Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Matt Barkley?

LikeMike

Veteran
Hey guys,

it seems like Matt Barkleys stock is free falling... a consensus Nr.1 pick before the season, now it seems like he could be a 3d rounder.

So that means he should for sure be there by our first round pick, and he might still be there by our second round pick. Would you be willing to take a gamble on him and sit him behind Matt Schaub for 2-3 years? Does he still have the talent to be a franchise QB or does one college season change everything?

I don`t really watch college football, so I don`t know what the changes are that he becomes the next Aaron Rodgers or the next Jimmy Clauson... but with our QB situation, I am kinda intrigued. I still would prefer our high picks to contribute right away, but buying low on a franchise QB would certainly be a smart thing (if we believe he can be a franchise QB...).

I expect Barkley will be off the board before 57.

Jason La Canfora has him going in the first.

Matt Barkley has the pedigree, starting games the past eight years going back to his freshman year of high school. He comes from a pro style offense, and he is plug-and-play. But even if it doesn't work out, this is a kid who no one disputes would have been top 10 a year ago, so they can't kill you for moving up to the end of the first round to trade for him. Trust me, that kind of groupthink is prevalent these days (for better or worse).

Rest of article here.

Sure, he could go in the first round, even in the top 10 - or he could fall to the third round, which several mock drafts predict. The question is: would you bite, either with our first rounder or second rounder, or would you want to stay away from him and get players that help us win this year?

No!

I don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick and I sure don't think he's worth a 1st. The Texans need to fill other positions 1st before QB. No QB in this class is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick IMO. If someone like Dysert is there in the 4th and he's the highest rated player you have, then OK, but I really think they need to fill the ILB, WR, OLB, and NT positions before even thinking about QB. Next year is supposed to be a better year anyway for QB's. That's when you can look for Schaub's replacement.

Back