Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2013   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans cap space, as of March 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
So does that mean we do not have anything other than $4.9mil set aside for draft picks/rookies?
Right now our cap already accounts for a 53-man roster.
I estimate that we still have about a mil to spare, unless there's something goofy that is going on.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
So does that mean we do not have anything other than $4.9mil set aside for draft picks/rookies?
Pretty much .... tho with the new CBA and "slotted values" , I think they will be Ok.

Its what they do with whats left over that matters.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
This site says his cap hit next season would be $14.5 million, $17 million in 2015, and $19 million in 2016. Is that right? We could be stuck with him for 3 more years...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/
No way in hell is Schaub worth that kind of money.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #24
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Basically it would mean $10.5M of dead money that will hit us in 2014 (and we'll be done with it.

They would also have the option of designating him a June 1 cut (or actually cutting him after June 1), in which case, $3.5 Million of the dead money would hit the 2014 cap, and the remaining $7 Million would go against 2015.
Old 03-28-2013   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I estimate that we still have about a mil to spare, unless there's something goofy that is going on.
Unless Im mistaken , the cap only accounts for the top 45 salaries on the roster up to a specific point in time after which it must account for the 53 man roster.

I dont know what this 4.9 figure accounts for. It could be 53 , it could be 45.

The specifics of the cap take a damn rocket scientist to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
They would also have the option of designating him a June 1 cut (or actually cutting him after June 1), in which case, $3.5 Million of the dead money would hit the 2014 cap, and the remaining $7 Million would go against 2015.

Good point .... tho I dont know how you arrived at the figure. That is an option that would spread dead money out.

Old 03-28-2013   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, it accounts for the top 51 salaries. The 53 man cap doesn't kick in until the regular season starts. At that time, in addition to the additional 2 roster spots, the salary cap will also apply to any players on IR and all practice squad salaries.
Old 03-28-2013   #27
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Good point .... tho I dont know how you arrived at the figure. That is an option that would spread dead money out.
The amortization of his signing bonus (per SpotTrac) is $3.5 Million per year ($17.5 Million total - 5 year contract). At the end of 2013, there will be three unamortized years remaining on his contract. All other guaranteed money was in the form of base salary for 2012/2013 and will be completely burned of by the end of this coming season.
Old 03-28-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're correct. I forgot about that.

Different method of accounting is all.
Old 03-28-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually, it accounts for the top 51 salaries. The 53 man cap doesn't kick in until the regular season starts. At that time, in addition to the additional 2 roster spots, the salary cap will also apply to any players on IR and all practice squad salaries.
I understand.
All I mean is that we can start the season right now with enough players and under the cap.

We can sign all of our draft picks and will still be under the cap.
Old 03-28-2013   #30
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This site says his cap hit next season would be $14.5 million, $17 million in 2015, and $19 million in 2016. Is that right? We could be stuck with him for 3 more years...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/
I do not know the what the cap ramifications would be but I sure am hoping that the Redskins are willing to part ways with Kirk Cousins after next season in exchange for 2 high draft picks and we can part ways with Schuab. That would be ideal.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #31
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I do not know the what the cap ramifications would be but I sure am hoping that the Redskins are willing to part ways with Kirk Cousins after next season in exchange for 2 high draft picks and we can part ways with Schuab. That would be ideal.
If RGIII gets hurt again, I don't think they will.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The amortization of his signing bonus (per SpotTrac) is $3.5 Million per year ($17.5 Million total - 5 year contract). At the end of 2013, there will be three unamortized years remaining on his contract. All other guaranteed money was in the form of base salary for 2012/2013 and will be completely burned of by the end of this coming season.
Thanks for doing the leg work on that one .... I wasnt aware of specifics but knew they could get out from under the deal with reasonable cap fatigue after the coming season ..... $10.5 cap hit for 2014 if he's cut after 2013.

I rep'd you for your earlier post .... someone get him for me please.

Old 03-28-2013   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for doing the leg work on that one .... I wasnt aware of specifics but knew they could get out from under the deal with reasonable cap fatigue after the coming season ..... $10.5 cap hit for 2014 if he's cut after 2013.

I've got you covered!
Old 03-28-2013   #34
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Quote:
If RGIII gets hurt again, I don't think they will.
Yep but I think they will eventually trade Cousins unless RGIII's career is derailed by multiple injuries. They won't give both QB's a massive contract and there is little to no chance that the Redskins slap a franchise tag on a backup QB. The bad news is that he is under contract for 3 more years. If he plays like he did last year we need to really make a concerted effort to obtain his services.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 03-28-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammar
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #35
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 150 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy crap, the Bengals still have 29 million dollars in cap space?
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #36
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At that time, in addition to the additional 2 roster spots, the salary cap will also apply to any players on IR and all practice squad salaries.
I believe it is the signing bonus (if any) given to the practice squad player, and not his salary.

$4.9 million isn't much left, considering the Texans still have to reserve cap room for a rookie pool of 9 draft picks. They have more maneuvering to do.
Old 03-29-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Got him

I just hate the way Rick/Olsen spread the $$$$ out over the life of Schaub's contract.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I believe it is the signing bonus (if any) given to the practice squad player, and not his salary.

$4.9 million isn't much left, considering the Texans still have to reserve cap room for a rookie pool of 9 draft picks. They have more maneuvering to do.
Time to do some restructuring and bring in Casey Hampton as well.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #39
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Got him

I just hate the way Rick/Olsen spread the $$$$ out over the life of Schaub's contract.
They have done a real good job with most of their contracts .... the fact that they get walk away from it after a year of the extension with only the bonus money remaining is pretty amazing when you get right down to it.

Old 03-29-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Let's remember that the Texans current cap space is figured with the top 51 active contracts.
The Texans only need to carry 2 more players to make the full roster.

The late round picks (5th rd and later) have cap space that is about the same or lower than some of the players at the bottom of the totem pole we now have.

Let's say we sign the top 5 rookies (including the comp in the third), that would require roughly $4.2M in cap space for 2013.

However, that would bring the roster up to 56 players.

Let's say we cut the bottom 3 players (in term of money), that's a reduction of about $1.3M in cap space (or increase in cap space available.)

$4.9-$4.2+$1.3= $2M

The Texans should still have about $2M available in cap space to roll over to 2014.

Previously, I had put this estimation at $1M to be on the safe side.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read