Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2013   #81
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I don't care if he can catch everything...how's his blocking?
Supposed to be best blocking WR in draft. That's why we got him as 2nd WR drafted, rather than him being drafted after Patterson.
Old 05-11-2013   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Rookie #2 WR, rookie QB, expansion team, offense which could charitably be called asthmatic, 121 less completions than last year's Texans - 41 rec. 483 yds.

WR's taken in the bottom half of the 1st round of the last 5 drafts averaged: 44.6 receptions, 597.25 yds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No we can't because I don't care about your individual analysis on how WR X had three OLmen whose names contained the letter Q.

Funny when the standard refrain is the league is rapidly becoming more pass happy so the last five years should be most reflective of what to expect.

Naw, we're good. You need the time to watch film on each of our 27 UDFA's plus our draft picks for the fourth time. Don't let me distract from that.
Please reread your own posts.
I took the five years from yours.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #83
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this guy gets worked into the system effectively this season. I see nothing but positive reports about him and Kubiak seems capable of making role players out of anyone with 4 limbs across from Andre.

I think the pick also eventually strengthens the effectiveness of our 3-5 WR positions on the depth chart which excites me. Posey, recovery permitting, can be a great slot player for a long time, Martin & Jean both seem like players who they can get as much as they need out of.

Of course it leaves another year of a now aging OD as our second receiver, and Garrett Graham is also capable of taking plenty of early reads as well.

So, in 2013 i'm not expecting anything too flashy on the stat sheet, maybe around 500 yards or so and around 5 TD's perhaps. In 2014 onwards though, I really think we can expect to see some serious production out of this group of receivers away from AJ.

Of course the improvement we need to see from the Oline will be a huge key, they seem to have got very young on the line again save for 3 starters, and in recent years we've seen them turn Oliners into what they need pretty efficiently. That will be huge to Schaub's ability to get the ball where it needs to be and make the most of the talent around him.

More importantly, I like the direction they took in this draft, getting high level players to come in and learn from two future HOFers approaching their twilight years in AJ and Ed Reed.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #84
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How does Bonner look in comparison to how Posey and Martin looked in last yrs mini-camp?
Kubiak had nice things to say about him as far as doing good things after the catch, and doing stuff with his returns.

By my eyes, I do not see anything that particularly distinguishes him from the rest of the WRs this year.

As for compared to the WRs last year? Maybe the same.

He's well put together, runs decent routes. Nothing bad, nothing that stood out as exceptional like Hopkins.

As far as camp sorts of stuff, this is as excited as I've been for a player since seeing JJ Watt lineup day 1 as a starter and look like one of the best guys on the field.

Only Hopkins worry is that he seems to be fairly fearless. Diving for stuff. Getting defensive players on top of him (and the coaches yelling at the defenders). I don't want him hurt. He is too fun to watch.

So in some, I try to guard against camp hyperbole in general, and tend not to buy into stuff my eyes can't confirm because some camp talk is almost like trying to motivate guys. But boy howdy, believe the hype with Hopkins.

I don't know what stat numbers are going to happen given that if the defense is playing good, they tend to do operation shutdown of the offense in the second half of games, but he looks like a contributor, someone who can scare opposing defenses.
Old 05-13-2013   #85
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

B/W what i saw in college, combine, and the little bit that's been reported from mini camp....i've got NUK for at least 800 and 8 tds....any takers?
Old 05-14-2013   #86
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
B/W what i saw in college, combine, and the little bit that's been reported from mini camp....i've got NUK for at least 800 and 8 tds....any takers?
So he's gonna score more than dre? I doubt it, but I can se 35 rec 550 yds 4td
Old 05-14-2013   #87
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Maybe 45 rec 650 yds 4 tds
Old 05-14-2013   #88
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Hopkins is taking over Walter's position, I looked back at production from Kdub over the last three seasons.

Kdub averaged:
43.66 receptions
537.66 yards
12.33 Avg
3.3 TDs

I think Hopkins can easily match 43 catches in the same postion and will have a better yardage average as well.

I'll go with:
44 receptions
587 yards
13.33 Avg
4 TDs
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #89
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

On NFL AM this morning, they were discussing rookie WRs they expected to be productive this year. Kriegle said he expected Aaron Dobson to have a big year with New England; the other guy (don't remember which one) said he expected Hopkins to have a big year with the Texans.

I'm working so I don't have time to back it up to see who said it or exactly what they said. Should show up on YouTube or NFL.com soon, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This statement prompted a question I'd like to pose to the gang here: Suppose Hopkins performs up to and beyond K.W. level (on one of his better years) and at the time of Posey's time to return - say game 6 or 8 or whenever - and has 35-40 catches for 5 or 6 TDs and is making those move the chains catches we expect from the #2. Question is this: What role does Posey play in this scenario? I mean, A.J., O.D., and Foster are gonna be targeted and now Hopkins is sucking up what's left and making the most of them. Where does that leave Posey?
A very legitimate question imo. AJ had a very good season and another reason why MS looked for him over the other guys including OD. Posey had SIX receptions (5 in last three games) in 11 games but was ramping up play when injured. I think it is quite possible he could have ended with 12-15 if not injured.

I think how we are playing including record will impact # of receptions AJ gets. Like Foster, I would love to be able to allow AJ some plays off during the season. Jumped on some teams early and makes some moves in fourth quarter for the other WRs. Same with TEs.
Old 05-14-2013   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's just a rookie, so I'm guessing 121 receptions, 1,846 yards and 17 TDs
Old 05-14-2013   #92
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I can see 8 for Hopkins & here is why. He should catch some teams by surprise with a few and like Dreesen who had 8 TDs IIRC, Hopkins should get a couple if not more in Red Zone. It is possible.
Old 05-14-2013   #93
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can see 8 for Hopkins & here is why. He should catch some teams by surprise with a few and like Dreesen who had 8 TDs IIRC, Hopkins should get a couple if not more in Red Zone. It is possible.
Yeah.

I won't be surprised by a high TD number for him because of the coverage being shifted over to AJ.

I don't recall if I've said this before but AJ could have a big year. If Hopkins starts performing, we could see defenses trying to get too exotic with the coverages and screwing some stuff up leaving AJ wide open.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #94
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He's just a rookie, so I'm guessing 121 receptions, 1,846 yards and 17 TDs
Really?

Only a 15.2 yard average per catch?

Could have got that in the 2nd round.
Old 05-15-2013   #95
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A very legitimate question imo. AJ had a very good season and another reason why MS looked for him over the other guys including OD. Posey had SIX receptions (5 in last three games) in 11 games but was ramping up play when injured. I think it is quite possible he could have ended with 12-15 if not injured.

I think how we are playing including record will impact # of receptions AJ gets. Like Foster, I would love to be able to allow AJ some plays off during the season. Jumped on some teams early and makes some moves in fourth quarter for the other WRs. Same with TEs.
Posey had all six of his catches the final four weeks of the season but was injured late in the Patriots playoff game. He wasn't going to catch over five passes in less than a quarter of football.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #96
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dreessen had 6 TD's in 2011, that's the most in his career for one season. He had 5 last year with Peyton throwing to him.

Since Kubiak has gotten here I don't think any WR has ever had double digit TD's (TE's either) receiving. As pointed out earlier that's just not how the Texans roll when it comes to the red zone, they are more than happy to let Foster/Tate/3rd RB goes here get the TD's from rushing. And if there is a receiving TD to be had for the Texans, it's almost a sure bet that it's going to a TE on a playaction pass before it goes to Andre, DeAndre, or any other WR. We use our wideouts to gain large chunks of yards in between the 20's.

My expectations for Hopkins is going to be about 40 - 50 catches with around 700 yards, but few TD's (say 3).
Old 05-15-2013   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
As pointed out earlier that's just not how the Texans roll when it comes to the red zone.

We use our wideouts to gain large chunks of yards in between the 20's.
I hope the addition of a true #2 loosens coverage a bit, allowing us to score more often from 30+

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read