Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-13-2013   #1
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

NFL.com will be doing a piece on the top 5 best and worst picks for our team on April 22nd. I couldn't wait that long, so I did my own list.

This is just my own opinion, so feel free to list your own opinions on how the list goes.

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...aft-picks.html

Hope you enjoy!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 Best and Worst Draft picks in Texans History

Charles Hill has to be one of our worst draft picks. Tony Hollings as well.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
NFL.com will be doing a piece on the top 5 best and worst picks for our team on April 22nd. I couldn't wait that long, so I did my own list.

This is just my own opinion, so feel free to list your own opinions on how the list goes.

http://houstontexanfansr.blogspot.co...aft-picks.html

Hope you enjoy!
Edit
Old 04-13-2013   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony hollings came to mind

Nfl and texan doctors saying Boselli was ready to go HAS to be number 1
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #5
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Tony hollings came to mind

Nfl and texan doctors saying Boselli was ready to go HAS to be number 1
I didn't include the expansion draft. I agree Boselli would have gone high, but it was the expansion draft, and not the college draft. I just wanted to do the College draft, since that is what is coming up.

Old 04-13-2013   #6
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Charles Hill has to be one of our worst draft picks. Tony Hollings as well.
I didn't put Hollings on the list, due to him being selected in the Supplemental draft.

As for Charles Hill, I actually had no memory of him. Remember, I was a bit younger in 2002

I give him somewhat of a break though, due to the fact that we had 12 picks in the draft that season. I know you never want to waste a draft pick, but with the amount we had that season, since we were new, it didn't hurt as bad as taking a first rounder like Travis Johnson, and Babin.

Old 04-13-2013   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see putting Anthony Hill on that list. He was a 4th round TE drafted to be a blocking TE. The fact that he was injured and didn't see the field a lot doesn't bother me in the least.

I would have put Carr, Morency, Ragone, Charles Hill, and guys like that on there before a 4th round blocking TE.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 224375 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

On Jason Babin - I maintained at the time that Casserly properly identified a talent there. But trading away picks to move up and grab him, then misusing him for four years, was the biggest part of the problem. Babin had somewhat questionable character as well. But he did go on to have a couple great seasons that showed what he had the talent to do - 30 or so sacks in two seasons. That the Texans never developed and/or utilized that talent was just one more failure of a terrible HC/GM tandem.

To me, Amobi Ok0ye has to be in the top 5 worst, not only because of where he was drafted and how poorly he performed to that expectation, but also because of who the team passed on and the fact that the team was not good enough to be taking on development projects in the first round (early first, too) at that point.
Old 04-14-2013   #9
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

To me, Amobi Ok0ye has to be in the top 5 worst, not only because of where he was drafted and how poorly he performed to that expectation, but also because of who the team passed on and the fact that the team was not good enough to be taking on development projects in the first round (early first, too) at that point.
Which is why I have him as number 4.

Old 04-14-2013   #10
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

So I guess everyone agrees with my top 5 best draft picks, right?

Old 04-14-2013   #11
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Bennie joppru has to be in the conversation. A very high 2nd round pick who did next to nothing. Hill is there. Ragone. Hollings. Okye and t Johnson are about even in performance so I give the edge to okoye based on draft position.

Molden would be up there but he's a 3rd round pick. His only competition by that criteria is Ragone whom was drafted when we had carr and sage...he was a luxury pick on a team desperate for talent. Looking back its amazing how much casserly f*cked this team up.
Old 04-14-2013   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47631 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you do a top 5 worst pick for this team? The entire 07 draft class (except Jones) and 08 (except Brown) were busts.

5 worst individuals? Well:

1) David Carr
2) Charles Hill
3) Seth Wand
4) Bennie Joppru
5) DeVier Posey

Special mention: Antwaun Molden, Jason Babin, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Charles Spencer, and Vernand Morency.

I put Posey on there because he was out of football for the 2011 season, basically out until the end of last season, blows out his MCL, will be out next season. So 3 seasons of no football? This is the NFL, you can't do that. A waste of a 3rd round pick.

Top 5 Best:

1) JJ Watt
2) Andre Johnson
3) Brian Cushing
4) Duane Brown
5) Kareem Jackson

Honorable mention: Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Owen Danials.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Carr
2. Joppru
3. Okoye
4. Travis Johnson
5. Ragone
Old 04-14-2013   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Felt bad for Joppru at the time. He had no injury history when we drafted him.IIRC

Put some salt in the wound...Jason whitten was drafted #69 in the 3rd round that year

However I doubt his career would be like it was being hwwsnn was Qb'ing for the fiirst few years
Old 04-14-2013   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

As far as best picks

1) Andre Johnson (thank you Detroit)
2) JJ Watt
3) Brian Cushing
4) Demeco Ryans
5) Duane Brown
Old 04-14-2013   #16
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
So I guess everyone agrees with my top 5 best draft picks, right?
The way most seem to be replying, it seems they agree w/ your best & worst list. Not sure too many are looking at the link you provided.

I do think Babin caught a raw deal here as it was obvious he wasn't a 3-4 lb, so he was evaluated improperly by Casserly/ Capers & then he never got an opportunity w/ Kubiak imo. He was the former regimes player in Kubiak's eyes & they were weeding them out unless your name was Andre Johnson. Babin has had a decent career, so he is a playwright that has talent.

Winston was a good pick imo, but I'm not sure who I would replace w/ him, but I think he was worth noting considering the round he was selected & his contribution.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #17
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

No mention of Travis Johnson......

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 234554 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
He was #2 on the original list.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #19
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Yeah, he was No.2 on my list. Had Joppru not been around, Johnson easily would have been number one.

Old 04-14-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to me you need to distinguish between best and worst choice v. result. There was nothing wrong with the choice to draft Joppru but the result sucked.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read