Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2013   #101
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The first benefit if picking Hopkins is that he is bust proof. I keep reading that Hunter and Patterson have the most upside, but they have risks. Hopkins has almost no negatives. Then you look at his wingspan, hands, physicality, and big play ability, it's apparent that he has just as much upside as any receiver in this draft. Excellent pick.
I can't remember where I read this, but I recall reading that Patterson is literally too dumb to run routes.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #102
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The first benefit if picking Hopkins is that he is bust proof. I keep reading that Hunter and Patterson have the most upside, but they have risks. Hopkins has almost no negatives. Then you look at his wingspan, hands, physicality, and big play ability, it's apparent that he has just as much upside as any receiver in this draft. Excellent pick.
The only real negatives are that he is not a burner, and he is not very explosive. However, he does a good job using his body to box out though , and has excellent body control. He does have weaknesses, but he knows how to work with them.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #103
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the biggest thing for me.

We can't really waste time on getting a guy that will pan out in two years here...because Andre could be hanging it up 2 years from now. We needed a guy who can produce now and contribute now. Not another project pick.
Old 04-26-2013   #104
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
The only real negatives are that he is not a burner, and he is not very explosive. However, he does a good job using his body to box out though , and has excellent body control. He does have weaknesses, but he knows how to work with them.
Actually I´ve read several times, that one of his greatest strength is his explosiveness off the snap. He is not a burner like say DeSean Jackson, but people are acting like he is slow and a pure posession receiver. 4.41 is not slow - and if you look at the tape, he actually plays pretty fast. He is probably compareable in speed to most elite receivers in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins is the full package - who knows, if he`ll ever be elite, but he should be able to step in and contribute right away. And he definetly has a superstar ceiling (though he probably ends up as just a very good #2 or an average #1).
LikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #105
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Actually I´ve read several times, that one of his greatest strength is his explosiveness off the snap. He is not a burner like say DeSean Jackson, but people are acting like he is slow and a pure posession receiver. 4.41 is not slow - and if you look at the tape, he actually plays pretty fast. He is probably compareable in speed to most elite receivers in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins is the full package - who knows, if he`ll ever be elite, but he should be able to step in and contribute right away. And he definetly has a superstar ceiling (though he probably ends up as just a very good #2 or an average #1).
I don't see raw explosion. I realize that the scouting reports say there is, but I just dont see it. He gets off the line with average acceleration/burst, but is able to succeed because he is strong, sets up his fakes well, and uses his hands well.

As for his 40-time: that is track, not football. He has adequate speed- I am not saying he is a plodder. But like his "burst", I think it is merely average. But, again, his other abilities help him to minimize the negative affects.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #106
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Disagree completely. Patterson looks like a bust waiting to happen, IMO. Mayock is not that sold on him, saying he lacks a lot of maturity. He also doesn't seem to have that great of a motor out there. Almost like a Randy Moss in Randy's latter years.

Justin Hunter, IMO, is a project pick with a high ceiling (I like him BETTER than Patterson) but look, we tried to draft a high ceiling guy like Hunter. His name was Jacoby Jones. Both guys began their football careers as skinny kids and Mayock is concerned Hunter will not add more to his frame. Sure, he's 6'4" but Mayock is concerned about his softness over the middle. Plus, he has a focus problem on some passes. Unsure hands.

I don't think outside of Tavon Austin we could have picked a better Round 1 WR than Hopkins. Watch his highlights and then watch Allen, Austin, Patterson and Hunter highlights. To me, there's a visible difference in the way those guys are playing compared to Hopkins. Eyes don't lie, Hopkins LOOKS better.

No homer here, either. It remains to be seen if Schaub will be able to utilize the guy (I thought he'd be able to gel with Keyshawn Martin, and that turned to mush--though I know it was more Martin than Schaub, but still...). All in all, I think we got the guy we wanted. Kubiak knows offense. Phillips knows defense. So I'm good with this pick and hope he grades out the way others have him projected right now.

Wasn't a reach, wasn't a project pick. And THAT is worth a lot. To me.
Hopkins wasn't even the best WR on his team at Clemson. You sure put alot of stock in What Mayock thinks.

Patterson = Moss in Moss later yrs=LOL, Patterson plays nothing like Moss if you've ever seen Patterson play. Is he dumb as a box of rocks? Yes, but guess what AJ isn't exactly mensa material. If Gary would've been in charge when AJ was picked, AJ probably wouldn't be a Texan today.

JJ wouldn't make a pimple on Hunters butt. I read somewhere that Hunter was one of only 3 WR's to run a 4.4 or better at 6'4 and have over a 40 in vert. (Pro day) JJ never had anything close to that. He will be better in his 2nd yr coming off his ACL. Hunter is far from a project.

With that said I like Hopkins, he will be a solid #2. (Pun intended) But I would've picked a definsive guy like Hunt/Short/Minter in the 1st and maximized the value of the pick by taking Rodgers/Swope in the 2nd rd. But when BoB/AJ speak things happen.

Schaub is damaged goods, I dont want to derail the thread.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #107
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I can't remember where I read this, but I recall reading that Patterson is literally too dumb to run routes.

What is Kirksey's job? To teach?

On 2nd thought I'm glad they picked Hopkins, because teaching doesn't appear to a strength of Kirksey's.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2013   #108
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopkins wasn't even the best WR on his team at Clemson.
That's not exactly fair when the other receiver is Sammy Watkins, the #1 receiver for next year's draft. He would probably be the #1 receiver in this draft as well. He is Tavon Austin on steroids.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #109
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Swope has gone from slightly underrated to the most overrated player on this forum.
Old 04-26-2013   #110
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
This is the biggest thing for me.

We can't really waste time on getting a guy that will pan out in two years here...because Andre could be hanging it up 2 years from now. We needed a guy who can produce now and contribute now. Not another project pick.
Swope/Hunter/Rodgers are far from project picks and could've been had in the 2nd rd.

Your line of thinking is understandable if you think the Texans are going to have a chance of winning a SB next yr. (I dont) Is Hopkins really better than Posey or has more potential than Posey?
Old 04-26-2013   #111
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought I posted last night, but I got the impression that Patterson must have bombed A LOT of team interviews at the combine because the measureables and (albeit only one year of) tape are both there.

I think Hopkins is a good receiver and was a player I did a lot of reading on because I figured Patterson, Austin, and Allen would all be gone and Hopkins would be the "best of the rest". Everybody who goes to TC this summer is going to look squarely at his performance, I can garuntee, and I'm pretty excited to see if he can step in and contribute right away.
Old 04-26-2013   #112
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What we have to be aware of here is that the Texans had the pick of every WR that came out of college this year with the exception of Austin, who was not a consideration anyway since he went #8 overall and is really more of a slot-guy anyway and not a traditional WR.
I was impressed with the more glamorous Patterson and also USCs Robert Woods, either of whom the Texans could have had instead of Hopkins if that's what they wanted, but they didn't and clearly got their top choice.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #113
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Posted this in the other thread - I'll put it here too.

Hopkins on Sports Science
Ok that was awesome. But I have to ask after all of that hype, they go off and compare him to Brandon Lloyd?!?

Anyway, I am pumped about this pick. This guy looks legit. Watching him in the LSU game. Just wow...
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #114
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Ok that was awesome. But I have to ask after all of that hype, they go off and compare him to Brandon Lloyd?!?

Anyway, I am pumped about this pick. This guy looks legit. Watching him in the LSU game. Just wow...
At one point, LSU's DBs just wave the white flag and start tackling him and pulling his jersey during his routes. LOL, almost every catch attempt he's got guys draped all over him.

The TD catch at the beginning of that clip was special. He'll need those skills to dig up Schaub's subterranean passes that everyone has to lay out for.
Old 04-26-2013   #115
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok I stand corrected on this pick. Kid looks like the real deal and an early contributor. Good job Texans
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #116
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That's not exactly fair when the other receiver is Sammy Watkins, the #1 receiver for next year's draft. He would probably be the #1 receiver in this draft as well. He is Tavon Austin on steroids.
Hopkins was actually far more productive Watkins in 2012.
Old 04-26-2013   #117
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post

They're comparing him to Brandon Lloyd in terms of measured ability.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #118
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
I've been rewatching some Clemson games.
In the fourth game of the season, against the Seminoles, the announcer stated that the Tigers receivers practiced catching the ball with one hand, so that's a plus there.

Hopkins showed football saavy on a play where he was tackled after a short catch. The CB spun him around and Hopkins landed on the Defender's stomach. He immediately worked to break free, using his hands to push off the ground, not allowing his body or his knees to touch the ground. He then continued to run downfield; too bad, the side line judge ruled that he was in the grasp (which I don't think was the case.)

That was a smart and heady play by Hopkins.

I'd like to see him engage in his blocking better though.
We'll see how much he improved on that as the year went along; I still have plenty of tapes to review.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #119
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't say I'm super stoked, but I'm ok with it. I reckon I might be too defensive minded to really get excited about offensive picks. Especially knowing how stubborn Kubiak is with his offense. Hopefully Hopkins shows no flaws throughout camp, because if he does, he won't see the field until it's fixed.

Welcome to H-town, DeAndre!
Old 04-26-2013   #120
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hopefully Hopkins shows no flaws throughout camp, because if he does, he won't see the field until it's fixed.
Who would they put out there over him? LeStar? KMArt?

Hopkins is the starter from day 1. Book it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read