Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round- Brennan Willliams

From my pick 3 weeks ago had him #95, thought Texans would go Brandon Williams @ 89 but Ravens traded up to take him #88. Wonder if they were concerned Houston wanted him?

BADBOY's early April mock:
3B OT Brennan Williams 6'6" 318 this future star from NC is right on track with his recovery. Some will say I'm reaching but I want him. He's going to be that good. Unlike some tackles, he can play OG and may start RG 2014 unless Brooks forces Smith to the bench & Brandon is RG even sooner than I expect. Williams will be a very good RT and with a bit of coaching could play left.
Old 04-27-2013   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279 View Post
610 says he suffered a torn labrum last October. Anyone know how this could affect him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Should be fine as long as he stays away from the doctor who worked on Tony Boselli's shoulder.
That's for sure.

Looks like the Texans rolled the dice on another one though. Keep in mind that major labrum injuries are much more serious and potentially debilitative than rotator cuff injuries (which are no picnic themselves). He had labrum surgery the very end of October last year. If there would have been a more minor tear still requiring surgery, there would have been a scope clean up and he should have been more than ready for the Combine. He evidently wasn't. With surgery for a major tear, it is not unusual that 6-8 months (sometimes up to 12 months) is necessary for rehab alone. Rehab for such an injury is a very difficult and painful course for any of you that may have gone through it, especially for someone who uses their hands/arms to fend off large obstructive moving objects. Fortunately, not many players are ruined by this surgery as was Boselli. But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #23
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33092 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 ˝, 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 ˝ sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/draft...203726121.html
I didn't know Royce White was also drafted by a 2nd pro sports teams in Houston ? So anyway, lets hope Williams is just a colorful, "quirky" personality and not a problem child and a wasted pick by the Texans like White appears to be for the Rockets.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #24
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 ˝, 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 ˝ sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/draft...203726121.html
I didn't know Royce White was also drafted by a 2nd pro sports teams in Houston ? So anyway, lets hope Williams is just a colorful, "quirky" personality and not a problem child and a wasted pick by the Texans like White appears to be for the Rockets.
Actually that sounds a lot like Arian Foster...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #25
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.
I can deal with a 5% to 15% risk factor if he's talented enough.

Apparently, the injury was the result of a minor tear that wasn't allowed enough time to heal.

Quote:
North Carolina starting offensive tackle Brennan Williams will miss the remainder of his senior season after surgery Thursday to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, team spokesman Kevin Best announced. Williams hasn't played at 100% for much of the season and further injured his shoulder in the fourth quarter against Duke last Saturday.
Link.

My main concern is how he first tore it, so we can know if there's a risk of reoccurrence.

He currently claims that the injury is fully healed, and he's almost finished with strength rehab. Here he also comments on his father as a motivating factor.

Quote:
(on if he is completely healed from his labrum surgery) “Everything is completely healed; it’s just about getting all the strength back and which is just about done.”

(on the important of following in his father’s footsteps) “It was extremely important. It was an expectation that we always had to make it to this level. I’m truly blessed to be where I am today but now it’s time for me to carve out my own footsteps.”
Link.

Here is an interview with him during his early days with NC. He speaks quite intelligently, and talks about creating a line identity that is mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lShKA_hyq3U

The more I learn about this pick, the more I like him. He was ranked in the high 2nd round by NFLdraftscouts.com. He definitely has the physical ability to succeed (when scouts speak of his "wide base," they aren't kidding), but his football heritage and his intelligence make him a realistic prospect as a long term starter. He will hit the ground running as a zone blocker, and from his interviews, he is conscientious of the value of leadership. I predict he will be taking the starting role sooner than later, and will eventually become a fan favorite.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I need to look at him more. Saw some clips of him pass blocking and I didn't like what I saw.

I was thinking that he could be a LG prospect because he does look like he plays with strength and he looks like he'd be a good run blocker. I like Quessenberry as a pass blocker more and thought he'd be a better RT fit. But we'll see....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That's for sure.

Looks like the Texans rolled the dice on another one though. Keep in mind that major labrum injuries are much more serious and potentially debilitative than rotator cuff injuries (which are no picnic themselves). He had labrum surgery the very end of October last year. If there would have been a more minor tear still requiring surgery, there would have been a scope clean up and he should have been more than ready for the Combine. He evidently wasn't. With surgery for a major tear, it is not unusual that 6-8 months (sometimes up to 12 months) is necessary for rehab alone. Rehab for such an injury is a very difficult and painful course for any of you that may have gone through it, especially for someone who uses their hands/arms to fend off large obstructive moving objects. Fortunately, not many players are ruined by this surgery as was Boselli. But, unfortunately, there are enough that don't fully come back from this surgery (5-15%) to make it a concern. We'll just have to wait and see.
With this in mind, do you think he'll be participating in OTAs next month? Or we won't see him till minicamp?
Old 04-28-2013   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
With this in mind, do you think he'll be participating in OTAs next month? Or we won't see him till minicamp?
Since OTAs are noncontact and minicamp is almost the same, my guess is that there would be no reason keeping him from basically going through the motions in both venues. The real test will be in TC.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #29
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this pick and the Quessenberry pick. I'm thinking they both go through OTA's and minicamp, but I really hope the Texans take it easy on Williams shoulder and let it fully heal so that he goes through this only 1 time and there aren't recurring shoulder issues. I'd like to see him start next season on the PUP list, if there's any doubt as to his healing and ability, so that he can come back in midseason if needed but also allowing him lots of time to heal. With Ryan Harris on the roster backing up Newton there's no reason for Williams to rush back from surgery. I see our O-line at Brown, Smith, Myers, Brooks, and Newton, with Jones, Harris, Gardner and Quessesberry being the primary backups and Williams on PUP depending on his injury status. Harris and Gardner could both be on the bubble depending on how these guys perform in TC.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I need to look at him more. Saw some clips of him pass blocking and I didn't like what I saw.

I was thinking that he could be a LG prospect because he does look like he plays with strength and he looks like he'd be a good run blocker. I like Quessenberry as a pass blocker more and thought he'd be a better RT fit. But we'll see....
This was my first impression as well. Also I think he has some flaws in technique that forces him to lunge and reach at times.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
This was my first impression as well. Also I think he has some flaws in technique that forces him to lunge and reach at times.
Yep...He lunges and doesn't have good balance...doesn't move his feet all that well either...

Maybe the Texans are planning on coaching him up, but I'd rather they try him at guard because I think he could instantly be a good player there wheras at Tackle he's going to need some work....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yep...He lunges and doesn't have good balance...doesn't move his feet all that well either...

Maybe the Texans are planning on coaching him up, but I'd rather they try him at guard because I think he could instantly be a good player there wheras at Tackle he's going to need some work....
I think he's a project anyway.
All the little details in technique may take many more reps than people may think.
I wonder if we're gonna see Brandon at OT in camp as a possibility that Kubiak mentioned last year (I read it as the coaches wanted to leave Brandon Brooks at OG in his rookie season, but may give him a look-see at OT in his second season.)
That will give them a chance to try the two young guys at OG.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read