Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 220932 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com 2015 Bold predictions from Dave Dameshek

Reckless Shekulation on Chip Kelly, Marcus Mariota, much more

Quote:
The Texans will be one of the four best teams in the AFC.

No, this isn't based on the triumphant emergence of Jadeveon Clowney (which isn't to say he won't deliver on all that potential as soon as this autumn). Even without last year's first overall pick, Houston's defense is terrific -- and will be improved by the addition of safety Rahim Moore and (to a lesser extent) Vince Wilfork. Arian Foster's in a bemusing category where even some "experts" fail to recognize him as one of the league's best, most complete RBs. The fact is, though, when Foster's healthy, the Texans win. A lot. DeAndre Hopkins was the team's best receiver even before Andre Johnson was shown the door. And now the team has its quarterback. Yeah, my glass is half-full on Ryan Mallett, but he's a first-round talent who slipped because of his naughty behavior as a student-athlete. And after four training camps learning at the knee of Tom Brady, I'm guessing he's ready to flourish. Then again, maybe Brian Hoyer (who has some experience competing with talented-but-troubled younger QBs) will win the job. Either way, the only thing that'll keep Bill O'Brien and his growing collection of ex-Patriot players and coaches from a home playoff game is the bad Luck of being in the same division as the Colts.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 402463 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com 2015 Bold predictions from Dave Dameshek

So he's saying we should at least get a wild card berth if not win the division.
Did EllisUnit write this piece?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 415894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think we need to start preparing ourselves for what we will see in the preseason.

It won't be pretty. We're going to see OB installing building blocks. Unless Arian, Hop, or one of the skilled players break off a big play, we'll have trouble moving the ball down the field & scoring.

We must remember that the goal is to assess the status of the building blocks we'll use to implement game plans. Since this system is not yet mature here, there will be mistakes made, by the QB, the TEs, the receivers, everyone.

our third team, with Tom Savage may look better than our fist & second because they'll just be playing street ball. A little better than 7 on 7 where the goal isn't so much the building blocks, but about show casing athleticism.

We'll most likely lose the preseason 0-4, but the important thing is that the building blocks are put in place before week 1. We'll know how well they did by how well they play week 1.

If we look like three monkeys in a corner with a football, but pull off a heck of a comeback in the fourth qtr, then something is wrong & we're starting behind the 8 ball.

But yes, if we see a true multiple game planning offense, we could easily be among the four best teams in the league.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 247916 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we need to start preparing ourselves for what we will see in the preseason.
Too early in the offseason for that... we don't even have the team built yet
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35803 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I like our chances to go 11-5 in 2015 but it still comes down to hard work and staying healthy. I like the makeup of the team and we still have the upcoming draft to improve. We went 9-7 last year and could have won that overtime loss at Dallas and we took the Colts down to the wire in both games. Even after spotting them a big lead in the first quarter at home.
Bulls on Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35803 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Too early in the offseason for that... we don't even have the team built yet
The main pieces are in place. I'm sure we'll add a dynamic wide receiver and playmaker with our first-round pick and a potential starting outside linebacker to replace Brooks Reed in the second round. But in the other rounds we can add some depth. I expect no more than two immediate starters in this draft if the team stays relatively healthy going into 2015. This is a pretty good team the Texans have right now. I'm not seeing this rebuilding crap that some of the national media are projecting. This NFL.com article that was posted was the first good article I've read in a long time. The Texans deserve some respect.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 402463 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It won't be pretty. We're going to see OB installing building blocks. Unless Arian, Hop, or one of the skilled players break off a big play, we'll have trouble moving the ball down the field & scoring.

We must remember that the goal is to assess the status of the building blocks we'll use to implement game plans. Since this system is not yet mature here, there will be mistakes made, by the QB, the TEs, the receivers, everyone.

our third team, with Tom Savage may look better than our fist & second because they'll just be playing street ball. A little better than 7 on 7 where the goal isn't so much the building blocks, but about show casing athleticism.

We'll most likely lose the preseason 0-4, but the important thing is that the building blocks are put in place before week 1. We'll know how well they did by how well they play week 1.

If we look like three monkeys in a corner with a football, but pull off a heck of a comeback in the fourth qtr, then something is wrong & we're starting behind the 8 ball.

But yes, if we see a true multiple game planning offense, we could easily be among the four best teams in the league.
No concerns about the O-line? I have some. The middle of our O-line is a worry in that we still have no starting center (unless you believe in Ben Jones). We don't know if Su'a Filo or Brooks will step up their games or whether we'll see contract year Newton or 2013 Newton.
Sponsored links
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No concerns about the O-line? I have some. The middle of our O-line is a worry in that we still have no starting center (unless you believe in Ben Jones). We don't know if Su'a Filo or Brooks will step up their games or whether we'll see contract year Newton or 2013 Newton.
I'm sure we'll add O-Line depth and maybe future starters as early as the third round. I just want Duane Brown to stay healthy and dominate from Week 1 on. If he does that we'll be fine. We'll find somebody who steps up at center. Having a beast like Vince Wilfork on the other side will toughen them up during practices. Funny how he threw Ben Jones around like a rag doll from some earlier highlights I was watching in a previous Texans versus Patriots game. I guess Chris Myers was injured that game. We'll find a decent replacement for him. I wouldn't worry too much,
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 247916 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
The main pieces are in place. I'm sure we'll add a dynamic wide receiver and playmaker with our first-round pick and a potential starting outside linebacker to replace Brooks Reed in the second round. But in the other rounds we can add some depth. I expect no more than two immediate starters in this draft if the team stays relatively healthy going into 2015. This is a pretty good team the Texans have right now. I'm not seeing this rebuilding crap that some of the national media are projecting. This NFL.com article that was posted was the first good article I've read in a long time. The Texans deserve some respect.
Quote:
I'm sure we'll add O-Line depth and maybe future starters as early as the third round. I just want Duane Brown to stay healthy and dominate from Week 1 on. If he does that we'll be fine. We'll find somebody who steps up at center. Having a beast like Vince Wilfork on the other side will toughen them up during practices. Funny how he threw Ben Jones around like a rag doll from some earlier highlights I was watching in a previous Texans versus Patriots game. I guess Chris Myers was injured that game. We'll find a decent replacement for him. I wouldn't worry too much,
You're awfully sure that we're gonna add a lot of dynamic players in the draft and they'll be great. Last year doesn't give a lot of hope for that.

I'm hoping it all pans out and we fill our holes and add some quality depth, aiming high but being realistic that the moon ain't gonna shine special on NRG. But drink some more koolaid and keep fantasizing until reality bites you in the ass
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 125885 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
MSR. Valid points on all.

Max Planck, 1936
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

I figured we're do for an immediate and impactful 2015 draft class. Especially our first two rounds. I expect our first and second-round picks in the upcoming draft, likely a wide receiver and outside linebacker, to start Week 1 as rookies. I also have hope that we'll see much more contributions from our 2014 draft class moving forward. Rick Smith isn't an idiot. He knows he has to hit some home runs in this 2015 draft. He knows the fans are running out of patience with a lot of his misses over the years.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I figured we're do for an immediate and impactful 2015 draft class. Especially our first two rounds. I expect our first and second-round picks in the upcoming draft, likely a wide receiver and outside linebacker, to start Week 1 as rookies. I also have hope that we'll see much more contributions from our 2014 draft class moving forward. Rick Smith isn't an idiot. He knows he has to hit some home runs in this 2015 draft. He knows the fans are running out of patience with a lot of his misses over the years.
Wants to, needs to, has to ain't the same as can
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 415894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been high on Ben Jones since his first start as a rookie.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I like our chances to go 11-5 in 2015 but it still comes down to hard work and staying healthy.
Isn't it funny that is always the case with us, not nearly the case for other teams?

To an extent, sure there are limits. But injury is the way of the NFL & all teams must deal with it. But some teams can lose their LT & still manage to win 11 games. Or their starting RB, or star TE. ..

Remember when we had a particularly unhealthy season, but still made the playoffs? We kept saying next man up & what not, but what happened to those guys the next year or the year after that?

Health is one thing, sure... but there is something else.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 125885 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I figured we're do for an immediate and impactful 2015 draft class. Especially our first two rounds. I expect our first and second-round picks in the upcoming draft, likely a wide receiver and outside linebacker, to start Week 1 as rookies. I also have hope that we'll see much more contributions from our 2014 draft class moving forward. Rick Smith isn't an idiot. He knows he has to hit some home runs in this 2015 draft. He knows the fans are running out of patience with a lot of his misses ]over the years.
Ellis Jr. No disrespect, but this is just wishful thinking. Just straight up

Max Planck, 1936
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Isn't it funny that is always the case with us, not nearly the case for other teams?

To an extent, sure there are limits. But injury is the way of the NFL & all teams must deal with it. But some teams can lose their LT & still manage to win 11 games. Or their starting RB, or star TE. ..

Remember when we had a particularly unhealthy season, but still made the playoffs? We kept saying next man up & what not, but what happened to those guys the next year or the year after that?

Health is one thing, sure... but there is something else.

No one else has the Astrodome next door...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I've been high on Ben Jones since his first start as a rookie.
Wasn't that start at OG? We have little data on how he'll do calling the protections at center.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Wasn't that start at OG? We have little data on how he'll do calling the protections at center.
That would be of more concern if Kubiak were still here. But OB prefers that his QB calls protection.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 112256 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You're awfully sure that we're gonna add a lot of dynamic players in the draft and they'll be great. Last year doesn't give a lot of hope for that.
This is the preseason, and therefore this comment is inappropriate. Of course the Texans will choose four first-game starters in the draft, and each will be an impact player. Two will be going to the Pro Bowl.

You should save this comment until about game four of the season. You can add it to the Of course everyone knows it takes a rookie a year to adjust to the NFL/it is unfair to judge the draft class until 2018 thread.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27751 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Dameshek argued with me on Twitter that Rodgers should win mvp over Watt just because Justin Houston had more sacks. I take him with a huge grain of salt now anyway.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read