Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-15-2013   #61
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
When was Babin voted All Pro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
2010 with the Titans when he got 12.5 sacks and then again in 2011 with the Eagles when he got 18 sacks.
Correction:
Pro Bowl in 2010 and 2011.
All Pro in 2011.
Also #44 in the 100 best players of 2011
(whatever that means)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #62
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Babin has been cut by the Texans, Seahawks, Chiefs, Eagles, played for 5 teams in 9 years and has had only 2 good seasons.

Babin is a bust.
Babin was not "cut" by the Texans or Chiefs. He was traded by the Texans to the Seahawks & left the Chiefs as a free agent after they signed him in November. It's hardly fair to say that he got a true opportunity in KC after being signed with the season nearly being over. Babin has gone on record that Seahawks never intended to give him an opportunity & he doesn't care for that franchise because of it. I feel the same was done here by Kubiak as Babin was not his player, per se, & it did seem there was a bit of a house cleaning here as kubiak & Smith tried to establish their identity w/ their players. So to be fair it seems Babin was misused by Capers, discarded by Kubiak for a mediocre player from Seatle, & then was never in Seatles plans. His time in KC was extremely short. He finally got a real opportunity in Tennessee, Philly, & Jacksonville & has had decent seasons producing 2 Pro Bowl seasons while being named an All Pro once. When used properly, 4-3 DE, & given an opportunity, Babin has produced & that hardly says "bust" to me. Even when he was cut by a Philly team that was obviously in disarray & then being picked up by the Jags he still produced 7 sacks. That's not to shabby for a "bust".
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #63
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Babin was not "cut" by the Texans or Chiefs. He was traded by the Texans to the Seahawks & left the Chiefs as a free agent after they signed him in November. It's hardly fair to say that he got a true opportunity in KC after being signed with the season nearly being over. Babin has gone on record that Seahawks never intended to give him an opportunity & he doesn't care for that franchise because of it. I feel the same was done here by Kubiak as Babin was not his player, per se, & it did seem there was a bit of a house cleaning here as kubiak & Smith tried to establish their identity w/ their players. So to be fair it seems Babin was misused by Capers, discarded by Kubiak for a mediocre player from Seatle, & then was never in Seatles plans. His time in KC was extremely short. He finally got a real opportunity in Tennessee, Philly, & Jacksonville & has had decent seasons producing 2 Pro Bowl seasons while being named an All Pro once. When used properly, 4-3 DE, & given an opportunity, Babin has produced & that hardly says "bust" to me. Even when he was cut by a Philly team that was obviously in disarray & then being picked up by the Jags he still produced 7 sacks. That's not to shabby for a "bust".
I always liked Babin and I thought that in the right environment he'd be productive.

But he really burned some bridges with me when there was the DC change in Philly and he basically refused to do what they wanted him to do. They originally wanted him in that wide formation they were using but they were getting gouged in the run and wanted him to line up in a more standard way... and he refused.

But he's not a bust.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Worst and or Most Hated Draft Picks:
1.) Bennie Joppru (Dissapointing to say the least)
2.) David Carr (Gave new meaning to the fetal position)
3.) Travis Johnson (Probably the reason the Texans want high class individuals ever after)
4.) Jacoby Jones (Never became the threat he was drafted to be.)
5.) Tony Hollings (Lost a 2nd round pick because of this no-show.)
6.) Jason Babin
7.) Seth Wand
8.) Charles Hill
9.) Matt Stevens
10.) Antwaun Molden

Best and or Favorite Draft Picks:
1.) Andre Johnson (The BP in Texans franchise history. Period)
2.) J.J. Watt (Is more than a great football player, a great person for the city)
3.) Duane Brown (Turned all nonbelievers into believers)
4.) Mario Williams (A stud when he wants to be. Potentially unblockable.)
5.) Domanick Davis (Made the early Texans offense watchable)
6.) Aaron Glenn (Made the early Texans defense watchable)
7.) Brian Cushing (Insane on the field. 3 down linebacker who always works hard)
8.) Drew Henson (Turned his sorry 6th round ass into a 3rd, Thanks Cowgirls)
9.) Brice McCain (6th round pick becoming a damn good cover corner)
10.) DeMeco Ryans (Captain of our defense during some tough years)
I totally agree with your "Best/Most Favorite" list. Can't really argue with a single one of them. I might quibble with and remove Henson and put Kareem Jackson in his place. Reason?: K.J. is in the same category as Duane Brown as he went from prematurely declared bust (i.e., "bad pick") into a very solid player at his position.

Regarding your "worse" list I'd have to add Dave Ragone in there somewhere. I mean, we just picked Carr #1 overall the year before. We had an experienced backup in Tony Banks (I think he should have started for at least a year while Carr learned the ropes - but that's a different discussion). We're trying to make an expansion team more solid. Why the hell did we waste a third round pick on a guy who was never going to start?!? Dave Ragone, not David Carr is my all-time, number one, Worst Texans' draft pick. The pick itself made no sense and the guy never really saw the field. WTF??

At first I was thinking that Jacoby wasn't an awful a pick until you realize I realized that James Jones was picked by Green Bay about 5-6 picks later. This was another, "what were they thinking?" pick. Why take a chance on a track guy from a small school when there were other WRs out there with, arguably, better pedigrees. In addition to James Jones, Yamon Figurs and Jason Hill were just as fast (or faster) as Jacoby and were from Div I schools. The last thing a two-year old expansion team needed was to burn a first day pick on a long shot from a small school.

Not to rag on Jacoby because I wanted him to succeed as I want all Texans picks to succeed. But this is a look-back exercise, and looking back, this pick - given who else was available - was definitely questionable.
Old 04-15-2013   #65
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you everyone for this discussion. I am enjoying all of this debate over who is a bust and not. I obviously take the point of view that if a pick is taken high, and doesn't work out, it will be a bust. I never really considered the other views, but now it is something to take consideration of.

I still stand by my choices, but I do enjoy reading your opinions. I just want to say thanks again, because of all of this discussion, and users reading my post, it is my most viewed blog so far. Thanks again for that.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
1bennie joppru
2jason babin
3travis johnson
4amobi okoye
5antoine caldwell

im not putting carr on here. he had all the tools.
And did nothing with them.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #67
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
1bennie joppru
2jason babin
3travis johnson
4amobi okoye
5antoine caldwell

im not putting carr on here. he had all the tools.
Sure he did. He just misplaced the one between his ears.
Old 04-15-2013   #68
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Sure he did. He just misplaced the one between his ears.
Here's his rookie card . I think he lacked more of something else .

Old 04-16-2013   #69
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Alex Brink was a WTF PICK if u ask me even if it was a 7th round pick right ..???
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #70
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Alex Brink was a WTF PICK if u ask me even if it was a 7th round pick right ..???
He wasn't who I expected and there were better guys available BUT... it's a 7th round flyer on a guy they thought they saw something they might be able to develop. That doesn't bother me at all.

Of course, the next pick was Steve Johnson of the Bills. I'd love to have him on our team at this point.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #71
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

1. By far Picking Charlie Casserly as the GM of the franchise and his smarter than you "scouting"

2. Carr. Guy set the franchise back so long and really did not have the fire you would've liked to see in franchise QB.

3. Okoye, bar none the FO whiffed taking a 19 year old DL as opposed to a no brainer pick in Willis. I still remember the disappointment of this pick at the time like...just...wow.

4. Travis Johnson, massive reach and TERRIBLE fit, while there are picks I would've taken after TJ including DJ, none were clearly a non brainer like Willis.

5. For my money Molden, another high pick small school smarter than you pick.

For the record I don't get the Joppru bad pick, guy had some serious skills and it's really a tragedy the injuries he had prevented him from becoming anything more than a sideline cheerleader.

Honorable Mention: Hollings and Ragone.

Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #72
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He wasn't who I expected and there were better guys available BUT... it's a 7th round flyer on a guy they thought they saw something they might be able to develop. That doesn't bother me at all.

Of course, the next pick was Steve Johnson of the Bills. I'd love to have him on our team at this point.
yeah... it makes one wonder who the hell scouts our WR prospects. We pass on Steve Johnson to pick up Alex Brink. We chose Jacoby Jones over James Jones and Mike Sims-Walker (although this may be a push). We pick David Anderson and the Saints grab Marques Colston with the very next pick....

I guess that's the old hindsight thing at work again....
Old 04-16-2013   #73
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
1. By far Picking Charlie Casserly as the GM of the franchise and his smarter than you "scouting"
WINNER!

Damn it. Now I have to change my list. "HEY!"
Old 04-17-2013   #74
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Jabar Gaffney? I realize he wasn't a bust, but... he never did anything for the Texans when he played.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #75
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
What about Jabar Gaffney? I realize he wasn't a bust, but... he never did anything for the Texans when he played.
The reason I hated the Gaffney pick was because I was screaming for Clinton Portis when they made it. Believing you know more about NFL football players than your team's GM does isn't a fun way to be a fan.
Old 04-17-2013   #76
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

jocbey jones turned out to be a pro bowl pick just not for us ....
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #77
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

[quote=powda;2150884]Bennie joppru has to be in the conversation. QUOTE]

Every year he didn't play I was shocked he was still on the roster the next year.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #78
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...aft-picks.html

NFL.com released their top 5 best and worst list. The original list is linked in my blog, along with my reaction. A little bit of language in it, but I feel it is worth it.

Trust me. You will be upset with the top 5 best pick list.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #79
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20124 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Trust me. You will be upset with the top 5 best pick list.
Yeah they need to put AJ in place of Ryans.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #80
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
In four years with the Texans, Gaffney had 171 catches for 2009 yards, for an avg of 11.75 yards. One of those years was the dreadful 2005 season, his last as a Texan. In 2004, he caught 41 balls for 642 yards. AJ caught 79 for 1142. That's not a half bad tandem, considering who they had at QB. Gaffney could have been a decent #2, IMO. He shouldn't have been drafted in the 2nd round, but if you look at what Gaffney has gone on to do, he's kind of a prototypical second fiddle guy. Two years ago, he had 68 catches for 947 yards. Three years ago, he had 65 for 875. He had 21 catches in the playoffs alone for NE one year.

If you take Gaffney's best five years and Walter's best five years, you pretty much have the same WR. People around here say that Walter was a good #2 for a couple years and then just fell off. Well, consider this:

Walter's best 5 years - 270 rec, 3449 yards, 12.8 avg, 21 TD, 175 first downs. Schaub all 5 years, with some Rosenfels and Yates. He only had one more year worth noting.

Gaffney's best 5 years - 264 rec, 3635 yds, 13.8 avg, 16 TD, 183 first downs. Gaffney had two to three other seasons that were roughly comparable with his 5th best season, by my estimation. In 11 years, he has two seasons with less than 34 catches. His QBs for the five years I counted were Carr x1, Brady x1, and Orton x3, injuries and subs notwithstanding. I'm sure there were some Tony Banks games and Matt Cassel games.

The only significant difference I see is C&C spent a 2nd round pick on Gaffney and Smithiak spent a 6th rounder (IIRC) on Walter in a trade. Guys can't help what teams spend on them, so I tend not to hold that against the players that much.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read