Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-28-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default INFO for Diehards

Significant UFAs 2014 & 2015

2014: Earl Mitchell, Derek Newton and the Cush
2015: Watt, Kareem Jackson, Brooks Reed and Yates

2014 significant departures: Antonio Smith cap savings $9.5 million
Wade Smith cap savings $3.75 million TOTAL: $13.25m

If following are cut 2014 off season or traded.
AJ DOB (2015) 34 salary $10.5m prorated bonus owed: $6.2 m saving:$4.3
JJ DOB (2015) 31 salary $ 8.5 m prorated bonus owed: $3.75 saving: $4.75
MS DOB(2015) 34 salary $12.5m prorated bonus owed: $9.0 saving: $3.5
CM DOB (2015) 34 salary $6.0 m prorated bonus owed: $2.0 saving: $4. 0
Reed DOB (2015)37 salary $5.0 m prorated bonus owed $1.34 saving:$3.7

Total savings for 2015 season= $20.25 million.

IMO, we should focus on replacing these five in next three drafts (2013, 14 & 2015). I think Brooks Reed and Yates could be replace with draft.

All figures from Spotrac.com
Old 03-28-2013   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: INFO for Diehards

I'd be more willing to keep Brooks over Earl Mitchell.
Old 03-28-2013   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see the full list of 2014 FA.

Depending on their level of play Earl Mitchell, Derek Newton, and Brooks Reed could all be re-signed for a reasonable price, none is a superstar, just quality players worth keeping for reasonable contracts. I'd like to see Antonio Smith extended now for 2 more years but at a much more cap friendly level. If he refuses then he can be an over 30 FA who's still a good player but I don't think teams will beating down his door with huge contracts. I'd be very careful re-signing Cushing because of his injury and PED history. He shouldn't be to terribly expensive as I don't think ILB is a real expensive position and he could be replaced in the draft or with a cheaper FA. I'd hate to see him go and love what he brings to the team but I'd just be careful on Cushing. Replacements for Newton, Reed, Mitchell, and Wade Smith could all be drafted this year. It's just going to be a judgement call on the part of Rick Smith to re-sign vs. replace. It's times like this when I don't envy Rick his job. All of these players are worth keeping but when the owners keep the salary cap so stagnant then it creates these issues.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham Tate Sharpton Braman Jean.

Most likely only Graham needs attention, unless Braman or Jean play light out.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

They aint cutting #80. He'll retire before they put him thru the indignation of a cut. The man has been the epitome of professionalism and the face of the franchise for a decade.

J.J. - they'll extend him or re-work his deal before cutting him. He's a top 5 CB in the league. You dont let those guy's walk for nothing. Just take a look at the Jets.

Schaub - I can see them letting him go under the right circumstances.

Myers .... aint many cnters in the league better. He'll play out his deal I think.

Reed .... yeah , I can see him getting cut after his second year with the team.

FFS , you guy's want to start cutting people just for the sake of cutting them .... with no regard for what it will take to replace them or what it would cost to replace them with an equal or greater player.

Next thing you know you'll be talking about trading #80 & #99 for 7th round picks.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Graham Tate Sharpton Braman Jean.

Most likely only Graham needs attention, unless Braman or Jean play light out.
Graham should be re-signed reasonably, Tate will be gone in FA, Sharpton should be gone as well, I'd like to see Braman kept and given a real chance at OLB, he should be cheap, and Jean should be fighting for a roster spot in this years training camp. If Jean doesn't play lights out then he can leave as well.

Where does Owen Daniels stand as a FA?

Corrosion, I don't think BB was suggesting cutting anyone on that list. He was simply giving their salary cap figures if they were to be cut. Depending on Ben Jones development I can see Myers possibly getting the axe. Watt is going to be real expensive and that money has to come from somewhere.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

OD will also be a FA after 2014, but the money slotted for him will be more than enough. If we resign him, he most likely will get less, perhaps up to $2M less than what his cap space occupies in 2013 and 2014.
That should be enough to take care of Graham.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Significant UFAs 2014 & 2015

2014: Earl Mitchell, Derek Newton and the Cush
2015: Watt, Kareem Jackson, Brooks Reed and Yates

2014 significant departures: Antonio Smith cap savings $9.5 million
Wade Smith cap savings $3.75 million TOTAL: $13.25m

IMO, we should focus on replacing these five in next three drafts (2013, 14 & 2015). I think Brooks Reed and Yates could be replace with draft.

All figures from Spotrac.com
I'm sure that's what the FO is looking at too, but I just don't see them getting rid of AJ. I know a lot depends on his health and how he's playing, but I really think McNair will give him every opportunity to retire a Texan. It would suck for the fans and the Texans if they cut him and he goes somewhere else and wins a SB. We need him to win it here! Then enter the HoF as a Texan!

As for replacing those 5 over the next 3 drafts, I'm sure that's what they're looking at also. Myers replacement may already be on the team (B. Jones), and you can bet they'll draft a WR and a Safety. The WR may not be AJ's replacement, but it will be Walter's for sure.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I'm sure that's what the FO is looking at too, but I just don't see them getting rid of AJ. I know a lot depends on his health and how he's playing, but I really think McNair will give him every opportunity to retire a Texan. It would suck for the fans and the Texans if they cut him and he goes somewhere else and wins a SB. We need him to win it here! Then enter the HoF as a Texan!

As for replacing those 5 over the next 3 drafts, I'm sure that's what they're looking at also. Myers replacement may already be on the team (B. Jones), and you can bet they'll draft a WR and a Safety. The WR may not be AJ's replacement, but it will be Walter's for sure.
For some reason, I tend to believe that A J will take a pay cut if his health diminishes by a good percentage.

There could be a business opportunity for a company (with AJ as one of the principals) that somehow relates to Bob's circle, know what I mean.
Old 03-28-2013   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of us should stop being junior high gaga over certain players. Respect their talents (that they are paid quite well for) but realize that we do not get our own worth from them. Not all westerns end with the hero riding off into the sunset with the townspeople waving their hankies.

The new CBA (salary cap specifically) is changing everything. Let's look at AJ since he probably creates the most emotion when talking about a Texan. It would be exhilarating if AJ could retire after 2016 with another 1500 yd career and a SB. I doubt McNair is willing to expect that. As of today, there is no WR on roster who could be WR1 if AJ could not suit up. The nearest option is an yet undrafted rookie. Are you satisfied with a 34-35 year old AJ taking up appx 10% of the cap in 15 & 16? I say yes IF he has a 2012 season each of next three years. Anyone here want to guarantee that? I think most agree it takes a WR two years to be ready to start, if not three. AJ has four seasons on his deal. So what year do we select his future replacement? Some of us have AJ on our regular prayer list now.

Like someone once said, I love when we have a plan or something like that.
Old 03-29-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Like someone once said, I love when we have a plan or something like that.
At the end of every A-Team episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Peppard as Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
I love it when a plan comes together

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read