Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2013   #401
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Oh and to state what should be ludicrously obvious - ANY WR BROUGHT IN WITH AJ WAS GOING TO BE THE #2 WR.
True.

It would be a problem if we didn't have Andre & Hopkins turned out to be bleh..... but we continue to build the defense, because Hopkins is "good enough"

Similar to we never would have got a true #1 CB had we not parted ways with Dunta. Dunta was "good enough"
Old 05-06-2013   #402
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny how so many people cite statistics from last year when comparing Hopkins and Watkins. Y'all clearly did not watch, or follow Clemson for the past two seasons. Two or three people have already tried to compare the two player's statistics in 2012, while ignoring Watkins' injury and his play in 2011, as if that is the whole story.

Lesson learned, most people just look at statistics and repeat what they read from others. Any mild football fan that has watched Clemson play in the past two years can see that Watkins is more talented and a better prospect than Hopkins. It's clear as day.

I love Hopkins, but this deal where people compare the two based on 2012 statistics alone is a joke and shows how little they actually know about the situation.

Watkins got suspended for the first two games, he then injured his ankle in his third game back I believe it was. Not to mention, he wasn't even needed for his first game back. Dude barely even saw the field in the second half of that game. The injury continued to bother him until the bowl game against LSU in which he suffered a leg injury very early on. So, he essentially played in only 8.5 games, injured, and still had over 700 yards.

/rant

Sorry, had to get that out there.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #403
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What's with all of this we crap?

The Texans are BoB's team. He wants a certain type of player on his team and really could care less what the avg fan thinks, as long as those corporate $$$$ keep rolling in.

The NFL is strioctly a big business monopoly that puts what's good for the owners bank accounts 1st and foremost. If you dont see that look at the rules changes God'ell is forcing down the fans throats at the behest of the owners. God'ell could give 2 craps about saftey. But he does care about how much $$$$ the owners are going to have to pay out in the concussion lawsuits. Even if the rule changes will ruin the game that we all love.

End of rant

BTW, I wanted Short over Hopkins. Like most of this yrs draft picks Hopkins is a very good player (He wasn't even the best WR on his college team) but not a true differencemaker.
End of rant??? I doubt it. You hate the NFL, you hate the Texans, you hate McNair (WTF with the BoB anyway?), you hate Rick Smith, you hate Kubiak, you hate Schaub, you hate any Texans player who isn't a felon (because BoB likes non-felons). I have some suggestions for you: Titans, Cowboys, Bengals. More the type owner/player you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Whoa...... didn't say the guy wasn't any good, said there were questions. Just like there were questions about Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Tony Romo, Arian Foster, etc..... There were less questions about Jj Watt.
I agree there are questions. I was just saying the "passed over by x teams" when you are picking at "x+1" is trite silly worn-out and self-defeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
But anyways, I'm glad to learn that Hopkins is not a difference maker before he has even stepped out on the field. I mean he only had 82 rec, 1,405 (twice as many as the next WR on his team), and 18 TDs (15 more than the next WR on his team) Yep, he sucks and has no shot at making a difference here. What's even more depressing is that it's not just him.. "most of this yrs draft picks" don't have a shot at becoming difference makers. What a complete waste this year's draft was.
You do realize that all 82 catches were bubble screens and busted plays? That not a single one was a true "college level" reception?
(Does make me wonder how bad the receivers rated below Hopkins are...)
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #404
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It's funny how so many people cite statistics from last year when comparing Hopkins and Watkins. Y'all clearly did not watch, or follow, Clemson for the past two seasons. Two or three people have already tried to compare the two player's statistics in 2012, while ignoring Watkins' injury and his play in 2011, as if that is the whole story.

Lesson learned, most people just look at statistics and repeat what they read from others. Any mild football fan that has watched Clemson play in the past two years can see that Watkins is more talented and a better prospect than Hopkins. It's clear as day.

I love Hopkins, but this deal where people compare the two based on 2012 statistics alone is a joke and shows how little they actually know about the situation.

/rant

Watkins very well could go on to have a better career, but he was not the #1 option last season. Hopkins is older and probably matured his last season at Clemson.. reason why he had the better season. But PRODUCTION is a big piece to the pie and Hopkins was more productive than Watkins in every damn receiving area (catches, yards, yards per catch, and TDs... and no category was even remotely close) Now Watkins could have a higher ceiling and since he's now stepping into that role we'll now see how his season matches up to the one Hopkins had. Having said that, to try to throw what Hopkins accomplished to the side and act like he wasn't the top target on his team last season is just false.. completely false.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #405
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Lets be real here. These are people doing these jobs. How do we even know the Viking had made up their mind about trading up when we were on the clock? There are 31 other teams out there constantly making and changing their minds.
After looking at what the Vikings did, I doubt they were interested in our pick.

Surely they knew Austin was out of their reach so they wanted to make sure they got Hopkins or Patterson. After we took Hopkins, they probably tried to get 28 from the Broncos before anyone else could. I think they pushed pretty hard & the Broncos didn't take.

That's the only way I can explain why they gave up so much for 29, because they pushed so hard for 28, didn't get it, so they threw the same offer to the Patriots to make sure no one else had a chance.
Old 05-06-2013   #406
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Watkins very well could go on to have a better career, but he was not the #1 option last season. Hopkins is older and probably matured his last season at Clemson.. reason why he had the better season. But PRODUCTION is a big piece to the pie and Hopkins was more productive than Watkins in every damn receiving area (catches, yards, yards per catch, and TDs... and no category was even remotely close) Now Watkins could have a higher ceiling and since he's now stepping into that role we'll now see how his season matches up to the one Hopkins had. Having said that, to try to throw what Hopkins accomplished to the side and act like he wasn't the top target on his team last season is just false.. completely false.
Oh, I am not at all taking anything away from Hopkins. I'm just giving some back to Watkins here. Hopkins was my guy for us just as the season ended, so your talking to a Hopkins fan here. I just think it's unfair to leave out so much about the situation and act like Hopkins surpassed Watkins based on pure level of play.
Old 05-06-2013   #407
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There have been only three freshmen in the history of NCAA football that made the AP All America First Team.

Sammy Watkins was one of them.
That should be enough telling.

(Herschel Walker and Adrian Peterson were the other two.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2013   #408
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

4th - Marshall Faulk.

Oddly Watkins got his 1st team All American with a season which did not match Hopkins 3rd team All American season.
Old 05-06-2013   #409
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
After looking at what the Vikings did, I doubt they were interested in our pick.

Surely they knew Austin was out of their reach so they wanted to make sure they got Hopkins or Patterson. After we took Hopkins, they probably tried to get 28 from the Broncos before anyone else could. I think they pushed pretty hard & the Broncos didn't take.

That's the only way I can explain why they gave up so much for 29, because they pushed so hard for 28, didn't get it, so they threw the same offer to the Patriots to make sure no one else had a chance.
Exactly. They were probably sitting waiting until the first one went, then they would try to move up for the other one. Or maybe not, we don't know, which is kind of the point.

Quote:
It's funny how so many people cite statistics from last year when comparing Hopkins and Watkins. Y'all clearly did not watch, or follow Clemson for the past two seasons. Two or three people have already tried to compare the two player's statistics in 2012, while ignoring Watkins' injury and his play in 2011, as if that is the whole story.

Watkins got suspended for the first two games, he then injured his ankle in his third game back I believe it was. Not to mention, he wasn't even needed for his first game back. Dude barely even saw the field in the second half of that game. The injury continued to bother him until the bowl game against LSU in which he suffered a leg injury very early on. So, he essentially played in only 8.5 games, injured, and still had over 700 yards.

/rant

Err, OK. Watkins sounds great (if you want someone who is usually suspended or injured j/k sorta) but since he was not available in this draft I don't understand what he has to do with anything, unless the plan is the Texans should suspend operations for a year until he is available. Hopkins was the guy they thought was best at 27 this year. Interesting but not relevant that he is the 1st / 2nd / 12th best on his college team.
Old 05-06-2013   #410
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
4th - Marshall Faulk.

Oddly Watkins got his 1st team All American with a season which did not match Hopkins 3rd team All American season.
I believe I had mentioned before that Watkins is used in multiple way like Patterson at Tennessee.

He returns punts and kicks.
He is used out of the backfield (as a RB) and on WR reverses.

The guy has a mitt for hands at 10-3/4
When he's healthy, he's the most dynamic player on the team.
He's dangerous every time he touches the ball.
If you don't have his Freshman game tapes, just read up on some scouting reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQCRtp6Peo

Listen to the comment at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdo9bKZ7q4o
Old 05-06-2013   #411
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Exactly. They were probably sitting waiting until the first one went, then they would try to move up for the other one. Or maybe not, we don't know, which is kind of the point.

Err, OK. Watkins sounds great (if you want someone who is usually suspended or injured j/k sorta) but since he was not available in this draft I don't understand what he has to do with anything, unless the plan is the Texans should suspend operations for a year until he is available. Hopkins was the guy they thought was best at 27 this year. Interesting but not relevant that he is the 1st / 2nd / 12th best on his college team.
This is why I wanted for the Texans to trade for future draft picks so that they can move up next year to get one of the 3 guys: Watkins, Marquise Lee (USC) or Brandon Coleman (Rutgers - this guy is 6'5 and built like Megatron)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc

All three will be Juniors just like Hopkins.
Old 05-06-2013   #412
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
This is why I wanted for the Texans to trade for future draft picks so that they can move up next year to get one of the 3 guys: Watkins, Marquise Lee (USC) or Brandon Coleman (Rutgers - this guy is 6'5 and built like Megatron)

I understand your thinking and I agree with it to an extent, but I doubt the Texans were going to trade their first for future picks unless they were blown away by a deal. They certainly take the long-term status of the club into account, but they are also in win now mode as well. And I doubt many teams were breaking down the Texans' door with future firsts in order to get the 27th pick in a draft where there was great depth but not as many gamechangers as usual. The weak qb class didn't help.
greekdbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #413
greekdbag
Veteran

Rep Power: 1796 greekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respectedgreekdbag is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The majority of people thought Duane Brown was a reach. The Texans got the guy they wanted then and got the guy they wanted now. Where they got him shouldn't matter if they believed it was a chance he wouldn't be there later. I don't mind you not agreeing with the pick. I actually wanted Robert Woods instead of Hopkins, but that's not who we have and Hopkins clearly was the guy we wanted in the 1st. Makes no difference to me then where they got him if that's the case.
Robert Woods was supposedly the Texans' second target at WR if they didn't get Hopkins. I like what Buffalo did to surround Manuel with talent. Now they have Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, TJ Graham, Marquise Goodwin, Brad Smith, CJ Spiller, and Fred Jackson.
Old 05-06-2013   #414
greekdbag
Veteran

"BTW, I wanted Short over Hopkins. Like most of this yrs draft picks Hopkins is a very good player (He wasn't even the best WR on his college team) but not a true differencemaker."

Why did you like Short over Sylvester Williams, steelb? Did you like Datone? And that's kind of a backhanded compliment of Hopkins. That's like saying Roddy White is very good but he's not even the best wr on his team. Who cares? He's still a very good wr. The same could be said about Robert Woods and Marquise Lee, but that doesn't make Woods any less of a prospect either.
Old 05-06-2013   #415
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
I understand your thinking and I agree with it to an extent, but I doubt the Texans were going to trade their first for future picks unless they were blown away by a deal. They certainly take the long-term status of the club into account, but they are also in win now mode as well. And I doubt many teams were breaking down the Texans' door with future firsts in order to get the 27th pick in a draft where there was great depth but not as many gamechangers as usual. The weak qb class didn't help.
I don't know how they did it, but I was checking around for fun starting with 1999 in the draft history section from a couple of sites, and saw that there were four teams with at least two first round picks.

Then in 2000, there were three teams, including the Jets with three picks.
Old 05-06-2013   #416
greekdbag
Veteran

http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/4/...eandre-hopkins

The Film Room: Breaking Down DeAndre Hopkins
Old 05-07-2013   #417
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Several people used Watkins' drop off in production in 2012, without properly explaining the situation, as a way of countering steelb's argument that Hopkins wasn't the best WR on his team. I was clearing up what the situation at Clemson was this year, because it was being misrepresented.

What don't you understand?
Old 05-07-2013   #418
Fred
All Pro

Quote:
Several people used Watkins' drop off in production in 2012, without properly explaining the situation, as a way of countering steelb's argument that Hopkins wasn't the best WR on his team. I was clearing up what the situation at Clemson was this year, because it was being misrepresented.

What don't you understand?
Quote:
I don't understand why the quality of a player not in this year's draft makes a difference in where / if players in this draft should be picked. I don't think picking Hopkins is a mistake because someone not in the draft is better. Unless, again, the Texans should suspend football operations until Watkins is available which seems to be where 76 is going:

Quote:

Old 05-07-2013   #419
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't know how they did it, but I was checking around for fun starting with 1999 in the draft history section from a couple of sites, and saw that there were four teams with at least two first round picks.

Then in 2000, there were three teams, including the Jets with three picks.
In 2001, there were two teams, with the Rams having 3 picks.

In 2002, there were two teams.

In 2003, there were four teams.

In 2004, there were five teams, including the Texans.

In 2005, there were four teams.

In 2006, there were three teams.

In 2007, there were two.

In 2008, there were an astounding number of five teams.

In 2009, there were four.

In 2010, there were another four.

In 2011, there were the Saints.

In 2012, there were four.

And in 2013, there were three, with the Vikings amassing 3 picks.

There were several with multiple first round picks in consecutive seasons, too.

Last edited by 76Texan; 05-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2013   #420
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdbag View Post
http://www.battleredblog.com/2013/4/...eandre-hopkins

The Film Room: Breaking Down DeAndre Hopkins
Deliciously smart.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read