Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2014   #201
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2nd round DJ Swearinger

Anybody on this thread wanna chat about Swearinger??!!
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #202
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Who?
Old 04-25-2014   #203
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Na, that's gotta be a thread with a different title.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #204
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm off topic here (my bad) but wanted to answer this...sure. It's called having an opinion. He has every right to get better, stay the same or get worse. The opinion is altered once new evidence is presented. That's why we make these forums....for our "judgments/opinions" about players, coaches, teams or strategies. We could always just run with what ESPN tells us though.

ESPN is talking about Hopkins?

I didn't say no one should have an opinion, I was just saying it is stupid to try and knock on a WR that has been in the league for 1 year
Old 04-25-2014   #205
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Dustin Keller is going to try to make it back, after having his knee obliterated by Swearinger in last preseason.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #206
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Na, that's gotta be a thread with a different title.
Lol
Old 07-31-2014   #207
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Came across what I found interesting from PFF.
Quote:
Sig Stats: Run Stop Percentage, DBs
Gordon McGuinness | July 30, 2014

Safeties (All Plays) – The Top Five

There are two ways in which we look at safeties and we’ll start with all plays regardless of where they line up on the field. In this regard, it’s the Houston Texans’ D.J. Swearinger leading the way but, like Porter at cornerback, he saw his overall grade against the run take a big hit with eight missed tackles. That’s something that can be improved upon, though, and if it does we could see an impressive second season from him.
link

Swearinger will have to pick up his coverage and tackling skills (too many critical missed tackles after the catch), though, if he is to become a well-balanced safety factor.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2014   #208
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
link

Swearinger will have to pick up his coverage and tackling skills (too many critical missed tackles after the catch), though, if he is to become a well-balanced safety factor.
Well I hope he becomes a great player, because outside of him and Hopkins last year's draft is looking like a complete wash.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #209
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be a bit critical of DJ and hope he does get better, but last season he wasn't much more than a box safety. A Roy Williams type
Old 07-31-2014   #210
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I might be a bit critical of DJ and hope he does get better, but last season he wasn't much more than a box safety. A Roy Williams type
If what we hear about this system is correct (true FS and SS) this system should play more to his strenghths.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #211
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
link

No offense CnD, but looking at the kind of criticism you've assessed on Swearinger, I get the feeling people forget he was a rookie. Like they expected him to be Ed Reed (the HOF Ed Reed) from day 1, when Ed Reed wasn't that good from day 1.

Yes Swag has a lot to improve on but from listening to him talk, he's well aware of it & he's working in that direction.
Old 07-31-2014   #212
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No offense CnD, but looking at the kind of criticism you've assessed on Swearinger, I get the feeling people forget he was a rookie. Like they expected him to be Ed Reed (the HOF Ed Reed) from day 1, when Ed Reed wasn't that good from day 1.

Yes Swag has a lot to improve on but from listening to him talk, he's well aware of it & he's working in that direction.
And he has completely bought into what this staff is selling. O brien calling him out to be a leader publically says a ton IMO
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #213
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
And he has completely bought into what this staff is selling. O brien calling him out to be a leader publically says a ton IMO
QFT.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #214
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I have no idea how you got the idea I directed harsh criticism towards Swearinger. I simply pointed out what he would need to work on to be the safety he, the team and fans want him to be.

He was placed close to the box by Wade a great deal of the time after Cushing went down to try and plug the run stop sieve. As teams are showing more and more shotgun, it will not be surprising to me to see what we seen in college.....a lot of the 3 safety formations.

As a side note, on some of those whiffed tackles he actually did emulate the 2013 version of HOF Ed Reed.
Old 07-31-2014   #215
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...As a side note, on some of those whiffed tackles he actually did emulate the 2013 version of HOF Ed Reed.
Touché
Old 07-31-2014   #216
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a swearinger fan. A big swearinger fan. He and Hopkins were easily my two favorite picks from their draft. Followed by griffin and jones.

Some of those other guys had potential, iiwii right now.

Swagg needs to become a better tackler. More under control. Take the big shots, but be true.

Coverage....that's another area. But I think he's pretty fundamental, but he needs to just refine it.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #217
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

People keep talking about the ineptitude of Brandon Harris, and rightfully so, but swag boy has been nearly as bad. In the first drive alone, he gave up huge plays to let the Cards convert first downs. It's not even that he was beat, he was horribly beaten or completely lost. On one play, he completely turned around in what appeared to be short zone coverage and the ball was promptly placed where it appeared he was supposed to be. It's not a good deal when your inside cover guys are consistently beat and I am concerned that we are in for a lot of that this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #218
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
People keep talking about the ineptitude of Brandon Harris, and rightfully so, but swag boy has been nearly as bad. In the first drive alone, he gave up huge plays to let the Cards concert first downs. It's not even that he was beat, he was horribly beaten or completely lost. It's not a good deal when your inside cover guys are consistently beat and I am concerned that we are in for a lot of that this year.
I believe one of his knocks out of college was being over aggressive this misreading plays
Old 08-12-2014   #219
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101400 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Swearinger is still my guy.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #220
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Swearinger is still my guy.
I was happy about the potential, but watching him is damn hard. He needs to pull a complete 180 here in the next few weeks or we are really in for some hurt. I'm already convinced that Harris is going to be consistently beat in the slot.

Quote:
I believe one of his knocks out of college was being over aggressive this misreading plays
And that honestly would be one thing, where he bites on a fake or goes for the INT when in zone but misses. Turning your back to the QB in what appeared to be short zone is just terrible play.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read