Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 28.75%
B 31 38.75%
C 9 11.25%
D 2 2.50%
F 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Grade B
Still a bit raw but looks to have the athleticism to improve.
A bit concern about both his knees.
A late third round Olineman in the ZBS, IMO, should become a fairly solid starter.
Williams may or may not achieve that result.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If he plays guard I'd give it an A.

As a tackle, I give him a B simply because he's going to have more work to do in order to become a starter IMO.

He looks very athletic, but his pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired and I don't want him out there getting Matt killed. Gonna need to get a lot more comfortable out there and he's going to need a whole lot of technique work.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If he plays guard I'd give it an A.

As a tackle, I give him a B simply because he's going to have more work to do in order to become a starter IMO.

He looks very athletic, but his pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired and I don't want him out there getting Matt killed. Gonna need to get a lot more comfortable out there and he's going to need a whole lot of technique work.
I know we've already agreed on Williams.
I don't mind him moving inside either, but right now the Texans probably want to find out which guy may work out at RT.
Old 05-15-2013   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I mocked him long time ago and he will become a monster. Love his long arms and eventually he could move to LT if needed. IMO, he and Q will replace 2 of three Mondek, Gardner and Harris. Williams will put a hurting on some of his opponents. Agree with 65 that he needs technique improvement but most rookies do. Hopefully Newton and Harris will maintain allowing him time.
Old 05-25-2013   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Scout's Take: Maccagnan on T Brennan Williams

Quote:
Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan

“He had sort of an unusual season in the sense that he came into the season coming off a spring surgery, so when he first started the season, he was still rounding into shape, we kind of felt. Then, he played quite well. When you went back and watched 2011 tape on him from the previous season, I thought he played extremely well in 2011. Later in the (2012) season, he actually injured his shoulder, so he ended up getting surgery on his shoulder and then missing the remainder of the season. Sometimes, when kids have (those) sort of circumstances, they may slide a little bit in the draft, and we kind of felt that’s what happened with him to a degree. So we sort of felt good that at the end of the third round, a player of his caliber was still available. He’s obviously fine from a medical standpoint, did everything for his workout in the spring, and he (came) into mini-camp and done a nice job for us right out of the gate. From an ability standpoint, he’s a prototypical guy in terms of size and stature. He is a good athlete for the position. I think he probably has the ability to play left tackle. He may be better suited on the right side.
CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

With it being the left shoulder that was operated on, I'd be more hesitant to put it under maximum stresses with end around pass blocking (most common reason for a tackle to suffer this type of injury.......arm being pushed backwards while it is extended/abducted) at this point in the left tackle position. At least for now, I would want to see him at right tackle where the right shoulder receives most of the game-time action.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Scout's Take: Maccagnan on T Brennan Williams

CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

With it being the left shoulder that was operated on, I'd be more hesitant to put it under maximum stresses with end around pass blocking (most common reason for a tackle to suffer this type of injury.......arm being pushed backwards while it is extended/abducted) at this point in the left tackle position. At least for now, I would want to see him at right tackle where the right shoulder receives most of the game-time action.
Well, he plays RT in college.
I think we expect the Texans draft him and Quessenberry to compete with Newton and Harris for the RT job.
Old 05-25-2013   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think we expect the Texans draft him and Quessenberry to compete with Newton and Harris for the RT job.
I agree with you. What I was getting at is, because of the side comment in the article about LT, that I don't believe at this point in time it would be wise to try to use him in any way as a swing (even occasionally at left).

ADDED: This may have been posted somewhere in the past. But here's a link to some video play of Williams in college as well as a separate interview which was interesting to listen to............showing that he was actively instilled with a mean trained killer instinct in his senior year.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/4/16/...n-williams-unc
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If the powers that be are smart, they won't wait until they need a LT to get someone who could play LT in a pinch. If we're going to get to the SuperBowl, we're going to need a great plan A, and a pretty good plan B.
Old 05-25-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If the powers that be are smart, they won't wait until they need a LT to get someone who could play LT in a pinch. If we're going to get to the SuperBowl, we're going to need a great plan A, and a pretty good plan B.
I think mostly it is due to Newton's injury and Harris' age.
Harris also has a history with injury that might recur (if I remember correctly.)

If both Williams and Quessenberry can stand upright, one of them might see some work at LT.
There's also Brandon Brooks who the Texans said they might try out at OT.

I don't think anything is written in stone yet.
Old 05-25-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ya think??
Old 05-26-2013   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
I think mostly it is due to Newton's injury and Harris' age.
Harris also has a history with injury that might recur (if I remember correctly.)

If both Williams and Quessenberry can stand upright, one of them might see some work at LT.
There's also Brandon Brooks who the Texans said they might try out at OT.

Quote:
Ya think??

After watching the RT/RG rotational experiment/mess from last year, I don't even want to think about what type of creative carousel we would see if G-d forbid (and no, I'm not predicting it) Duane Brown turfs for any significant period of time, and adds yet another question mark on the OL.
Old 05-26-2013   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 , 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/draft...203726121.html
Draft guru Bob McGinn has these interesting and certainly not particularly positive remarks from one scout in his pre-Draft analysis of Williams.
All I can say is, guess we shall see ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 , 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
Draft guru Bob McGinn has these interesting and certainly not particularly positive remarks from one scout in his pre-Draft analysis of Williams.
High risk / high reward guy .

What I don't get is they say he's nasty on the field , it's just getting him there .
Old 05-26-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
After watching the RT/RG rotational experiment/mess from last year, I don't even want to think about what type of creative carousel we would see if G-d forbid (and no, I'm not predicting it) Duane Brown turfs for any significant period of time, and adds yet another question mark on the OL.
Obviously, when you lose a good player, it's not easy to replace.
You do need a plan.

The Pats worked last year with a make-shift O-line.
It didn't stop them from as advancing far.

The Texans had two guys that were swing tackles: Harris and Newton.
Before Newton, there was Butler who was the swing tackle.
Newton was groomed on both sides.
Harris started at Notre Dame at RT as a Freshman, then was moved to LT the last 3 years.
He played RT in the Pros.

Myers played C in college, but he debuted at LG for the Broncos before moving back to C when Nalen was lost for the year.

Wade Smith had seen time at all 5 spots on the line in the NFL.
Some guys are more flexible than others.

Duane Brown actually struggled a bit playing all the snaps early on in his rookie season. It wasn't until the Texans rotate him with Salaam that they had better results.

The O-line play last year was a combination of things.
D Brown played well early on in pass pro. At one time (at least through 10 or 11 games), it was reported that he allowed a single sack.
He ended up with six.
The run game actually was terrible to left end early in the season.
I mentioned how Football Outsiders charted the Texans, and they averaged 1.9 ypc to left end.
Wade Smith was consistently inconsistent like the rest of them.
He was manhandled by Wilfork just the same as Ben Jones was.
Myers did not have a good year.

The right side of the line was inconsistent all year, but not any more than the other 3 spots.
Who knows, if Caldwell and Newton had been able to stay healthy, the right side could have been the bright spot.

Now, the Texans need to find along term solution at RT first since Harris can be the swing man; it's not like they don't have a plan B.

Newton, Williams, and Quessenberry, between those three, we need to find out which guy can be the long-term starter at RT.
Old 05-26-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
After watching the RT/RG rotational experiment/mess from last year...
Kubiak mentioned before, that the rotation isn't about the players not being good enough, it's more about consistency. These young players lose track of what the team is trying to accomplish. Maybe it becomes about the guy in front of him, trying to win one on one battles. Maybe it becomes about himself, worried about screwing up on that last play, worried about getting his ass handed to him on the play before. Maybe he's worried about his friends watching him on TV, or his third cousin on his momma's side who sold the ticket he gave him.

It wasn't about finding out what works, it was more about protecting the player (his mental preparation) they are developing for the spot. Same thing we did with Duane Brown, Mike Briesel, Kareem Jackson, and still working through with Brandon Harris & our WRs.
Old 05-26-2013   #36
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
He likes anime comics. So what. Every player has odd things that they do.

Ben Jones eats grass and roaches.

This above post is obviously directed at the guy from the article.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #37
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I give the pick anywhere from an "A" to an "F"....

Being coy aside, I find it ludicrous to place a draft grade on any pick until the player being discussed actually plays a down in the NFL...... or not.

People hated "the reach" that Duane Brown was but OTOH some were excited about the Benny Joppru pick... Go figure.
Old 05-28-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Being coy aside, I find it ludicrous to place a draft grade on any pick until the player being discussed actually plays a down in the NFL...... or not.
Old 05-28-2013   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

People hated "the reach" that Duane Brown was but OTOH some were excited about the Benny Joppru pick... Go figure.
Your right its ludicrous for those who don't know ****. Brennan has an injury history that followed him to Houston & your also right who knows how that all works out, which is probably why they moved up to grab another OT. Gee go figure.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #40
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You want to know what I find ludicrous? People going into a thread titled "Draft Grade" and bitching about people grading drafts. Nobody is making you vote, TB. Nobody is making you click on the thread, TB. Nobody is making you read the thread, TB. If you don't want to participate in the thread, don't participate. It's pretty ****ing simple.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read