the main problems Montgomery is gonna have as a Texan is finding another jersey number. JJ MEGAWATT isn't coming off of that #99!

Other than that I think it could end up being a great pick but as always we'll all have to wait a while to see.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think you're right but you're wrong. I think Montgomery replaces Barwin.
Nah. I think Herring is throwing us a red herring.

He says they're going to put Montgomery at OLB and see what happens, but I think he belongs as a bookend to JJ Watt. Antonio Smith disappeared in December, he was part of the problem with the death spiral we had across the board. A lot of fans will argue it, because of his popularity and persona, but he has to play a bigger GAME CHANGING ROLE than he has. He's getting tackles, he's getting pressures, but every year that ticks off is a year closer to his retirement. That's why Montgomery makes sense.

So, sure, Montgomery starts out at OLB...but he will be the successor to the Antonio Smith throne. I don't know what savings we could get from cutting Smith now, or cutting him next season, but if that frees up cap space...the Texans have no problem moving onward from Antonio Smith, and Montgomery--to me, from what I see--is a DL guy, not an OLB. Yes, we've used a bigger guy (Barwin) as an OLB, but I think Antonio's age, cap situation, and lack of consistency has urged the Texans to draft his successor. They cut Eric Winston, they can cut Antonio Smith too if they want to.

To not make waves with a veteran like Antonio Smith, who runs his mouth like crazy, you will say things such as "Montgomery will be an OLB," when you know full well that those plans are just that: Plans.

The more a coach talks about how he's going to use the new rookie, the more I tend to slough it off as coach speak. Wade said he was going to get Mercilus on the field in unique ways, and I don't think they did it to the extent they should have. Hopefully the lackluster 2012 performance will spur Wade and Herring And Joseph to let Montgomery and Swearinger see the field as much as possible. If they get hurt, they get hurt...you draft more next year. If they don't pan out, you want to know NOW...so that you can draft it again the next year.

I like the picks of Hopkins and Montgomery and Swearinger, but I am iffy on whether this team can utilize them like top draft picks should be utilized. Look, you drafted them in the highest tier of the draft, so USE THEM! Please.
Old 04-27-2013   #87
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

This is a great pick! Mongo is first round talent. Yea he admitted taking off plays and games, but he is very honest and kinda a different personality. You can't blame him taking off games against towson and Idaho, he had a bad knee injury and why get hurt in a meaningless game.

In big games he showed up big time! 2 sacks against bama one in OT that sealed te game in 2011

2 sacks against south Carolina this year

Sack this year against bama

Sack in the sec champion game against Georgia

In the peach bowl this year, he crawled on the ground to sack taj Boyd. On a 3rd down that shouldve won the game if Eric Reid wouldn't have taken another bad angle on the 4th down.

Needless to say he is very emotional and determined when he is playing.

Hes a very high character guy, he is big into sonic the hedgehog because that was his brothers favorite game that passed away
Old 04-27-2013   #88
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The controversial Combine quote:

In a conference call with Houston media, Montgomery said his best quality is his relentlessness -- contradicting the idea that he didn’t give his all against teams like North Texas, Idaho and Towson.
Idaho is a powerhouse, you just can't let up for a moment agaisnt those monsters of the Northern Rockies.
OK, but I'm still trying to figure out what this guy did or even said that's so controversial ? He's a bit of a joker with an off-of-the-wall sense of humor, but beyond that what's the problem ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #89
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

RB- Lattimore, Franklin

WR-Rogers, Patton, Swope

They may not be needs but the value is high.

oops wrong thread
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #90
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133377 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

His physical makeup reminds me of Mario. Seems to have more fire based on the videos I've seen though.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not to mention he won't be asked to play every down. When he does get his chances I'm sure he'll be going balls to the wall.
I think the biggest difference between now & 2006, is that we are positioned to do something special... win a championship.

Ballers want to be part of that. A big part. If he's a baller, we'll find out. If not... we'll find that out as well.

What I like about this draft, so far, is that we don't need Montgomery to be a baller. We need either Montgomery, Mercilus, Trevardo, Brahman, or Brooks to be a baller. & they'll all get their chance.
Old 04-27-2013   #92
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely seeing us sign a vet but he's too pricey.
Old 04-27-2013   #93
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LSU coach comments on Sam....

This worries me when one of your coaches goes out of his way to put you on blast to the NFL. Hopefully he matures.

htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #94
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LSU coach comments on Sam....

Well, Montgomery is OUR guy now. So I'm going to wait and see, but I have a feeling this will be nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mario Williams and David Carr were workout and training camp warriors, and when it came to Sundays they were not exactly all that dominating of their opponents.

I have seen Montgomery's highlights, and he has a high motor. If THAT is taking plays off, then I'll take his brand of effort.
Old 04-27-2013   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
This worries me when one of your coaches goes out of his way to put you on blast to the NFL. Hopefully he matures.

He already has.

He missed a workout. The strength coach put that up. And then he didn't miss any workouts from then on.
Old 04-27-2013   #96
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as he doesn't go all Roycewhite on us....

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #97
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Got to look at the bright side. At least he has never been arrested for anything and he has never been suspended from LSU for any thing.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #98
TexansCountry
Rookie

Section: anywhere i can get tickets
Rep Power: 0 TexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansCountry is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No I bleed burnt orange. There were a lot of games I watched oka for just take over. I really wanted him
Old 04-27-2013   #99
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Got to look at the bright side. At least he has never been arrested for anything and he has never been suspended from LSU for any thing.
...and given the history LSU has with guys that get into trouble, that's saying something.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #100
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read stuff on this kid both good and bad, so for the time being I'm just going to be watchful of him. My misgivings about him don't seem to go away though. Maybe the other players and our coaches can turn him away from the Dark Side.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read