Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2005   #1
Danish Texan
Rookie

Default Capers on the hot seat

Hi

I tumbled across this article

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.../scrimmage.htm

indicating Dom Capers is one of the coaches in the heat seat - ranked as #3.

What do you think - is he safe or does he risk losing his job if Texans does not make a serious playoff run this year?
Danish Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"3. Dom Capers, Texans (16-32 in three seasons with Houston) - The Texans have made slow and steady improvement in their first three years of existence, from 4-12 to 5-11 to last year's 7-9, but anything less than a prominent place in the playoff picture could spell the end of Capers' tenure in Houston. In a division that includes the Colts and up-and-coming Jaguars, the head coach has a tall order."
That's probably true, but don't think its news to any of us on this board.
Assuming no key injuries, if we have a W-L record no better than last year
and end the season on a real sour note like the Clevland game of last year,
fans here in Houston will be frustrated and very upset. Depends on the circumstances though and things will happen this season no one will anticipate.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #3
sulli60
Rookie

I think the Texans needs to start playing with some characteristics of a Caper's coached team which means getting sacks on the QB. If the team doesn't start to play to the supposed strengths of the coach then I'm sure Casserly and McNair will start thinking hard about bringing someone else in.
sulli60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Any (coaches on the hot seat) list that includes Lovie Smith AND Steve Mariucci doesn't deserve my commentary.
Old 06-24-2005   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about this last night. Anything less than 8-8 or 9-7 and someone is going to lose their job. That record still might not save Palmers job as he will likely be the scapegoat if things don't work out.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #6
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Sports Network's List (without the lengthy comments)
1. Norv Turner, Raiders
2. Jim Haslett, Saints
3. Dom Capers, Texans
4. Steve Mariucci, Lions
5. Mike Martz, Rams
6. Mike Tice, Vikings
7. Mike Holmgren, Seahawks
8. Mike Shanahan, Broncos
9. Lovie Smith, Bears
10. Mike Sherman, Packers

Capers is safe after this season, although some assistants could be on the hot seat

My List (with short witty comments)
1. Norv Turner, Raiders - Terrible coach with impatient owner
2. Mike Martz, Rams - Proof of the theory that people rise to their level of incompetence
3. Jim Haslett, Saints - Needs to get in the playoffs but is in a division with the Falcons and Panthers
4. Mike Shanahan, Broncos - The "genius" label is wearing thin
5. Jeff Fisher, Titans - Bud Adams is the owner
6. Mike Holmgren, Seahawks - Needs to win a playoff game
7. Jon Gruden, Bucs - Chucky is in Jim Haslett's shoes but has won a Super Bowl
8. Mike Sherman, Packers - A bad 05 might mean a new QB and coach in 06
9. Mike Tice, Vikings - New owners and high expectations, but a strong team in a weak division and conference
10. Bill Parcells, Dallas - A bad season won't get him fired, but he may be asked to "resign"
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #7
Beaverhunter
Rookie

Default The time is now

Lets see something now the practice is over and its time to win no excuses I think he should go if we dont reach the playoffs especially after last season a few of those games looked very uninspired I prefer a team with some fight in it and that takes a leader so the talk should be over either win this year and get to the playoffs or go away. :brickwall
Beaverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2005   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers and the FO have built this team from the ground up. It takes time. A little improvement over three years is better to me than no improvement or taking steps back in three years. Look at teams like the 49er's and Dolphins who have been around for a lot longer and did much worse last season. We have added youth and speed to the defense in the offseason and the O line has a full year playing together. I have a feeling we are going to get a little deeper into the playbooks this season on both sides of the ball and I am expecting a lot of good things this season. Capers on the hot seat, not IMO, only way I see Capers on the hotseat if we fail to make it to 8-8 or 9-7 this season, then maybe he'll be on the hotseat.
Old 06-24-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

In that article the writer named 15 coaches...that's right at half the league. Gotta love the risky way he stepped way out on a limb like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
My List (with short witty comments)

2. Mike Martz, Rams - Proof of the theory that people rise to their level of incompetence
I think the Peter principle blast was the best.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #10
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

That's how I have always thought of both Martz and Turner as head coaches. Actually, I don't think Turner was a good coordinator either. He just got a lot of acclaim for coaching Smith, Irvin, Novacek, and Aikman with a huge offensive line. Under a great head coach. Any offensive coordinator would succeed in that situation.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
In that article the writer named 15 coaches...that's right at half the league. Gotta love the risky way he stepped way out on a limb like that.
And he still didn't include JDR? Please, that guy is one stupid move from the "chopping block".

Here's why I think Capers belongs on the list. Dom is heading into the 4th year of a 5 year contract. After the '05 season, it's extension time. That's when McNair has to make a decision on whether Dom has the team heading in the right direction. I don't think playoffs are a must, but a winning home record and solution to the constant pressure on Carr will be.

If McNair decides against the extension, Dom will be given the last year of his contract and shown the door. McNair has too much class to make Capers play for his job in '06. Plus, it's just a poor way to run an organization when you have uncertainty at the top. I and a lot of fans really like Capers and I think McNair does, as well. But this is the season the Texans have to shed all of their expansion baby fat and learn to run. If that means Capers is "on the hot seat", then so be it.
Old 06-24-2005   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The key for Capers is to make sure that the Texans don't go backwards this year. The Texans don't necessarily have to make the playoffs to ensure Capers job is safe, but he and the staff have to make sure that the Texans record improves.
Old 06-24-2005   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And he still didn't include JDR? Please, that guy is one stupid move from the "chopping block".
Del Rio, in his second year, improved the Jags from a 5-11 record in '03 in his first season as head coach to a 9-7 record in '04 in his second year as head coach...I don't see why he should be on the hot seat....
Old 06-24-2005   #14
Scottyboy
Veteran

Default Hot Seat

Capers.......Hmmmmmmmmmm hope he does turn it around

As far as Palmer goes, this guy is terrible!! ( 3rd and 13 -Calls a FB Draw!)

No way we can get to a superbowl with that kind of an O.Coordnatior! :brickwall
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Del Rio, in his second year, improved the Jags from a 5-11 record in '03 in his first season as head coach to a 9-7 record in '04 in his second year as head coach...I don't see why he should be on the hot seat....
Because if you're going to include guys who actually get their teams to the playoffs, like Marty & Herman, guys who fail to make them deserve the seat. And if you take a look at some of Del Rio's questionable motivational techniques (Keep Chopping Wood!) and tactics (i.e., cheap shots), you'll see that JDR is not above criticism. If the Jags don't make the playoffs (and I don't think they will), someone will take the heat. Del Rio has already replaced the OC. If this offense falters again, it's on him.
Old 06-24-2005   #16
LBblitz
Veteran

everyone is talking like capers is horrible (not me) and I just have not figured out why. He learned from his previous mistakes at carolina and is doing a great job of building this team from the ground up. Also, no one has mention who would take the reigns if capers is let go...maybe Lombardi will rise up...

Im a little "iffy" on palmer though. if the offense doesnt live up to its potential it may take the rug out from beneath him.
Old 06-24-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
everyone is talking like capers is horrible (not me) and I just have not figured out why. He learned from his previous mistakes at carolina and is doing a great job of building this team from the ground up. Also, no one has mention who would take the reigns if capers is let go...maybe Lombardi will rise up...
You know that is weird. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I have a strange feeling that if/when Capers is fired or when his contract is up, Jeff Fisher will be on his way out of tacky valley at about the same time...just weird feeling I have...Say it does go down like that, do we offer Fisher the job? Please remember people, this is the offseason, and I don't have much else to talk about or offer...
Old 06-24-2005   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I like Fisher as a coach, but I'm sure if he was looking for a job he'd have numerous job offers from every NFL franchise with a job opening. He always seems to get the most out of his players. That's a trait many owners would like to have in their head coach.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I like Fisher as a coach, but I'm sure if he was looking for a job he'd have numerous job offers from every NFL franchise with a job opening. He always seems to get the most out of his players. That's a trait many owners would like to have in their head coach.
But since he started here in Houston do you think it would entice him to maybe consider Houston before any other offers? I know my thinking is out there today but it's the offseason and I am tired...
Old 06-24-2005   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think the talent level of the team and the bottomline on the contract would be bigger factors in his decision. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coaching a Houston team once again, but then again I doubt he'd mind coaching a NY team who just happened to add an extra couple of buck$ to his wallet.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read