Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2005   #21
Capster67
Veteran

Default Key Year for Capers

I agree with the writer's placement of Capers on the list. I've been concerned about the teams unwillingness to seek out a veteran (especially on defense) who could get us over the top. While some of this obviously falls on GM Casserly, I don't have a sense that Capers is providing vision/leadership. Seems like he is content to make do with what's put out on the field. While this laid back approach might make him popular with the owner, I think it leaves something for the fan. I was also concerned by the fact that this past year there were a couple of games (especially the one here in Denver and the second half of the Jets game as well) where the team totally failed to show up. The Denver game was a flat out embarassment!! That game was in the middle of what could have been an important run. Didn't say much for Capers ability to motivate and focus the team.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #22
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And as for Fisher comming to Houston...Guys .. ya got to
smoke better stuff.
I never said he would come here or I wanted him here, I just brought up the thought of what could happen if Capers and Fisher lost their jobs around the same time...And like I said in my post, I am bored, tired, and it's offseason, I don't have much to think about or write about as far as football goes right now...
Old 06-24-2005   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been concerned about the teams unwillingness to seek out a veteran (especially on defense) who could get us over the top.
The Texans had one of the oldest defensive units in the league before Sharper and Glenn's release.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #24
ocd
Rookie

These are the guys that are done this year if they don't make to the playoffs, and quite franky, I don't see why they are still coaching their teams this year...

Mike Shanahan, Broncos

Mike Holmgren, Seahawks

Jim Haslett, Saints

Mike Sherman, Packers
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #25
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

I'd take any one of those MIKE's as our Offensive Co-ordinator in a pinch. I'd even take Shanahan or Holmgren as head coach.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #26
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the whole thing that makes putting capers on the hot seat so dangerous for this club is our defense...we run a 3-4 defense...it will take years to get us to a 4-3 if you fire capers and hire somebody who runs another type of defense...i'm all for getting on palmer's case...fangio i think needs to look at tape of blitzburgh last season or new englands D...other than that i say these guys are just now trying to put a playoff run together...give them some time

as i look around the league guys i think need to be either fired or on the hot seat are haslett, mike shanahan, holmgren should all be on the hot seat and martz should be the first dumb sob to be fired...martz doesn't know how to run a team he just knows how to run the flashest offense around
Old 06-25-2005   #27
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never liked Capers as a head coach. He is one of those dc that should have stayed just that. He is clueless about offense and he doesn't have an oc that is inovative enough to design plays that fit our personel and that can handle the load on his own. As far as getting fired I would say it depends not only on a winning record and possible playoffs but also on who is available when decision time comes. I think Capers will fulfill all 5 years of his contract but we may lose Palmer and/or Fangio. Hoke seems like a good candidate for dc. Don't know about oc. This is not a hate Capers post I haven't ever liked him as a hc and have said so plenty of times.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2005   #28
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I've never liked Capers as a head coach. He is one of those dc that should have stayed just that. He is clueless about offense and he doesn't have an oc that is inovative enough to design plays that fit our personel and that can handle the load on his own. As far as getting fired I would say it depends not only on a winning record and possible playoffs but also on who is available when decision time comes. I think Capers will fulfill all 5 years of his contract but we may lose Palmer and/or Fangio. Hoke seems like a good candidate for dc. Don't know about oc. This is not a hate Capers post I haven't ever liked him as a hc and have said so plenty of times.
Is Buddy Ryan still available?
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #29
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

I think Jim Haslett, of the Saints should invest in some asbestos Levi s.

First he has a "dain bramaged" quarterback in Brooks and his owner wants out. Can you imagine the sales pitch??? "give me a pile of money and a buck more YOU get to fire Haslett!"
Old 06-27-2005   #30
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Is Buddy Ryan still available?

I can only wish... but i think he is a little too old dont you.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #31
mmontgo
Rookie

You know over the last couple years, I have felt the Texans have played way to conservative offensively. I still contend this and felt we have not exploited our strengths in Carr and Johnson. Much of the play calling is so unimaginative. Even the experts agree about our play calling and the mystery behind our play designs on a weekly basis. Now, with this said, I believe we have done a decent job on defense. I give Dom a passing grade to date because he started with nothing. If we knock on the door to the playoffs and fall short, I think he deserves an extension for a couple more years. I do believe our offensive scheme has to improve significantly for Palmer to extend though. Also, you have to look at the line personnel decisions if we stagnate this year. Who is making this call? How can we fix this?

Bottomline: I have a lot more Patience, but believe we ought to be knocking this year and in next year. I love Dom's approach to the game, but think they will need to become more imaginative and liberal in their offensive play calling...
mmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #32
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmontgo
You know over the last couple years, I have felt the Texans have played way to conservative offensively. I still contend this and felt we have not exploited our strengths in Carr and Johnson. Much of the play calling is so unimaginative. Even the experts agree about our play calling and the mystery behind our play designs on a weekly basis. Now, with this said, I believe we have done a decent job on defense. I give Dom a passing grade to date because he started with nothing. If we knock on the door to the playoffs and fall short, I think he deserves an extension for a couple more years. I do believe our offensive scheme has to improve significantly for Palmer to extend though. Also, you have to look at the line personnel decisions if we stagnate this year. Who is making this call? How can we fix this?

Bottomline: I have a lot more Patience, but believe we ought to be knocking this year and in next year. I love Dom's approach to the game, but think they will need to become more imaginative and liberal in their offensive play calling...
Speaking on the offense:
There's no way an NFL can be as unimaginative as the Texans have been over the past 3 years. This leads me to believe that the play selection was limited on purpose. Not because the offense is young either. It all makes sense. If you're not going to be very good then why show your hand? Why give teams a blueprint on what kind of plays you like to run?

This has got to be the year where we open it up. This is the year where we use most of the playbook. And alot of teams are going to be quite surprised when we line and run a slough of plays that they have no clue we were gonna run.
Old 06-28-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Speaking on the offense:
There's no way an NFL can be as unimaginative as the Texans have been over the past 3 years.
Pittsburgh just went 15-1 with the same kind of offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #34
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Pittsburg has Marvel Smith at LT and Alan Faneca destroying people at guard.

Which I think gives them a little more versatility. And less sacks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

That has nothing to do with scheme....that is personel. We both have an offense that features the run with a vertical passing game. If we were more wide open we probably lose more games because we haven't had the line mature enough to protect the QB in the past. If you think Carr took a ton of hits in a conservative offense I'm sure you could see him get hammered more in a more wide open attack.

Old 06-28-2005   #36
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
They had:
3 good receivers
Good line play
2 bonafide RB's
An awesome defense

We had:
1 good receiver
Poor line play
1 bonafide RB that was hurt for a good portion of the season
An ok defense with a pourous D-line and little pass rush

Not to mention they won about 2-3 games they should've lost. If we'd learn to win those close ones we could've 9-7 or 10-6 ourselves
Old 06-28-2005   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

You are still talking about personel more than scheme. The Panthers and Ravens went to the Super Bowl lately and the Steelers had a great season with a running offense with a downfield passing attack. All these teams rely on ball control and good defense. There is nothing wrong with our offense and it is not much different than other good teams schemes.

Old 06-28-2005   #38
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw a a lot Steeler games last year, seems they have a special play every half or even quarter. How many times have you seen Bettis/Staley throw the ball, or Ward/Randel El run a reverse? Yeah they play smash mouth offense, but they keep defenses honest with these plays. All while we are trying to wow people with our conservativeness.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

We do the same thing if you care to take notice. We ran all sorts of trick plays...more than I liked actually.

Old 06-28-2005   #40
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe your right, they sure don't stick out in my memory though. Well besides the Gaffney fumble... You to admit though, it seems we are offensively challenged at times though. Like someone mentioned earlier, maybe we are not purposely showing the whole playbook. More is definitely to come this year.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read