Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-29-2013   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Keenan Allen-WR

This guy didn't work out at the Combine due to swelling in his knee. From what I read at the time it was caused by working out to hard, whatever that is. Now he's also missed Cal's Pro Day workout due to knee injury. Does anyone have better info. or know what knee injury this guy has really suffered? He has a private workout scheduled for April 9th. Am I the only one beginning to think his knee injury might be more than some minor swelling since it's taking months to heal?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenan Allen-WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
This guy didn't work out at the Combine due to swelling in his knee. From what I read at the time it was caused by working out to hard, whatever that is. Now he's also missed Cal's Pro Day workout due to knee injury. Does anyone have better info. or know what knee injury this guy has really suffered? He has a private workout scheduled for April 9th. Am I the only one beginning to think his knee injury might be more than some minor swelling since it's taking months to heal?
He had planned to skip the Cal's Pro Day.
I wonder who will throw for him at the private work out.
Perhaps he wants somebody better than Maynard, LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

This is basically the #3 WR out there, right ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
This is basically the #3 WR out there, right ?
Depends on whose rankings you're looking at.

I think Mayock has him at #4 behind Deandre Hopkins. Walterfootball has him #3.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt.

"I'm not as enthusiastic about Cal wide receiver Keenan Allen as others are, which is why I don't have him going in the first round."

No Brainer huh!
Old 03-30-2013   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Does anyone have better info. or know what knee injury this guy has really suffered? He has a private workout scheduled for April 9th. Am I the only one beginning to think his knee injury might be more than some minor swelling since it's taking months to heal?
PCL on his left knee. Allen is scheduled to visit the famous Dr. Andrews to check out the knee. Clearly, this is troubling to some teams. I think someone in the late 1st or early 2nd will get a steal, because Allen is the most polished, pro ready WR in this draft.
Old 03-30-2013   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Allen is the most polished, pro ready WR in this draft.
I thought that guy was Deandre Hopkins ?
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Allen is the most polished, pro ready WR in this draft.
Quote:
I thought that guy was Deandre Hopkins ?
Allen is tops playing in/finding space, Hopkins I like better snatching it in coverage. Add them together and you get 85% AJ.

I'm very concerned about Allen's knee, though, and I'd like more info on what his ankle surgey was before the 2012 season too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Allen is tops playing in/finding space, Hopkins I like better snatching it in coverage. Add them together and you get 85% AJ.

I'm very concerned about Allen's knee, though, and I'd like more info on what his ankle surgey was before the 2012 season too.
Quote:
PCL on his left knee. Allen is scheduled to visit the famous Dr. Andrews to check out the knee.
Feel like a broken record here, many people have their minds made up already who haven't actually even seen him play. You know that little hitch route that is so effective for Schaub to Johnson, where Andre creates yards after the catch? this is what Allen excells at as well. I've made pro comparisons but apparently people choose not to read or believe in what I'm trying to communicate. Failure on my part I guess, getting tired of this whole process, guess that's to be expected after going at it past 10 years, just usually more educated posters in draft forum. There should really be no confusion with this WR class

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Feel like a broken record here, many people have their minds made up already who haven't actually even seen him play. You know that little hitch route that is so effective for Schaub to Johnson, where Andre creates yards after the catch? this is what Allen excells at as well. I've made pro comparisons but apparently people choose not to read or believe in what I'm trying to communicate. Failure on my part I guess, getting tired of this whole process, guess that's to be expected after going at it past 10 years, just usually more educated posters in draft forum. There should really be no confusion with this WR class
So it sounds like you are very big on Allen if you make any comparisons between him and AJ and would be delighted if the Texans got him ?
I don't follow college ball very much at all so I'm interested in what guys like you think about Draft prospects especially for the Texans since you know the players coming out. I've not seen any of these guys play, so I'm all ears when it comes to evaluations of the WRs this year since the Texans need help there so badly.
Old 03-30-2013   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So it sounds like you are very big on Allen if you make any comparisons between him and AJ and would be delighted if the Texans got him ?
I don't follow college ball very much at all so I'm interested in what guys like you think about Draft prospects especially for the Texans since you know the players coming out. I've not seen any of these guys play, so I'm all ears when it comes to evaluations of the WRs this year since the Texans need help there so badly.
Great player

But avg speed and knee/ankle injuries in college and avg speed to begin with = 2nd rd IMHO.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Feel like a broken record here, many people have their minds made up already who haven't actually even seen him play. You know that little hitch route that is so effective for Schaub to Johnson, where Andre creates yards after the catch? this is what Allen excells at as well. I've made pro comparisons but apparently people choose not to read or believe in what I'm trying to communicate. Failure on my part I guess, getting tired of this whole process, guess that's to be expected after going at it past 10 years, just usually more educated posters in draft forum. There should really be no confusion with this DWR class
Yeh I guess Gill Brandt has never watched film on Allen. Guess he isn't educated enough. From now on we all should just take your word for it.
Old 03-30-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yeh I guess Gill Brandt has never watched film on Allen. Guess he isn't educated enough. From now on we all should just take your word for it.
that's more like it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-30-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Three WRs in this draft that could eventually replace AJ: Allen (if knee 100%), Patterson (if interviews were not a sign of behavioral issues) and Da'Rick Rogers (if he is past his toking days). Andre Hopkins is just below them and almost same speed as Allen.
Old 03-30-2013   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

couple days ago- http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-c...nan-allen.html

I guess every fan base see something different, he compares him to a different Andre, Andre Reed who was their stud back in the day.
Quote:
Reed ranks near the top in nearly all NFL career statistical receiving categories. He went over 1000 yards four times in a 16 year career, is tenth in NFL history in total career receptions with 951 (behind only Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Isaac Bruce, Hines Ward, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Terrell Owens, and Marvin Harrison), ninth in NFL history in total career receiving yards with 13,198. Reed is also eleventh in NFL history in total career touchdown receptions with 87.
It's been awhile but what I remember, Reed was the Bills & Jim Kelly go to guy. Productive, dependable & capable of big plays. Both play a physical style & willing to go over the middle & take a hit without losing ball control. Of course that was then Keenan is like Andre Reed would be evolved with the game 20 years later. So it's a decent comp. very flattering actually. I would think most old Oilier fans would shutter to remember this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Com...rican_football)

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-31-2013   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Three WRs in this draft that could eventually replace AJ: Allen (if knee 100%), Patterson (if interviews were not a sign of behavioral issues) and Da'Rick Rogers (if he is past his toking days). Andre Hopkins is just below them and almost same speed as Allen.
This is a deep draft for WR. But, there are no superstars like AJ, Megatron, Green, etc.... To me the Texans shouldn't try to replace AJ in this draft, they should replace Kevin Walter. Get someone who can step in right away and play the #2 spot today and get AJ's replacement when there's someone with AJ's size and talent.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
This is a deep draft for WR. But, there are no superstars like AJ, Megatron, Green, etc....
This. People need to just stop talking about X guy has a chance of replacing AJ. If anyone from this draft class every produces like AJ it will be a fluke. This is a crud class of QB's so should be an easy class for WR's to not get pushed down. Instead nobody is being discussed as a top pick.
Old 03-31-2013   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This. People need to just stop talking about X guy has a chance of replacing AJ. If anyone from this draft class every produces like AJ it will be a fluke. This is a crud class of QB's so should be an easy class for WR's to not get pushed down. Instead nobody is being discussed as a top pick.
nobody is suggesting this WR class has even a top 10 pick, what this class does have is several prospects who would compliment AJ now, be productive sooner than later & possibly become the Texans future #1 when Andre hangs em up. Nothing more or less, same can be said for QB position. I don't think there should be a top 10 QB prospect this year, like you said it's a crud class, but teams who need to address this particular position still will target player X because of weakness in that area, only so many with next level ability, supply & demand. We could argue rest of year what Texans priority position actually is, most seem to agree that WR positions align with grade & need. One could argue Matt Schaub is good enough to lead Texans to a Superbowl but he just needs another WR threat, so teams cannot just focus on taking Foster & Johnson out of the offense. Someone else might feel that it's on Schaub that he has weapons but fails to flash ability to extend plays under pressure, making QB an even greater need. Yet many others who follow Texans feel it will be a defensive selection, that the offense is not that far of the mark & besides addition of Reed lack pass rush with exodus of Barwin & injury to Cushing/Reed or disruptive nose guard to penetrate middle of offensive line who warrants double teams.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-31-2013   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Allen strikes me as a very good possession receiver who wont stretch the defense. He may be an outstanding pro but not the guy who's going to strike fear into the heart of any dc. He seems SAFE (assuming ofcourse his knee checks out.)
Old 04-01-2013   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

I still think the Texans very likely will leverage the depth of this WR class and wait for the second round to take a receiver if the guy they want the most isn't on the Board at 27 or if there is no receiver they really want that badly anyway. Plus with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds (and 5 in the first 4), they might even draft 2 WRs within their top 4 or 5 picks. Up to now Rick Smith has not been the type to reach for a prospect or to move up in the Draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read