Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NT or DE in first 3 picks

srrono

All Pro
The more I look at Texans DLine it screams help.

Reasons
DE/NT
A.Smith final year in contract.

T.Jamison returning from right Achilles tear on Oct.14 2012.

David Hunter returning from injuring his toe during practice that required surgery.

Ra'shon Harris is in final yr of contract and returning from tearing his right triceps.

Earl Mitchell final year contract.

S.Cody is a FA and with back injury.(gone)

Terrell McClain final year contract.

Only depth that is healthly and not in final year of contract is J.Crick.

Lots of questions on players returning from major injuires.

After 2013 only Watt & Crick & Hunter under contract.

If I missed something let me know.

First 3 pick in any order IMO are WR-NT/DE-LB

The player they chose will be able to play both NT and DE.

Reasons
DE/NT

David Hunter returning from injuring his toe during practice that required surgery.

Ra'shon Harris is in final yr of contract and returning from tearing his right triceps.

Yes. Ra'shon Harris is not even listed on the roster anymore. I think he's gone! Just another reason they will make a selection at NT and maybe DE.

Reasons
DE/NT

I have been preaching this the whole offseason. It reflects in my mock.

1.) Jonathan Hankins DT. I have been going back and forth between Hankins and Short for a while. Today it's Hankins. Hankins is big but has the talent and versatility to play anywhere on the DL.

2.) DaRick Rogers WR. Just like I did with the first pick I have have gone back and forth with this pick. Only I have three guys here that I'm struggling to choose from. Patton, Dobson and Rogers. I feel Any of these guys would contribute right away and would at the very least become the #2 WR almost immediately. I went with Rogers because I feel out of the 3 he has the most potential to eventually become AJ's replacement as our #1 WR.

3.) Travis Kelce TE. He fits our team better than any TE in the draft IMO. He is the best blocking / receiving in this draft. This allows us to trade OD now or let him walk after this year helping to free up cap space to sign Watt and Cushing to extensions. Kelce was used a lot like we use our TE's. He went in motion a lot and was very good at being a lead blocker and an H back out of those type plays. Because of this he should be able to not only pick up our offense quickly but excel in it.

3.) Kenny Stills WR. Stills is the best WR that no one talks about in this draft. I know people will think this is high for him. I don't! He reminds me a lot of Kendal Wright Baylor in last years draft. He is that good. Watch his highlights and what really stands out is that he gets very good separation and he is very conscious of getting BOTH feet in bounds on sideline and endzone catches.

4.) Zac Dysert QB. I love Dysert. I wanted him to come out last year so we could draft him. He is the perfect QB to groom behind Schaub while he plays out his contract.

5.) Reid Fragel OT Ohio St. Has the athletic ability to play in this system. Former TE who could be our future RT.

6.) Kwame Geathers NT. I know people will say I already drafted a NT in the first so why another one here. I watched a lot of Georgia's game tape and Geathers when on the field surprised me with very good hustle and agility for a guy his size. There were plays where he ran 35 yards down field chasing plays.

He played his best when playing against bigger OL. When he went up against smaller guys who went low on him is where he had problems. He won't have that problem in the NFL. He would of been a full time starter next hear and surely improved his draft stock greatly. We are lucky he came out early and we have the chance to get him with a 6th round pick. Great size, willingness to hustle, good bloodlines all add up to him being a quality player once he gets some pro Coaching and develops more technique.

I could easily see him being a very good starting 3/4 NT in the near future. A DL of Watt, Geathers and Hankins would look a lot like a younger version of Baltimore's DL of the last several years.

6.) Zac Anderson DE/OLB northern Michigan. My biggest sleeper In this draft.

School: Northern Michigan University (Division II)
Height: 6-3
Weight: 280
40 time: 4.62
Bench Press Reps: 33
Vertical: 35 inches
20-Yard-Dash: 2.69
10-Yard-Dash: 1.68
Broad Jump: 10 feet
Squat 750
Highlight Tape:

Notes:

- Has elite get off.
- Uses his hands very well to eliminate blockers quickly.
- Has elite intangibles and is apparently a very intelligent guy.
- Has an amazing motor.
- Very raw in his technique at times and would need continued development.
- Only had 1 sack his senior year but played through an ankle injury that should've ended his season (that game tape is him WITH the ankle injury).

7.)George Winn RB. I fell in love with this guy while watching Film of Kelce. He is a very hard high effort runner that is hard to bring down Nd fights for every yard. Watch some of his film before you judge this pick. I bet you will be surprised.

I know it's not the most common names but I have really latched on to these guys and hope we get as many of them as possible. In the first and second round I would be very happy with any of the alternatives I listed.

So we find out about your sleeper, ehh?

I knew of him, but there aren't much tapes to evaluate him so there isn't much I can say.

I won't be surprised if the Texans draft a front 7 defensive guy with their top pick and leverage the depth of the WR class this year by waiting until the second round (or even later).

I won't be surprised if the Texans draft a front 7 defensive guy with their top pick and leverage the depth of the WR class this year by waiting until the second round (or even later).

I won't be surprised by a move like this either, but I don't think we'll go beyond the 2nd round for a WR. We did this same thing last year when WR was a very deep position in the 2012 draft and then traded away our 2nd round pick and it came back to bite us in the ass when we took a 6th round prospect in the 3rd round. I doubt they make that same mistake two years in a row. I think our first 3 picks are a mixture of WR, NT/DE, and OLB since we lost Barwin in FA. I also expect the Texans to double up at WR with a later pick.

I won't be surprised by a move like this either, but I don't think we'll go beyond the 2nd round for a WR. We did this same thing last year when WR was a very deep position in the 2012 draft and then traded away our 2nd round pick and it came back to bite us in the ass when we took a 6th round prospect in the 3rd round. I doubt they make that same mistake two years in a row. I think our first 3 picks are a mixture of WR, NT/DE, and OLB since we lost Barwin in FA. I also expect the Texans to double up at WR with a later pick.

I cant see them going beyond the second round to pick a WR either .... tho Im not sure they double up on the position. I found myself really regretting that decision in the TT mock as the draft went on and I couldnt address OT.

I cant see them going beyond the second round to pick a WR either .... tho Im not sure they double up on the position. I found myself really regretting that decision in the TT mock as the draft went on and I couldnt address OT.

I don't think the Texans will double up as fast as you did in the TT mock since there are so many different positions/holes on the team right now that need to be addressed, but I do think they'll use a late pick, 6th or 7th for some added depth.

I don't think the Texans will double up as fast as you did in the TT mock since there are so many different positions/holes on the team right now that need to be addressed, but I do think they'll use a late pick, 6th or 7th for some added depth.

Have we ever drafted to fill holes? I just don't see the texans going into the draft saying, we have to fill these holes. It may have a small impact but no way do they approach it saying, ok we have to get an ILB, NT, OT and a WR in the first four rounds like everyone here wants mocks to go.

Thats just unrealistic.

Have we ever drafted to fill holes? I just don't see the texans going into the draft saying, we have to fill these holes. It may have a small impact but no way do they approach it saying, ok we have to get an ILB, NT, OT and a WR in the first four rounds like everyone here wants mocks to go.

Thats just unrealistic.

I think, under Smith at least, the concept has always been to take the BPA at a position of need.

We needed a left tackle, we drafted Duane Brown (and a lot of people thought we reached.)

We needed linebackers and we drafted Cushing, Sharpton, and Reed.

We needed a RB (after failing to find one in FA) and we drafted Slaton and Tate.

We needed a DB and we drafted Kareem and McMannis and when Kareem didn't have a good rookie season, we drafted Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael.

We need a WR and we draft Posey and Martin.

I can't remember a year under this regime where they didn't draft someone to fill almost all (if not all) of the holes perceived that year going into the draft.

Ideally, we need starters at WR, RT, ILB, and NT. We desperately need depth at OLB, DE, and S. We could do with more than one WR, OLB, ILB, or DE as well.

I don't think we need a high round DE but we will need to draft at least one. In the TT mock draft, I took William Gholston, Jordan Hill, and Joe Vellano in rounds 4 and later. I wouldnt mind seeing the Texans target one of these three guys later in the draft. There's actually quite a bit of depth at 3-4 DE in this draft.

We would be smart to get a NT in the first 4 rounds but who knows if they wait to find a late round steal.

I agree that it is unrealistic to say we need to draft a specific position in the first x amount of rounds. We will likely go BPA to a greater extent than we think. At the same time, I think it is safe to say that of all things, we will draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

I think, under Smith at least, the concept has always been to take the BPA at a position of need.

This has always been true of most teams in the NFL. The teams that don't do this a lot are the teams that are on top and have very few positions of need, like the Pats, who seem to always have little or no needs and can sit back and let the Draft come to them. Most teams, when they're on top, can afford to do this. But, when they start to decline, and start having more positions of need, like the Steelers have the last few years, they will start drafting the BPA at a position of need like most of the rest.

Most teams can improve at most positions, which is why going straight BPA in the first round always makes the most sense, with few exceptions (teams who already have elite QB's). We have no positions that we are locked in and don't need any help at, so I hope Rick & Co. take BPA at 27, then fill need with the rest of the draft.

We needed a left tackle, we drafted Duane Brown (and a lot of people thought we reached.)

We needed linebackers and we drafted Cushing, Sharpton, and Reed.

We needed a RB (after failing to find one in FA) and we drafted Slaton and Tate.

We needed a DB and we drafted Kareem and McMannis and when Kareem didn't have a good rookie season, we drafted Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael.

We need a WR and we draft Posey and Martin.

I can't remember a year under this regime where they didn't draft someone to fill almost all (if not all) of the holes perceived that year going into the draft.

Give me an example where we drafted to fill all needs in one year.

Well, you ask if we've ever drafted to fill holes and I answer back, yes and give examples.

Then you change it up so that it's about drafting to fill ALL our needs. Any year I point to, you can always say "Yeah, but we needed one of these, too."

Every year, lots of the draft sites have team needs listed. Although I don't have the links, I know that several years (most of them in the Rick Smith era), we've drafted players at all those listed needs... but that doesn't really constitute drafting to fill all your needs because expecting some 3rd or 4th rounder to fill a need is not realistic.

Expecting more than 1 or 2 guys to be immediate starters out of a draft is unrealistic. Therefore, you can only realistically try to fill 1 or 2 starter spots per year and hope the other guys develop and start later. You can get more than that if you're lucky OR if your team is that short-staffed and you have to force guys into the rotation who aren't really ready.

THEREFORE...

You can't draft to fill ALL your needs unless you only have 1 or 2 needs. It's very rare for a team to only have 1 or 2 needs.

AND THEN there's always the problem of who determines what is and what is not a need. What you think our team needs, what I think our team needs, and what Rick Smith thinks our team needs are probably 3 different things.

I believe Rick Smith has a longer view of "need" than we do. I believe he considered drafting a TE a few years ago a "need" even though we had OD because he was looking at a possibility of OD leaving via free agency; he did the same thing with the Mercilus pick, he expected Barwin to be going.

So, yes. I believe we have a history of drafting to fill needs. (I think that's why we passed up on Patrick Willis.) But if you define "drafting to fill needs" as "drafting to fill ALL needs", then no because that's impossible.

Well, you ask if we've QWever drafted to fill holes and I answer back, yes and give examples.

Then you change it up so that it's about drafting to fill ALL our needs. Any year I point to, you can always say "Yeah, but we needed one of these, too.

you made the statement "I can't remember a year under this regime where they didn't draft someone to fill almost all (if not all) of the holes perceived that year going into the draft.". So I asked you to give me an example. Wasn't trying to draw you into a Kobayashi Maru conversation.I just don't remember us ever doing that. I always remember everyone bitching after every draft that we didn't fill this need or that need. Was just wondering if I was remembering wrong. :worldpeace:

you made the statement "I can't remember a year under this regime where they didn't draft someone to fill almost all (if not all) of the holes perceived that year going into the draft.". So I asked you to give me an example. Wasn't trying to draw you into a Kobayashi Maru conversation.I just don't remember us ever doing that. I always remember everyone bitching after every draft that we didn't fill this need or that need. Was just wondering if I was remembering wrong. :worldpeace:

OK. I'll give you that.

I was referring to the draft sites that give grades after the draft; the ones that have two or three "needs" listed. For several drafts, I can remember looking at those things since Smith's first and those sites have showed us drafting someone for every major need. Although this gets into the whole "perceived" need thing and those sites' list of needs don't always jibe with the needs perceived by TT. Frequently on TT, if you were to create a list of needs, you'd have almost the entire team.

I don't have links to all those sites. I don't have links to even one of those sites because I didn't know beforehand that I'd need it to support my memory but there it is.

Back