Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Let's discuss Texans ILB

I am not sold on Reed moving to ILB but either way, Texans will probably draft OLB in top 3 rounds. Last draft it was with pick one (Mercilus). If Reed does not move, tell me what you think we need to replace Bradie James. Will another scrub vet be the direction Phillips goes or will he want a top three round draft selection.

IMO if we draft by round three we could go with a round 4 or after ILB. I like
Klein or Beauharnais in 5th and think he would do well beside Cush and behind Brandon Williams. Also the addition of Ed Reed would make the transition smoother for a late round guy.
Old 03-30-2013   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Let's discuss Texans ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am not sold on Reed moving to ILB but either way, Texans will probably draft OLB in top 3 rounds. Last draft it was with pick one (Mercilus). If Reed does not move, tell me what you think we need to replace Bradie James. Will another scrub vet be the direction Phillips goes or will he want a top three round draft selection.

Klein or Beauharnais in 5th and think he would do well beside Cush and behind Brandon Williams. Also the addition of Ed Reed would make the transition smoother for a late round guy.
I expect us to draft ILB and pick up a vet or two at ILB. If they don't get any other nibbles, I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Dobbins, James, and Ruud and give them a chance to play for a spot.

I'm expecting us to go Bostic or Klein in rounds 3-5.

It's funny. During the season, I was hoping Te'o would fall to us. Now I'm sure he will but I'm not sure if we want to draft either him or Minter in the 1st. And that's what I was hoping we'd do prior to the whole imaginary girlfriend thing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I even had a thread asking about T'eo @ 27 but think ILB is much lower on our need list than many do. I wished I had seen more of Ruud.
Old 03-30-2013   #4
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of the opinion that we move Reed to ILB & take one of the stud NT's with our 1st, preferably Hankins if he drops to us. Otherwise, I look to trade down into the early 2nd & take Jenkins out of Georgia. My thinking is that this move will plug up the middle & stop/slow down the runs up the middle.

I'm going WR in the 2nd & hoping that Brandon Jenkins falls to us in the 3rd.

Too bad things rarely fall the way you want them to.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I'm of the opinion that we move Reed to ILB & take one of the stud NT's with our 1st, preferably Hankins if he drops to us. Otherwise, I look to trade down into the early 2nd & take Jenkins out of Georgia. My thinking is that this move will plug up the middle & stop/slow down the runs up the middle.

I'm going WR in the 2nd & hoping that Brandon Jenkins falls to us in the 3rd.

Too bad things rarely fall the way you want them to.
Do you mean Brandon Williams? Or John Jenkins I guess as he plays for Georgia. Took me a minute.
Old 03-30-2013   #6
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you mean Brandon Williams?
No. Brandon Jenkins (OLB) Florida St.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-30-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
No. Brandon Jenkins (OLB) Florida St.
He's rated 120 so probably there.
Old 03-30-2013   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...randon-jenkins

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-30-2013   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

When discussing ILB, Wade's defense and the way he plays his LB's has to be part of the discussion. Unless they change things up, Cushing plays the strong side ILB position. Wade will typically blitz this LB 20-25% of the time, but he will also cover underneath in the zone. The weak side ILB position will blitz only about 5 - 10% of the time, but he will have more cover responsibility, having responsibility for the middle of the field in zone.

Ideally, and for the team to really improve defensively, we need a weak side ILB who will be a three down player.

Both Bostic and Klein had respectable production in coverage. I'd also add Klein's teammate, Jake Knott, to the shortlist of possibilities who will be available in the mid-rounds. The draft is deep at this position and we should have an excellent opportunity to upgrade.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
When discussing ILB, Wade's defense and the way he plays his LB's has to be part of the discussion. Unless they change things up, Cushing plays the strong side ILB position. Wade will typically blitz this LB 20-25% of the time, but he will also cover underneath in the zone. The weak side ILB position will blitz only about 5 - 10% of the time, but he will have more cover responsibility, having responsibility for the middle of the field in zone.

Ideally, and for the team to really improve defensively, we need a weak side ILB who will be a three down player.

Both Bostic and Klein had respectable production in coverage. I'd also add Klein's teammate, Jake Knott, to the shortlist of possibilities who will be available in the mid-rounds. The draft is deep at this position and we should have an excellent opportunity to upgrade.
I really like Klein and he is a tackler also. He's my 5th unless I trade it up.
Old 03-30-2013   #11
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Reed is staying at OLB(at least according to Pancakes): https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/s...25604630462465

Makes me think it would come down to looking at ILBs in the draft over OLBs; but they could certainly use depth on the outside again.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm on board with reed at ILB. Athletic and can tackle. That will force us to take an OLB with a high pick which I'm always behind. Can never have too many pass rushers and Reed wasn't exactly impressing with his skills at that position.

Braman, Mercilus, and draft pick will make a great rotation IMO.

See QB. Get QB. Do sack dance. Congrats. I just wrote those guys' play book for next season.
Old 03-31-2013   #13
bobbeaux
Rookie

Rep Power: 595 bobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respectedbobbeaux is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I expect us to draft ILB and pick up a vet or two at ILB. If they don't get any other nibbles, I wouldn't be surprised if we sign Dobbins, James, and Ruud and give them a chance to play for a spot.

I'm expecting us to go Bostic or Klein in rounds 3-5.

It's funny. During the season, I was hoping Te'o would fall to us. Now I'm sure he will but I'm not sure if we want to draft either him or Minter in the 1st. And that's what I was hoping we'd do prior to the whole imaginary girlfriend thing.
i wouldn't mind bostic and i'd like dobbins and rudd back as well . . .

i've been leaning towards ilb in the 1st and had been eyeing ogletree or minter . . . i just don't see the value in a wr at 27 when we can get the same quality with our 2nd . . . robert wood keeps catching my attention.

we are in a pretty good position to where we can take bpa of need . . . trading out of the 1st for another 2nd+ would be the way to go if we can find a partner . . . i can't figure out what wade likes at nt so i really can't tell you when he might take 1 . . . they are liable to go fast in the 1st, but we could find value in the 3rd . . . and a safety in the 1st 4 picks is needed for depth . . . so my best value draft would be:

s or ilb (although if the right nt fell)
wr
s or ilb
nt

btw, i don't see reed moving inside full time which takes away the need for the starter there.
bobbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #14
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Ruud when he was in last year, the guy is in his prime and he played pretty well against the run and the pass last year IMO.
Old 03-31-2013   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Reed does bump inside at ILB or still stays at OLB, we'd need to address either position in the first 3 rounds IMO.

Personally I'd rather just keep Reed outside, he's already made the transition to the OLB position.

I also thought Merciless showed some nice flashes as he got more PT as the season wore on.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Why do you say this? Both Demeco & Bradie was the guy replaced when we went nickel or dime. Are you suggesting Wade change up his defense on passing downs?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #17
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see Braman get a shot at ILB. I don't know if he can make it or not but, he seems to have the motor and attitude to make a good one.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Why do you say this? Both Demeco & Bradie was the guy replaced when we went nickel or dime. Are you suggesting Wade change up his defense on passing downs?
Wade's only been here for two years. What makes you think Wade wasn't just playing the cards he was dealt? I think letting Quin walk and the signing of Reed shows there is going to be a change in philosophy on defense. Depending on who else we add via FA and the draft it could really change.
Old 03-31-2013   #19
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Bear with me for a moment...Dug up this great article I read last year about team use of defensive formations. It's worth a look to get a statistical view of the Texans' use of defensive players. Texans don't use a nickel much (2% of defensive snaps in 2011, Phillips' first season with the Texans). In fact they were in the dime almost 40% of the time in 2011. Haven't seen stats for 2012, but I believe they would show the same trend. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...%80%93-part-1/

On passing downs they brought in McCain as the third corner and Demps as the third safety, then brought Quin down into what would be the WILB spot in a nickel 2-4-5, using him as a small linebacker, but in a dime package. So it's kind of a nickel, sort of a dime.

In 2011 when they switched to the 3-4, their options at WILB were Ryans, Cushing or Sharpton, none of whom could be considered great in coverage, although Cushing has progressed a great deal since. Increasing use of big tight ends as receivers across the middle of the field is forcing defensive coordinators to look for bigger defenders to cover them. Phillips solution was to use Quin in this nickel-dime hybrid. It worked well in 2011, but then not so well in 2012 as Cushing and Sharpton both spent most of the season on injured reserve. The only players they had on the roster at ILB were run-stoppers, James, Sharpton, Dobbins, Ruud, Alexander. Not a good coverage man in the bunch.

Now Ed Reed has replaced Quin. Reed's not suited for run support or taking on tight-ends in man coverage. His tackling skills are not what they once were, the nerve-impingement issue with his neck, etc. He is suited to play ball-hawk deep in center-field, so Phillips must have a plan to balance his defense. Another safety is probably in the works. I read speculation they might draft at corner instead and move Harris to safety. They could re-sign Demps.

Brooks Reed could be moved to WILB in the base 3-4, but I think would rotate back outside on passing downs. He's a converted 4-3 DE who made an acceptable, not great, transition to 3-4 SOLB. I think it's a bit much to ask him to cover tight ends in the nickel. Moving Brooks Reed would also mean drafting or signing a starting SOLB for the base 3-4 package, assuming Mercilus become the starter at WOLB. Remember then that the defense is in the dime forty percent of the time and then you have either Reed or the new starting SOLB on the bench on passing downs.

If Phillips has indeed been using the dime in preference to the nickel for the last two seasons because he didn't have a viable WILB, then drafting/developing a WILB with cover skills would allow him to use a nickel 2-4-5 instead of falling straight to the dime. Going into the 2013 draft the biggest hole in the defense is at WILB.
Old 03-31-2013   #20
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wade's only been here for two years. What makes you think Wade wasn't just playing the cards he was dealt? I think letting Quin walk and the signing of Reed shows there is going to be a change in philosophy on defense. Depending on who else we add via FA and the draft it could really change.
Fair enough. But when we go dime (6 db's), who are the two players from our base package coming out? It's typically the NT and one ILB.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read