Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253428 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Starts
Doesn't do to many stupid rookie mistakes
Takes some pressure off AJ
Solidifies his position as #2

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Between 25-30 catches, 325-390 yards, 4 TD's and starts the season off behind Martin on the depth chart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's also been compared to Roddy White. In Roddy White's rookie year he got 29 catches for 446 yards and 3 TDs.

BUT.

You've got to look at the context. Roddy White was on a run-first Mike Vick squad that threw for about 2400 yards total and where Alge Crumpler led all receivers with 65 receptions and 877 yards.

With Reggie Wayne, he was the 3rd option behind Marvin Harrison who had 109 catches and 1524 yards and Marcus Pollard who had 47 catches and 739 yards.

So... yeah. You're right. That's a better way to look at it.

So, I'll revise my estimate down to about 35 catches for 525 yards and 5 TDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I expect a good season where he get's eased into the game slowly, 30-35 catches and 350-400 yds.

If your LeStar Jean you just saw your job get put in serious jeopardy.
Ok, so I projected low 30s for Hopkins to TPN's projection of 35, and he thinks I might a little bitter because the Texans drafted him?
LOL!

Furthermore, my projection calls for a healthy squad (AJ, OD, Graham, Foster) along with Jean and Martin showing a normal progression.
It also called for Posey to play 8 games at least at last year level.
If he can't make it back then the Texans need to sign a veteran to take his place.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What I didn't expand is that I also expect the defense to get back to the level of play that the general fan base hope for.
I expect the ST play to improve with Lechler, more consistency in the return game (fewer mistakes, not necessarily more yardage), better coverage due to more speed with the younger guys.
I also expect a better run game with Jones in the fold and improvement on the right side of the line.
All this (and no OT game) add up to Schaub not having to pass the ball as much as he did in the early years.
Old 05-11-2013   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say 45 catches for around 575 yards and 5 TDs.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ok, so I projected low 30s for Hopkins to TPN's projection of 35, and he thinks I might a little bitter because the Texans drafted him?
LOL!

Furthermore, my projection calls for a healthy squad (AJ, OD, Graham, Foster) along with Jean and Martin showing a normal progression.
If he can't make it back then the Texans need to sign a veteran to take his place.
This statement prompted a question I'd like to pose to the gang here: Suppose Hopkins performs up to and beyond K.W. level (on one of his better years) and at the time of Posey's time to return - say game 6 or 8 or whenever - and has 35-40 catches for 5 or 6 TDs and is making those move the chains catches we expect from the #2. Question is this: What role does Posey play in this scenario? I mean, A.J., O.D., and Foster are gonna be targeted and now Hopkins is sucking up what's left and making the most of them. Where does that leave Posey?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is the normal progression for 3rd year players who caught 6 balls on 12 targets and 2nd year players who caught 10 balls on 27 targets?

Quote:
Man that would be awesome. 8 games at last year's level. I am sure those 4 receptions will cut deeply into the production of Hopkins and the other receiving options.
Old 05-11-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This statement prompted a question I'd like to pose to the gang here: Suppose Hopkins performs up to and beyond K.W. level (on one of his better years) and at the time of Posey's time to return - say game 6 or 8 or whenever - and has 35-40 catches for 5 or 6 TDs and is making those move the chains catches we expect from the #2. Question is this: What role does Posey play in this scenario? I mean, A.J., O.D., and Foster are gonna be targeted and now Hopkins is sucking up what's left and making the most of them. Where does that leave Posey?
A good team needs several receivers for depth.

What the Texans had last year was an anomaly.
(The #3, 4, 5 receivers only combined for 22 catches, I believe).

That has never happened before.

I went through the whole league, and the lowest total next to the Texans were 38 or something like that.
The norm for the league is closer to 70.
There are teams with total in the 80s.
There are two teams in the 90 (98 and 97 I think.)
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2013   #28
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Where does that leave Posey?
As the fourth or fifth WR and that's not a bad thing. Would you rather go into the season waiting on Posey to take over the #2 spot when he only caught four passes last year?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What is the normal progression for 3rd year players who caught 6 balls on 12 targets and 2nd year players who caught 10 balls on 27 targets?

Man that would be awesome. 8 games at last year's level. I am sure those 4 receptions will cut deeply into the production of Hopkins and the other receiving options.
It's inconceivable to isolate a couple of things to make an argument.
You might want to consider all the points together.

Also, as I just stated in an above post, last year was an exception for the Texans (or any NFL team).

You might want to know that Posey only saw real actions in 4 games (perhaps 3-1/2, not even 4), and that his play continued into the play-offs.
You are allowed to put them together to make a projection.
Old 05-11-2013   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
As the fourth or fifth WR and that's not a bad thing. Would you rather go into the season waiting on Posey to take over the #2 spot when he only caught four passes last year?
It is very likely that Posey doesn't play a snap in 2013. He won't be ready for training camp which means the only way he gets back is being placed on the PUP list. I don't see Smith and Kubiak making that move.
Old 05-11-2013   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It is very likely that Posey doesn't play a snap in 2013. He won't be ready for training camp which means the only way he gets back is being placed on the PUP list. I don't see Smith and Kubiak making that move.
Why do you not see them making that move, and what move do you see them making? IR? If so, what's the advantage to that (compared to PUP)?
Old 05-11-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The situation for Posey is still up in the air.
In February, he twitted that he doesn't expect to miss any game time.
Kubiak seems to indicat that he won't be back until mid-season sometimes.
So we don't really know what to expect there.
Old 05-11-2013   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's inconceivable to isolate a couple of things to make an argument.
You might want to consider all the points together.

Also, as I just stated in an above post, last year was an exception for the Texans (or any NFL team).

You might want to know that Posey only saw real actions in 4 games (perhaps 3-1/2, not even 4), and that his play continued into the play-offs.
You are allowed to put them together to make a projection.
So you answered nothing and presented an incoherent and inaccurate argument. I addressed all the "points" other than if Posey doesn't come back get a vet.

You aren't helping yourself with "Posey only saw real action in 4 games..." because all that means is HIS IMPACT LAST YEAR WAS ZILCH so getting back to last year means zilch.

Cool, you have staked out a ridiculous projection and will make any argument to self-verify it.
Old 05-11-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The interesting part about receiver production comes when I took a look at the Packers.

They also run a version of the WCO.
They have a FB and 4 TEs on the roster (they all contributed in the passing game).

They attempted 2 fewer passes than the Texans.
Yet, their #3-6 combined for 98 catches.
Old 05-11-2013   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why do you not see them making that move, and what move do you see them making? IR? If so, what's the advantage to that (compared to PUP)?
First, a roster spot on the initial 53 would be taken by Posey. Leaving someone available on waivers. Second, Posey is a young player and would not be able to practice with the team until after the 6th week of the season. He won't be ready to contribute. Finally, I don't see the Texans taking the risk until Posey goes through another offseason where he can get completely healthy. If this were a seasoned vet, it would be different. No advantage in bringing Posey back earlier than 2014.
Old 05-11-2013   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So you answered nothing and presented an incoherent and inaccurate argument. I addressed all the "points" other than if Posey doesn't come back get a vet.

You aren't helping yourself with "Posey only saw real action in 4 games..." because all that means is HIS IMPACT LAST YEAR WAS ZILCH so getting back to last year means zilch.

Cool, you have staked out a ridiculous projection and will make any argument to self-verify it.
Posey's play last year needs to include the play-offs; I thought I made that clear.
Old 05-11-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First, a roster spot on the initial 53 would be taken by Posey. Leaving someone available on waivers. Second, Posey is a young player and would not be able to practice with the team until after the 6th week of the season. He won't be ready to contribute. Finally, I don't see the Texans taking the risk until Posey goes through another offseason where he can get completely healthy. If this were a seasoned vet, it would be different. No advantage in bringing Posey back earlier than 2014.
I prefer that they sign a vet.
We do have the cap room.

As I looked at it this morning, after signing all the rookies, the Texans should have some $1.6-$1.7M left.

When they leave Posey off the team and sign a vet, they should have the additional $$$ to bring the amount up to at least $2.1M
Old 05-11-2013   #38
Lucky

Quote:
They attempted 2 fewer passes than the Texans.
Yet, their #3-6 combined for 98 catches.
The Packers attempted 4 more passes than the Texans (558 - 554).
Old 05-11-2013   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Posey's play last year needs to include the play-offs; I thought I made that clear.
What you made clear is you latch on to absurd arguments. Posey wasn't targeted a single time in the 1st playoff game and was 3 of 5 in the 2nd. One game isn't an argument for a projection.

But let's roll with your ridiculous 3.5 plus the playoffs argument, in 8 games "if he plays to last year" that projects to 13 receptions on 28 targets.
Old 05-11-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Packers attempted 4 more passes than the Texans (558 - 554).
You're correct.

Also, as a note, their top two combined for 144 catches.
They just didn't pass the ball much to their RBs; the main difference that I noticed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read