Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2013   #21
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Hope he balls but is he the second best wr on the board? Hope he's a difference maker and can elevate schaubs game.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #22
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans were planning on taking a WR in round 1, it's hard not to think they got the one they wanted. Hopkins was the 2nd WR taken, only behind Austin.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #23
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 59496 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

https://twitter.com/Nukdabomb

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #24
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Hope he balls but is he the second best wr on the board? Hope he's a difference maker and can elevate schaubs game.
I think several WRs were ranked pretty close.

Patterson has the most talent - but is also really raw and seems to not be the smartest guy. Boom or bust guy that wouldn't help right away.

Allen has some red flags and bad workouts.

Hunter is kinda similar to Hopkins but seems to be just behind talent wise.

In the end we get a pro ready WR with great work ethic - and in the past we went pretty well with high character guys...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #25
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

This was my guy from the start, so I am very happy with the selection. We have our #2 receiver.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I like (Crapper) Hopkins, I would've rather Rick/Gary taken a chance on greatness on a guy like Patterson/Hunter. Or go defense and take an impact defensive guy like Short and take one of the other WR's like Swope/Rodgers in the 2nd rd.

Gary decided to play it safe. (Not suprising) Gigem LOL

I guess AJ's words carry some weight in Gary's world.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #27
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow vikings swap four picks for one to get Patterson after we take Hopkins. Measuring stick?
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2013   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It all depends on who's opinion you're looking at. Bruglar has him as the #1 WR overall, even better than Tavon Austin. Walterfootball and Mayock had him as the #3 behind Austin and Patterson.

But he fits what Kubiak wants and I think he'll be a good fit in this offense.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #29
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

worth a watch, deandre on sports science. has sick hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nHtKg5AQ0
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Out side of Keenan Allen, who has injury concerns, he's the most step in and contribute ready WRs in the draft.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

THIS is the guy I wanted, even above Tavon Austin (whom I think compares more to Reggie Bush than as a real "WR").

Really happy to see us just settle in and take a guy who many consider to be one of the top WRs in this year's draft. We didn't grab a project defensive guy, we didn't go after a tier 2 TE, we just zeroed in on a solid playmaking WR.

Hopefully his ability to get separation and off the jam at the LOS will help Schaub who really needs to just get rid of the ball faster than he used to be inclined to do pre-Lisfranc injury. AJ and Hopkins, then Martin in the slot.

They say he compares to Reggie Wayne, but he looks more like Larry Fitzgerald to me when I watch him play. He has a quicker off-the-snap move than Wayne, IMO. And his breaks on the ball are really sharp and aggressive.

VERY happy with this pick.
Old 04-25-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
don't go read up on it and see that he had left the hotel hours before it was trashed. nice impression
Well, I read up on it and everything points to Hopkins.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...ne-sources-say
A trashed hotel room at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis belonged to Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison, according to league sources.
NFL sources also told ESPN they believe Harrison is not responsible for what happened to the room.
Urine and feces were found around the bathroom, toothpaste was left on the mirror and partially eaten food was on one of the beds, sources told ESPN. Neither player made any attempt to clean up the mess, according to witnesses, and neither player has taken responsibility for the room. But, the NFL community is now well aware of which players occupied it.

One NFL coach expressed disappointment to hear that Hopkins, regarded as a potential second-round pick, may have been involved.

Also reported by http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...hed-hotel-room

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...ing-hotel-room
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/18...pkins-and-mark
One would think that players would be on their best behavior while attending the biggest job interview of their football careers, but it appears that not everybody shared that sentiment. Initially, Jeff Foster, the president of the National Football Scouting organization who runs the combine, declined to identify the two responsible for the feces-fest, but now, ESPN mega-insider Adam Schefter has outed the duo as Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

If it is okay for you to say he had left it should be okay for others to post the opposite. I wasn't there so don't know but it is a story that should be at least considered by a team. Obviously, Texans not too concerned.
Old 04-25-2013   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
From the General's twitter:

Texans investigated Hopkins, and they're convinced he wasn't involved in trashing of his hotel room at combine.
Wasn't McLame up there at the Combine ..... in the vicinity of that hotel room ..... during that time????

Just saying...........
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Although I like (Crapper) Hopkins, I would've rather Rick/Gary taken a chance on greatness on a guy like Patterson/Hunter. Or go defense and take an impact defensive guy like Short and take one of the other WR's like Swope/Rodgers in the 2nd rd.

Gary decided to play it safe. (Not suprising) Gigem LOL
Disagree completely. Patterson looks like a bust waiting to happen, IMO. Mayock is not that sold on him, saying he lacks a lot of maturity. He also doesn't seem to have that great of a motor out there. Almost like a Randy Moss in Randy's latter years.

Justin Hunter, IMO, is a project pick with a high ceiling (I like him BETTER than Patterson) but look, we tried to draft a high ceiling guy like Hunter. His name was Jacoby Jones. Both guys began their football careers as skinny kids and Mayock is concerned Hunter will not add more to his frame. Sure, he's 6'4" but Mayock is concerned about his softness over the middle. Plus, he has a focus problem on some passes. Unsure hands.

I don't think outside of Tavon Austin we could have picked a better Round 1 WR than Hopkins. Watch his highlights and then watch Allen, Austin, Patterson and Hunter highlights. To me, there's a visible difference in the way those guys are playing compared to Hopkins. Eyes don't lie, Hopkins LOOKS better.

No homer here, either. It remains to be seen if Schaub will be able to utilize the guy (I thought he'd be able to gel with Keyshawn Martin, and that turned to mush--though I know it was more Martin than Schaub, but still...). All in all, I think we got the guy we wanted. Kubiak knows offense. Phillips knows defense. So I'm good with this pick and hope he grades out the way others have him projected right now.

Wasn't a reach, wasn't a project pick. And THAT is worth a lot. To me.
Old 04-25-2013   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Although I like (Crapper) Hopkins, I would've rather Rick taken a chance on greatness on a guy like Patterson/Hunter. Or go defense and take an impact defensive guy like Short and take one of the other WR's like Swope/Rodgers in the 2nd rd.

Rick decided to play it safe. (Not suprising) Gigem LOL

FIFY .... Its Rick's job to fill out the roster.

They needed a playmaker ... I probably would have taken Hopkins had he been available in the TT Mock , he went 1 pick ahead of my selection.

I wonder if they take a shot at another WR between now and the 4th.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Wasn't McLame up there at the Combine ..... in the vicinity of that hotel room ..... during that time????

Just saying...........
Well, WTF is a guy supposed to do if he smells powdered donuts under some couch cushions?

You don't just act like it's not there. You tear that muther ****in' room APART until you find those bad boys. This is a non-story. General's Rules.
Old 04-25-2013   #37
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

To be honest if this guy is boldin esque then its the best thing for us cause he has to go get schaubs inaccurate throws. Which is crappy when you think about it. I just couldn't believe we had our pick of the WR class and we went this way. Posey and martin last year don't help the confidence in the FO decisions on WRs. Well one hole filled. Let's fill a few more
Old 04-25-2013   #38
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

The WR situation should look good going into the playoff run, if Posey is able to make it back by mid season.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #39
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To be honest if this guy is boldin esque then its the best thing for us cause he has to go get schaubs inaccurate throws. Which is crappy when you think about it. I just couldn't believe we had our pick of the WR class and we went this way. Posey and martin last year don't help the confidence in the FO decisions on WRs. Well one hole filled. Let's fill a few more
I can understand if you prefer one of the other WRs that were on the board, but IMO, you might not know enough about Hopkins if you're disappointed with the pick.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #40
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Disagree completely. Patterson looks like a bust waiting to happen, IMO. Mayock is not that sold on him, saying he lacks a lot of maturity. He also doesn't seem to have that great of a motor out there. Almost like a Randy Moss in Randy's latter years.

Justin Hunter, IMO, is a project pick with a high ceiling (I like him BETTER than Patterson) but look, we tried to draft a high ceiling guy like Hunter. His name was Jacoby Jones. Both guys began their football careers as skinny kids and Mayock is concerned Hunter will not add more to his frame. Sure, he's 6'4" but Mayock is concerned about his softness over the middle. Plus, he has a focus problem on some passes. Unsure hands.

I don't think outside of Tavon Austin we could have picked a better Round 1 WR than Hopkins. Watch his highlights and then watch Allen, Austin, Patterson and Hunter highlights. To me, there's a visible difference in the way those guys are playing compared to Hopkins. Eyes don't lie, Hopkins LOOKS better.

No homer here, either. It remains to be seen if Schaub will be able to utilize the guy (I thought he'd be able to gel with Keyshawn Martin, and that turned to mush--though I know it was more Martin than Schaub, but still...). All in all, I think we got the guy we wanted. Kubiak knows offense. Phillips knows defense. So I'm good with this pick and hope he grades out the way others have him projected right now.

Wasn't a reach, wasn't a project pick. And THAT is worth a lot. To me.
Go on....... I'm listening

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read