Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-26-2013   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some believe atmosphere is safe for gay NFL player to come out

I think it would be fine now days. Maybe not on every team or every situation, but I think a player could be fine with being openly gay unless he was out there making political statements and drawing extra attention to the issue. Other then that, I agree with some of the other sentiments that it would be the media that would create every controversial problem that would take place. They'll be stirring the pot like crazy when we see this eventually happen.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

People analyze this without any consideration beyond "gay."

There are huge differences in circumstances. Player just stops trying to hide it and shows up at a team party/event with his partner. He makes no attempt to say anything in the press about it. If a teammate goes off and makes an issue of it he will look like a giant male chicken in the press. If a guy all the sudden comes in dressed as Ru Paul and wants a press conference then he is going to be ill received.

That is a practical observation.

For a philosophical one: would you really think less of AJ if he came out tomorrow and said he was gay? If so, I think that reflects more on you than him.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-27-2013 at 12:40 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #23
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

For a philosophical one: would you really think less of AJ if he came out tomorrow and said he was gay? If so, I think that reflects more on you than him.
That's too difficult to try and even hypothesize because we know enough about AJ to know that he's got illegits out, who knows maybe gobs of them scattered about ? Give me another name ? Antonio, Kareem, anybody ?
But I'm with the brothers on this one, they don't want to walk around the locker room in the raw knowing another brother in their midst might want to shove his ying-yang up their butt-crack. Hell, they certainly realize they'd enjoy doing just that to a good looking young chick, drippin' wet, steppin out of the shower stall
right in front of them, why would they not assume in these circumstances that a gay brother would also lust for the same ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #24
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Meh, I wouldn't care if a player is openly gay but it could cause trouble in a locker room. I don't think it's right that a person feels that they cannot be who they want to be, but it's their colleagues that do that to them, not the fans really.
You don't think that this has already happened? That a player is known to be gay in the locker room and everyone just goes about their business?

Its the same situation as when I served in the military- there where guys (and gals) we KNEW were gay; most of us didn't care as long as they did their job.

Pretty sure its the same in the NFL locker room. Just do your job.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #25
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
There's few if any demographics in this country that expresses its machismo beliefs with more bravado on the one hand and on the other maintains a more enduring belief in its Christian faith than young, male African-Americans who also happen to dominate in the NFL both on its playing fields and in its locker rooms. And lots and lots of things are gonna have to change before the intimacy of those locker rooms is extended to a gay member.
Its very likely those locker rooms have already seen their fair share of gay athletes. It's not as if the the first pro football player to publicly come out means he'll also be the first gay player. The odds of that are very unlikely. It's also unlikely that other teammates didnt know which player(s) are gay.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #26
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's too difficult to try and even hypothesize because we know enough about AJ to know that he's got illegits out, who knows maybe gobs of them scattered about ? Give me another name ? Antonio, Kareem, anybody ?
But I'm with the brothers on this one, they don't want to walk around the locker room in the raw knowing another brother in their midst might want to shove his ying-yang up their butt-crack. Hell, they certainly realize they'd enjoy doing just that to a good looking young chick, drippin' wet, steppin out of the shower stall
right in front of them, why would they not assume in these circumstances that a gay brother would also lust for the same ?
Why is it ASSUMED that gay men want to screw every single straight man that walks by them? Why is it assumed that gay men are promiscuous and not committed to a partner?

Your own post shows that a lot of NFL players have multiple children with multiple women; look at the epidemic of Travis Henry's and Calvin Johnson's.

I have a gay friend who is and has been in a committed relationship for 27 years, another for 13 years, another for 34 yrs....

People need to step into the present and get out of the past.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #27
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Its very likely those locker rooms have already seen their fair share of gay athletes. It's not as if the the first pro football player to publicly come out means he'll also be the first gay player. The odds of that are very unlikely. It's also unlikely that other teammates didnt know which player(s) are gay.
Don't think so, not an openly gay teammate.
In recent days I've seen and heard atleast 2 ESPN reporters ( Michael Wilbon & J.A. Adande), both of whom are A-A men, say roughly the same thing as I'm saying right here. Not exactly the same, but approximately the same thing. It is an environment than most of us on this Board have no knowledge about, and just because you might be frustrated because pro jocks don't share your values & attitudes on this subject, too bad, don't make it any less true than it is.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2013   #28
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In recent days I've seen and heard atleast 2 ESPN reporters ( Michael Wilbon & J.A. Adande), both of whom are A-A men, say roughly the same thing as I'm saying right here. Not exactly the same, but approximately the same thing. It is an environment than most of us on this Board have no knowledge about, and just because you might be frustrated because pro jocks don't share your values & attitudes on this subject, too bad, don't make it any less true than it is.
So everything you're saying is also assumption.

I'd say a locker room is similar to the military prior to Don't Ask, Don't Tell being repealed. If you were gay, chances are people knew. Maybe some people didn't like it, but they'd deal with it. I think a locker room is probably the same way. When you're a team and you're around each other constantly from August to January or February, word will get around and the players will deal with it. Just speculation, but I doubt every gay athlete who's every played a sport has hidden it so no one in the locker room knows.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Put your well established record of disliking gays down for a moment and put on your logic cap for a second.

You generalize based on african-american christians dominating the NFL. You leave out typically gregarious rich young men who get together a lot and are recognizable in public. Being as such they draw willing chicks constantly. After a while of going out with a single guy and seeing him get hit on by chicks and he never hooks up or talks about being out on a date eventually you are going to conclude he's gay and just not saying anything. So yes I am sure there have been plenty of guys who have believed they have gay teammates without having to be told.

Quote:
Absurd objection to a hypothetical but OK - JJ Watt.
Old 03-27-2013   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

yawner topic for me. Most people (in the locker room) won't care. Some guys will be uncomfortable. Some guys will say something stupid. Some guys will be openly supportive. There will be no mass-mind reaction. It's like having a guy with an imaginary girlfriend in the locker room. He'll get some attention and there will be overreaction to everything anyone says. This topic is more for the 'Entertainment Tonight' crowd if you ask me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #31
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42997 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yawner topic for me. Most people (in the locker room) won't care. Some guys will be uncomfortable. Some guys will say something stupid. Some guys will be openly supportive. There will be no mass-mind reaction. It's like having a guy with an imaginary girlfriend in the locker room. He'll get some attention and there will be overreaction to everything anyone says. This topic is more for the 'Entertainment Tonight' crowd if you ask me.
Co-signed. I work at an all-sports network and no one gives a rats ass about gay. From a hockey perspective all they want to know is if you can put the puck in the net, drop the gloves and kick someone's ass or stop the puck. Of course, I'm in Canada so maybe we are a tad more liberal on the subject, but all you have to do is look at Brian Burke's work in "You Can Play" to see the efforts being made to make this a non-topic in hockey rinks/locker rooms.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Put your well established record of disliking gays down for a moment and put on your logic cap for a second.
Don't dislike them, actually I rather feel sorry for them because I understand their sexuality is nothing they chose yet because of just that they are now saddled with a decided disadvantage, a profound liability when compared to the norm that they must carry throughout their entire lives.
Quote:
You generalize based on african-american christians dominating the NFL. You leave out typically gregarious rich young men who get together a lot and are recognizable in public. Being as such they draw willing chicks constantly. After a while of going out with a single guy and seeing him get hit on by chicks and he never hooks up or talks about being out on a date eventually you are going to conclude he's gay and just not saying anything. So yes I am sure there have been plenty of guys who have believed they have gay teammates without having to be told.

Absurd objection to a hypothetical but OK - JJ Watt.
I'm talking about the situation where a guy comes out officially and publically and vocally announces he's gay: he's announcing to the whole world what he is and who he is and I'm simply saying there's not an NFL locker room in the league that's ready for that guy at this time nor will there probably be for sometime to come.
Old 03-27-2013   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I'm talking about the situation where a guy comes out officially and publically and vocally announces he's gay: he's announcing to the whole world what he is and who he is and I'm simply saying there's not an NFL locker room in the league that's ready for that guy at this time nor will there probably be for sometime to come.
I don't think you understand how fast the demographics on these issues are moving. In just 10 years the polls on gay marriage have gone from 40% to 60% for. Most of that change is in the youngest age brackets, i.e. when people are athletes. My kids go to religious private schools. Even there gay is simply not an issue as in the kids are condemning one another and yes there are openly gay students (and yup they are in the locker rooms).

You still ignored the question on JJ Watt.
Old 03-27-2013   #34
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think you understand how fast the demographics on these issues are moving. In just 10 years the polls on gay marriage have gone from 40% to 60% for. Most of that change is in the youngest age brackets, i.e. when people are athletes. My kids go to religious private schools. Even there gay is simply not an issue as in the kids are condemning one another and yes there are openly gay students (and yup they are in the locker rooms).

You still ignored the question on JJ Watt.
I saw one the other day that was even more dramatic that the one you thru out there - acceptance of gay marriage has gone from 40 to 53 % since May of last year ? SoI don't what to think of those kind of #s, would like to see the exact language of the questions and exactly who was and who wasn't polled ?
Re the hypo about JJ outing himself, of course that would certainly be off of the Richter scale, but even bigger would be such an announcement by an NFL black superstar if you are talking about the impact in the locker room. So OK, I went along with it, but not gonna happen.
Old 03-27-2013   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Co-signed. I work at an all-sports network and no one gives a rats ass about gay. From a hockey perspective all they want to know is if you can put the puck in the net, drop the gloves and kick someone's ass or stop the puck. Of course, I'm in Canada so maybe we are a tad more liberal on the subject, but all you have to do is look at Brian Burke's work in "You Can Play" to see the efforts being made to make this a non-topic in hockey rinks/locker rooms.
yep, well said. Like Tiger's new ad says:

Excel at your craft and win and most folks will care less about sexuality.
Old 03-27-2013   #36
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
As usual you're scary right Vinny!

Live and let live, I'll support any player that outs himself on grounds of homosexuality, but if he screws up his game (and I'm talking football here) I'll be the first one to pile on his rear.. (football-wise Again).

In other Words, be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want to do. This is freedom, be WHO you are... but get ready to catch hell if you play like rubbish
Old 03-27-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Stay in the closet,

My $$$$$ is on Micheal Vick, afterall herpes is running wild in the homosexual community.

Teo Teo daylight come and he want to get boned.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #38
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Did this come from Chris Culliver?
Old 03-27-2013   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm reminded of an Eddie Murphy dialogue where he reminds us that gay people can still kick your ass.

Those of us over 40(ish) remember that... "Raw" maybe?
Old 03-27-2013   #40
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

This quote from Frasier Crane sums it up:

Quote:
Roger, at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Roger, if I were using that microscope right now... I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem. Thank you for your call.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read