Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2013 players to watch for Texans '14 draft

badboy

Hall of Fame
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1053-West-Coast-QB-Bias-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.

Last edited:
About this time of year, I try to identify positions and players to watch in the next college season that Houston could be interested in for the following draft. I feel comfortable that regardless of the round in this month's draft a WR, OLB, ILB and RT will be selected. I wished I could be as certain about the Nose but until this one is over who knows? Following are players I will focus on and where I have them rated. Of course our draft will probably change focus.

1. OG/OT Cyril Richardson 6'5" 335 Baylor pure LG that would allow Kubiak to allow Brooks to remain at RG where I have him starting in 2013. Richardson blocked for RG3 in 2011 as LT before moving to LG 2012. If Ben Jones can move to center, we should have a young dominating line lead by D. Brown.

2. OLB Morgan Breslin 6'2" 250 USC I mocked him for '13 before he returned. In 2012 he had 12 sacks. He might be a first rounder. 2014 is Reeds last year and he needs a great '13 to come back.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 USC 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1053-West-Coast-QB-Bias-David-Fales

4. ILB Andrew Jackson 6'2" 262 Western Kentucky tackling machine who returned to have his rank improve. Poor decision. Tackling machine.

5. RT Rob Crisp 6'7" 312 NC State has allowed only 1 sack in 2011 and 12. May be way undervalued here.

I love Richardson. No way he'll be available for us unless we really stink it up this year or he regresses. He would of probably been gone by the time we pick this year had he come out.

Players I like and want to keep an eye on:

Gabe Jackson-OG Mississippi St.
C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa
Jake Matthews-OT Texas A&M

We should move this to the College Football section

Seminoles to look for:

The Noles new DC is the old Alabama secondary coach and the team will run a 3-4 defense.

ILB Christian Jones

6' 4" 232 (likely will be bigger in 2013), long, athletic senior that would test well at the combine. Will play ILB in a 3-4 in 2013. He has all the tools to be a top 3 ILB linebacker come draft time. Solid in coverage over the middle and down the field, makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. This is a guy that the Texans should be looking at. Jones Highlights. Jones is going to be a highly rated prospect.

S/CB Lamarcus Joyner

At 5' 8" 195, he plays very aggressively and reminds me of Ed Reed or Polamalu, believe it or not. Joyner played corner as a true freshman and played very well. He moved to safety where he played the past two seasons. He is moving back to corner for his senior season. He is very good with the ball in his hands and also is a kick returner. He may be better suited for that centerfield safety type role in the NFL, as he can cover alot of ground and make plays along the sideline, ala Polamalu. Joyner is a big hitter and does a good job of separating the receiver from the ball. Joyner Highlights

S Terrence Brooks

5' 11" 197. Improved as a starter for his first year as a junior. Will start again at safety in 2013. Could be a mid-round selection, depending on the year he has.

DT Timmy Jernigan

6'1 " 297. Penetrator. Only a junior, but could be one of the most productive interior linemen in the country in 2013. Jernigan Highlights

RB James Wilder

6' 2" 225. Star in the making. Only a junior, but he is a physical freak that could come out if he has a big season. All signs point to a shared backfield, so I doubt he makes a big enough splash to come out early. Wilder Highlights

WR Rashad Greene

6' 175. Very elusive and quick junior. Could be a top 5 receiver by year end. Greene Highlights

Mute all those videos, horribly annoying music.

Other players around the ACC:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Will likely be the #1 receiver in the draft next year. Think DeAndre Hopkins but faster, stronger, more sudden in his cuts, with better hands. Takes over big games.

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I have him as my #1 QB. Great feel for the game.

Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech

Should be one of the top pass rushers in the ACC in 2013.

James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech

Another pass rusher. This guy needs a big year to improve his stock.

Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech

5 INTs last year on a top ranked pass defense. Led the ACC with 21 passes defensed. He had an offseason injury, but should still play 80%+ of the 2013 season.

Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina

54 TDs to 20 INTs over the past two seasons. 3,000+ passing yards each year with a completion percentage above 66% during that time as well.

Last edited:
We should move this to the College Football section

Seminoles to look for:

The Noles new DC is the old Alabama secondary coach and the team will run a 3-4 defense.

ILB Christian Jones

6' 4" 232 (likely will be bigger in 2013), long, athletic senior that would test well at the combine. Will play ILB in a 3-4 in 2013. He has all the tools to be a top 3 ILB linebacker come draft time. Solid in coverage over the middle and down the field, makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. This is a guy that the Texans should be looking at. Jones Highlights. Jones is going to be a highly rated prospect.

S/CB Lamarcus Joyner

At 5' 8" 195, he plays very aggressively and reminds me of Ed Reed or Polamalu, believe it or not. Joyner played corner as a true freshman and played very well. He moved to safety where he played the past two seasons. He is moving back to corner for his senior season. He is very good with the ball in his hands and also is a kick returner. He may be better suited for that centerfield safety type role in the NFL, as he can cover alot of ground and make plays along the sideline, ala Polamalu. Joyner is a big hitter and does a good job of separating the receiver from the ball. Joyner Highlights

S Terrence Brooks

5' 11" 197. Improved as a starter for his first year as a junior. Will start again at safety in 2013. Could be a mid-round selection, depending on the year he has.

DT Timmy Jernigan

6'1 " 297. Penetrator. Only a junior, but could be one of the most productive interior linemen in the country in 2013. Jernigan Highlights

RB James Wilder

6' 2" 225. Star in the making. Only a junior, but he is a physical freak that could come out if he has a big season. All signs point to a shared backfield, so I doubt he makes a big enough splash to come out early. Wilder Highlights

WR Rashad Greene

6' 175. Very elusive and quick junior. Could be a top 5 receiver by year end. Greene Highlights

Mute all those videos, horribly annoying music.

Other players around the ACC:

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Will likely be the #1 receiver in the draft next year. Think DeAndre Hopkins but faster, stronger, more sudden in his cuts, with better hands. Takes over big games.

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I have him as my #1 QB. Great feel for the game.

Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech

Should be one of the top pass rushers in the ACC in 2013.

James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech

Another pass rusher. This guy needs a big year to improve his stock.

Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech

5 INTs last year on a top ranked pass defense. Led the ACC with 21 passes defensed. He had an offseason injury, but should still play 80%+ of the 2013 season.

Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina

54 TDs to 20 INTs over the past two seasons. 3,000+ passing yards each year with a completion percentage above 66% during that time as well.

Repped. Joyner was a five star right? He has always stuck out to me when watching FSU.

Repped. Joyner was a five star right? He has always stuck out to me when watching FSU.

Yea, he was the #1 rated corner by most folks coming out of high school. Jones and Jernigan were also five stars. Wilder was also a five star according to some.

Players I like and want to keep an eye on:

Gabe Jackson-OG Mississippi St.
C.J. Fiedorowicz-TE Iowa
Jake Matthews-OT Texas A&M
Good choices but Matthews could be #1 pick like his former teammate is projected this month.

at this stage of the 2014 draft i will always look at the more "sexy" positions namely QB, WR. but seen as more than likely we will be taking a WR early this year ill be looking at the following QBs:
Logan Thomas
Teddy Bridgewater
Aaron Murray *
Tajh Boyd
Johnny Manziel *
Bryn Renner *

The 3 thats i have * i will be looking with much more intent, these guys i like the most

until the mid way through the season then ill start looking at O-line, D-line, etc

Nick Montana, Tulane; he's only a Jr but looks like a winner.
Guess who he is and what position he plays.

Brandon Coleman (Rutgers); see if he can blossom into Megatron 2.0

Marquise Lee (USC), together with Watkins, and Coleman; this is the trio of WRs that may form the best WR class since quite awhile.

Clemson's receiving corp remains deep.
A Jr might break out along side with Watkins.
His name is Charone Peake and he was a five star recruit.
He has a complete package, just need fine tuning.

Another program with great depth at receiver is Florida St.
I'm looking for Kelvin Benjamin to have a great year.
Another big tall and fast Underclassman (Rs Sophomore) that might declare early.
Just the sight of him coming at you can break down a lot of DBs.

A.J. McCarron. The kid could be the Qb to oust Schaub if we can get our hands on him.

I wonder how his stock is going to change if they have another great year and he plays well.

You know he's going to get picked apart this coming season...

I wonder how his stock is going to change if they have another great year and he plays well.

You know he's going to get picked apart this coming season...

His arm strength is going to be under heavy scrutiny, that's for sure.
He needs to work on that.

Another program with great depth at receiver is Florida St.
I'm looking for Kelvin Benjamin to have a great year.
Another big tall and fast Underclassman (Rs Sophomore) that might declare early.
Just the sight of him coming at you can break down a lot of DBs.

Benjamin would have to have a monster year to come out, which is doubtful. We rotate our receivers pretty heavily and it's difficult for one guy to have a huge season in this offense. However, Benjamin looked pretty dominant in the spring game today. Look out for Kenny Shaw though. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy but is awfully quick and a nice route runner. He's a 6' 170 pound senior who projects to slot receiver.

Benjamin would have to have a monster year to come out, which is doubtful. We rotate our receivers pretty heavily and it's difficult for one guy to have a huge season in this offense. However, Benjamin looked pretty dominant in the spring game today. Look out for Kenny Shaw though. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy but is awfully quick and a nice route runner. He's a 6' 170 pound senior who projects to slot receiver.

That pipeline is still flowing. I would think Rashad Greene to be the go to guy when the new QB needs a target.

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,196 yards 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1053-West-Coast-QB-Bias-David-Fales

I like this Fales guy!

3. QB David Fales 6'3" 220 San Jose St. 4,193 yds 9.3 avg 33 TDs 9 INTs but 26 sacks; behind our Oline he should remain on his feet. Decent arm but can get stronger. New coach could disprove claim he is system QB. Excellent review: http://www.pigskinheaven.com/content.php/1053-West-Coast-QB-Bias-David-Fales

2013 draft over and our picks do effect my thoughts. We did get my guy Brennan Williams so that moves OT off my '14 mock. Also David Quissenberry could eventually resolve OG for me. He blocked for my QB David Fales who had monster 2012 and he did so at the LT so with a year in Texans strength program, should replace Cody White.

New mock:

1. NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky may go later but not taking chance after not drafting one in 2013.

3 QB Fales San Jose St but if another year like 2012, may have to move him up.

I will continue to evaluate WRs because I'm not convinced Jean, Martin or Bonner will be 2014 and we may still need a replacement for AJ eventually. If Posey or Hopkins can prove to be WR 1 material during this season, I'd still probably select WR later rounds to go with these three.

OLB/DE will also be on my radar. Trevardo could be a hit (pun intended) but not 100% sold on Montgomery or Mercilus for that matter. Brooks Reed needs to have a real good year at either OLB or ILB or I cut him after '13.

CB we need to have someone step up this season either Harris or Carmichael so I will evaluate this position also.

Your thoughts or suggestions?

Would Richardson or Nix be available at 32nd pick in the 1st rd?:trophy:

2013 draft over and our picks do effect my thoughts. We did get my guy Brennan Williams so that moves OT off my '14 mock. Also David Quissenberry could eventually resolve OG for me. He blocked for my QB David Fales who had monster 2012 and he did so at the LT so with a year in Texans strength program, should replace Cody White.

New mock:

1. NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

2. ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky may go later but not taking chance after not drafting one in 2013.

3 QB Fales San Jose St but if another year like 2012, may have to move him up.

I will continue to evaluate WRs because I'm not convinced Jean, Martin or Bonner will be 2014 and we may still need a replacement for AJ eventually. If Posey or Hopkins can prove to be WR 1 material during this season, I'd still probably select WR later rounds to go with these three.

OLB/DE will also be on my radar. Trevardo could be a hit (pun intended) but not 100% sold on Montgomery or Mercilus for that matter. Brooks Reed needs to have a real good year at either OLB or ILB or I cut him after '13.

CB we need to have someone step up this season either Harris or Carmichael so I will evaluate this position also.

Your thoughts or suggestions?

Nix is my number one also.

I'm thinking he shouldn't be judged for the "sins" of his brother. Derek's pros and cons should be based on his own merits or lack thereof.

I've seen him play only one time. He looked alot like his brother to me, but it may just have been a bad game for him. I think it was their bowl game.

I've seen him play only one time. He looked alot like his brother to me, but it may just have been a bad game for him. I think it was their bowl game.
I saw him in 2 games where his team was overmatched (Oregon & Boise State). Cons are that he has some of the same sidearm delivery issues his older brother had. And is more careless with the ball. On the pro side, Derek keeps his eyes downfield longer and has much better touch. He throws some of the better lob passes in college football. Not the caliber of prospect his brother was out of college, Derek is not going to be a top 10 pick. But, the Texans aren't likely to be selecting in the top 10, either. If he improves on his ball security, Carr will probably go in the 2nd-3rd round area along with McCarron and Murray. And he's a better athlete than either of them.

I saw him in 2 games where his team was overmatched (Oregon & Boise State). Cons are that he has some of the same sidearm delivery issues his older brother had. And is more careless with the ball. On the pro side, Derek keeps his eyes downfield longer and has much better touch. He throws some of the better lob passes in college football. Not the caliber of prospect his brother was out of college, Derek is not going to be a top 10 pick. But, the Texans aren't likely to be selecting in the top 10, either. If he improves on his ball security, Carr will probably go in the 2nd-3rd round area along with McCarron and Murray. And he's a better athlete than either of them.

I think he's been babied just like his brother . They were a highly naive bunch who thought they hung they moon . Shoot Derek , like his brother , is already married .

Shoot Derek , like his brother , is already married .
Are there any other data points that show marriage is bad for a QB?

The Mannings have thought they hung the moon. Of course they were right in thinking so. Basically, it still boils down to whether you can play or not.

Correct me if I am wrong but David wasn't expected to be a 1st round pick after his junior year was he? - really pretty much blew up his senior season.

More specifically, what do you mean by more careless?

Does he see the middle of the field? - David sucked at that.

Are there any other data points that show marriage is bad for a QB?

The Mannings have thought they hung the moon. Of course they were right in thinking so. Basically, it still boils down to whether you can play or not.

Name another QB besides his brother who was married by his junior year in college . I think if you draft him , pa and the gang will probably want to go to practice with him so he can get there late and leave early .

This excludes Aikman of course cause that kind of marriage wasn't legal then .

I found one guy and that was Phillip Rivers .

Name another QB besides his brother who was married by his junior year in college .
Probably a lot of BYU QBs. So what? I still don't get your point. There were probably a lot of players that got drafted last week that had children but weren't married. That alone doesn't make them good or bad players. You're off on a weird tangent here.

Correct me if I am wrong but David wasn't expected to be a 1st round pick after his junior year was he? - really pretty much blew up his senior season.

More specifically, what do you mean by more careless?

Does he see the middle of the field? - David sucked at that.
That's correct, David Carr had some big games in his senior year where Fresno upset some top 20 teams and moved him up the draft board. Don't know if Derek can get that kind of push in 2013, as Fresno has a pretty soft schedule outside of Boise State.

By more careless, I mean Derek tries to do do much and extend a play that's not there. Which can cause a sack or a strip. Or just throw into coverage and locking onto a receiver. The middle of the field is neither's strength. But if you look at most college offenses, they are centered around the edges of the field.

Probably a lot of BYU QBs. So what? I still don't get your point. There were probably a lot of players that got drafted last week that had children but weren't married. That alone doesn't make them good or bad players. You're off on a weird tangent here.

You can't serve two masters and to be a good NFL QB , you have to be the first one there and the last to leave . Most guys try to get established in the league first or they are the Joe Namath / Tom Brady type which plays well in the locker room .

Would Richardson or Nix be available at 32nd pick in the 1st rd?:trophy:
Watching NT Jesse Williams and the QBs drop this draft guarantees that nothing can be gauranteed. Nix had a pretty good 2012 and was not even mentioned on some mocks. Last I looked he was not on NFLdraftscout.com for 2014. I want to mock him as a second round but another good year would be hard to keep him out of first and maybe out of our reach.

Watching NT Jesse Williams and the QBs drop this draft guarantees that nothing can be gauranteed. Nix had a pretty good 2012 and was not even mentioned on some mocks. Last I looked he was not on NFLdraftscout.com for 2014. I want to mock him as a second round but another good year would be hard to keep him out of first and maybe out of our reach.

IMO Nix's stock took a hit with the performance of ND in the Nat'l game. He is the ND NT if I am not mistaken right?

IMO Nix's stock took a hit with the performance of ND in the Nat'l game. He is the ND NT if I am not mistaken right?

Right guy but he was never on draftscout and did not show on Walter until late. That puzzles me. I really like the kid.

bb- nfldraftscout does things by year. All the Seniors are ranked together, the Juniors are ranked together, and the Sophs are ranked together. Only when they declare for the draft are they put on one list.

Back