Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2014   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No QB and I'm not even the least bit upset

No QB in the first 4 picks , biggest hole on the roster still to be filled .... and I'm thrilled with the first 4 picks.

Clowney - Best player in the draft.

Su'a-Filo - Best interior OL in the draft.

Fiedorowicz - Wasn't thrilled with the pick but do like the player a lot. Probably would have gone RT here (Morgan Moses was the next pick off the board).

Nix - Finally , this team hasn't had a big nasty NT since Seth Payne. First round talent in the middle of the 3rd round.

Purely on talent , this might be the best draft in the history of the franchise .... even if they didn't fill the biggest need.

Watt , Nix , Clowney , Mercilus & Cushing ..... QB's have to be concerned.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #2
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75018 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No QB and I'm not even the least bit upset

Am I the only one not completely giving up on Keenum at this point? I mean it's an outside shot I know.
Old 05-09-2014   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully they all pan out. I'll settle for two.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No QB in the first 4 picks , biggest hole on the roster still to be filled .... and I'm thrilled with the first 4 picks.

Fiedorowicz - Wasn't thrilled with the pick but do like the player a lot. Probably would have gone RT here (Morgan Moses was the next pick off the board).

Nix - Finally , this team hasn't had a big nasty NT since Seth Payne. First round talent in the middle of the 3rd round.

Purely on talent , this might be the best draft in the history of the franchise .... even if they didn't fill the biggest need.

I have to admit I was livid when N.E. picked Garoppolo and we countered with a TE. Then we drafted Nix and all was well.

Our QB is in next years draft. Looking like Fitz is our guy for 2014.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only player on either side of the ball that impacts every single play while his unit is on the field. You can have the greatest supporting cast in the NFL and still be irrelevant without a competent signal caller.

I love the picks we've made. If we had anyone other than Yates, Keenum, and Fitzpatrick right now I'd be thinking a deep run. Even Schaub.

But as it is, we ditched our safety net pre-draft with the obvious intention of filling that hole and so far we've missed on the only players with legitimate starting potential. That means Fitzpatrick or Keenum are likely our starter for 2014 and while this may bode well for 2015 or 2016 it means this year is basically a wash. That's depressing. I'm the least bit upset, even though I understand the plan
Old 05-09-2014   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Me too, C.

This draft has real potential to be a franchise-changer. 4 day 1 starters, book it.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #7
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Am I the only one not completely giving up on Keenum at this point? I mean it's an outside shot I know.
Nah, I think there is still a fringe movement for Keenum on the board.

Hey, if he can win for us, good for him. I don't think he's the guy though.
Old 05-09-2014   #8
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

The Texans may already have their RT in Quessenberry or Williams. If healthy, one of these guys starts over Newton

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As soon as Minnesota jumped in front of us for Bridgewater I gave up on QB. Love all 4 picks so far. 4 week one starters IMO and they all play on the LOS.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
You are not the only one but you are in the minority. Unless Keenum suddenly stopped panicking at the first sign of a blitz, and or, stopped running backwards 20 yards for a sack ala David Carr, Keenum is not the guy. There are reasons he went undrafted.

Old 05-09-2014   #11
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
As soon as Minnesota jumped in front of us for Bridgewater I gave up on QB. Love all 4 picks so far. 4 week one starters IMO and they all play on the LOS.
Yep, same. Ignoring that glaring hole at QB, this draft just straight up redeemed itself for me. Love the Sua Filo, Fiedorowicz and Nix picks.
Old 05-09-2014   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The true philosophy of the Texans has always been patience, strength in the trenches, and building slowly through the draft.
Because of that, we've always been "a year away"

Everyone who says our QB will be there in 2015 is the perfect Texans fan. "We are built for the long haul and will be contenders in just a few years."

I can see the excuses for passing all the QBs in next year's draft as well. "You don't force a need pick. You take BPA. We need more defensive lineman."

Sometimes you ignore needs and take the best player at the position. When your need is the most important player on the team, it's hard to see how that strategy is going to lead to success in the immediate future
Old 05-09-2014   #13
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The true philosophy of the Texans has always been patience, strength in the trenches, and building slowly through the draft.
Because of that, we've always been "a year away"

Everyone who says our QB will be there in 2015 is the perfect Texans fan. "We are built for the long haul and will be contenders in just a few years."

I can see the excuses for passing all the QBs in next year's draft as well. "You don't force a need pick. You take BPA. We need more defensive lineman."
I'm like 99% sure this will happen, but I'll give Bill O'Brien some time to find his QB. He deserves the benefit of the doubt after all the leash Kubiak got.
Old 05-09-2014   #14
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Mccarron or savage on the board? I concur. Great talent taken at value positions. We got the best talent possible, we upgraded the nasty in our line, we finally got the beef on our dl, we added dramatic talent to our olb core. I'm happy. I have resorvations about Fido but we'll see how he's used. Happy overall.
Old 05-09-2014   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
The only player on either side of the ball that impacts every single play while his unit is on the field. You can have the greatest supporting cast in the NFL and still be irrelevant without a competent signal caller.

I love the picks we've made. If we had anyone other than Yates, Keenum, and Fitzpatrick right now I'd be thinking a deep run. Even Schaub.

But as it is, we ditched our safety net pre-draft with the obvious intention of filling that hole and so far we've missed on the only players with legitimate starting potential. That means Fitzpatrick or Keenum are likely our starter for 2014 and while this may bode well for 2015 or 2016 it means this year is basically a wash. That's depressing. I'm the least bit upset, even though I understand the plan
Rob Johnson and Trent Dilfer have SB rings cus they had a badass defense. Maybe the Texans are putting together a badass defense.

Old 05-09-2014   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Rob Johnson and Trent Dilfer have SB rings cus they had a badass defense. Maybe the Texans are putting together a badass defense.
The game has changed too much since then. You cant make that comparison anymore
Old 05-09-2014   #17
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
2 QBs in the past 2 decades isn't a great track record.
Old 05-09-2014   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we giving up on O'Brien being a QB maker or is it the quality of what he has so far to work with?
Old 05-09-2014   #19
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanred View Post
Rod johnson and trent dilfer have sb rings cus they had a badass defense. Maybe the texans are putting together a badass defense.
did you mean Brad Johnson, the TB Qb back with Gruden? I agree and said after the SB this year, if your QB is sub par to good, develop a smothering defense to balance that out...

That's what Seattle did...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The game has changed too much since then. You cant make that comparison anymore
Has it really?

Sincerly,
Russel Wilson

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read